What's new

GE dvd player choked (1 Viewer)

AaronCushing

Agent
For Christmas 2002 my wife bought me a GE dvd player...our first. It was kinda pricey at the time, at about $180 CAD. A week later I had to exchange it, because it kept freezing on a frame, at random. A week or so ago we went to play a movie, and even after putting in the disc, the screen kept reading "please insert a disc." I've tried a handfull of different discs, none of which were scratched or damaged, all with the same result. I actually rented a TAPE not too long ago...and I hadn't done that pretty much for 2 years.

Is there a possibility that something is on the lens of the laser? How can I check that and/or clean that? Or is my machine toast?

Sure, I'd love to replace it with a multi-disc model, with progressive scan, but if it doesn't NEED to be replaced yet, then we'd like to have this one working -- it suits our needs just fine (when it works).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It could be that the player is particularly sensitive to certain discs and disc conditions. I have three machines. Occasionally, one machine might give me a disc-read error ("Insert Disc") while another will play the same disc effortlessly. And all my DVDs are in pristine, mint condition.

Which brings me to: Are you feeding the machine clean, scratch- and dust-free discs? And are you keeping the player clean and dust-free?

AaronCushing

Agent
yep. Discs are all in good shape, and the player has had no PB&J stuffed into it ;) Is there such a contraption as a lens cleaner I can get for it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there's a disc you can "play" that cleans the lens. Never have used it, so I don't know how well it works.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I hate to tell you this, but a GE DVD player that sold for CA$180 2.5 years ago should probably be considered disposable and well past its expected expected replacement date. :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And Dan brings up another point: the fact of fragile, flimsy low-cost players that wear out all too soon. 'Fraid it might be better to opt for a new machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks