GCN in Dolby Pro Logic II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peter, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I'd like some feedback from you guys on how good the Pro Logic II is on GCN. Especially a comparsion between it and regular pro logic. Do you think it's worth getting for the GCN?

THanks!

2. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I think DPLII works very well. As a matter of fact, I'd recommend not just for GCN, but for watching TV as well. It really opens up the soundstage on Stereo and Surround broadcasts.

As for GCN, Wave Race, Luigis Mansion, and RL in particular, they all sound phenominal. If more game makers start devloping in DPLII, then we won't be missing out on not having DD 5.1.

Mike D.

3. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Just to clarify here, only Rogue Leader is in DPL2. Wave Race and Luigi aren't, and neither is any of the other launch titles.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I think DPLII is great! I've got an N64, and DPLII does great things for Jet Force Gemini and Rogue Squadron. It's also good for TV shows and music. In all cases, it is significantly better than regular DPL.

I don't know that it's worth getting a new receiver just for DPLII (unless you watch a lot of TV and/or older movies that are DPL), but it is nice. I chose to get it rather than a 6.1-capable receiver, thinking it would be more useful overall.

While DD5.1 is better for surround sound than DPLII, DPLII is surprisingly effective given appropriate source material. And my experience and others' reviews suggest that channel separation and steering in DPLII can approach that of DD5.1.

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I guess I'm wondering specifically about the GCN and games (apparently only Rogue Leader) designed for DPL II, not older DPL games. Very interested if it's as good as 5.1.

Thanks

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

8. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Dolby Pro Logic II is NOT discrete. And it refers to a more advanced matrixed decoding method than regular Pro Logic. One main difference between original Pro Logic and II is that DPL decodes one rear channel but sends it to both rear speakers whereas DPL II decodes 2 different channels.

While it is a great impreovement on DPL, it is not up to Dolby Digital or DTS.

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

According to www.dictionary.com
    dis·crete (d-skrt)
    adj.
    Constituting a separate thing.
    Consisting of unconnected distinct parts.

So, DPLII could be considered discrete since the rear surrounds can have seperate sounds going to each of them, and unlike DPL, DPLII can send the full bandwidth to the rear channels, just like DD 5.1 & DTS. DPL single rear was bandwidth limited.
    And yes, I know DD has 5 seperate channels and DPLII has to "take them" from 2 channels, but the end result you hear is much the same.
    In RL, the sound test has the TIE fighter circling my room, just like my Video Essentials disc has the voice circling in DD 5.1.
    [EDIT]
    I guess DPLII ISN'T discrete in the terms most HT's use. I assume it's in reference to the channels. I guess what I'm saying is in the discrete sound you here...

10. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

See my edit above...

I'm refering to discrete sound.

12. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    According to your definition, stereo and DPL are discrete, at least for front channels.

It still doesn't change the fact that the rears are not truly discrete, just matrixed out from 2 channels. Yes, they are not mono as in DPL, but not discrete.

13. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I am a little unclear on the DPL II for the Gamecube. I wasn't aware that DPL II was an encoding scheme i.e., "game makers start developing in DPL II". I thought that DPL II was simply a new decoding scheme that could be used on DPL or stereo material. Therefore, there would be no "developing in DPL II". The DPL II decoding scheme just does a better job of separating the rear channels. The discrete channels in DD 5.1 come from the fact that the soundtracks are encoded with 5 discrete channels. DPL II can't achieve this because there is no encoding scheme for 5 channels. That is not to say the DPL II can not sound good on games, just that the difference between DPL II and DD 5.1 is the lack of an encoding system for the former. Help me clear this up if I am wrong.

14. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I believe Factor 5 created a system to code for DPLII called MusyX or something like that. There was an article on ign.com about it. Let me see if I can find it.
    [Edit]
    Here it is:
    http://cube.ign.com/news/38639.html
    And a Quote from Julian Eggebrecht, Factor 5's pres.:

15. Michael St. Clair

Jeff,

To put it simply, the programmers figured out a way to 'trick' DPLII and get 5 discrete channels out of it. Dolby did not even expect this to happen, it is not an intended 'feature' of DPLII.

16. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I had no idea that was possible. One of the reasons that I went with the Xbox was because it offered DD 5.1 and I thought GC would only be in DPL. I guess it wouldn't make any difference though, since my receiver doesn't have DPL II. I'll have to find someone with the GC to check it out.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I essentialy downloaded DPLII to my Tag Mclaren processor for use with my LD back catalogue. It works wonders with discs like the Indiana Jones trilogy, indeed, the performance you'll get from DPLII is very much dependant on the quality of the source material.

I'd never even thought to run videogames in DPLII Movie mode. Naturally I run Rogue Leader in the format and it sounds superb, but only when I ran thing like Luigi and Monkeyball did I slap myself in the face and ask why I never ran my Dreamcast is DPLII.

I'm not a huge fan of DPLII music mode, I'll always prefer straight stereo, but Movie Mode works well with standard pro logic material. The more dynamic a Pro Logic mix is, the more impressive Pro Logic 2's delivery will seem.

The format is more than another pointless DSP mode.

Dan (UK)