What's new

GC, what do I need to get started, and is it the right choice? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
OK, what do I need for an inclusive GameCube setup? My fiancé is starting to buckle, and I think she is going to let us (me) get a GC. I had looked at X-Box and PS2 also, and I think it really comes down to GC and X-Box. With the $100 price difference, the GC is looking pretty good. I think all of the systems will have good games, and I think Pikmin looks sweet, and I have always been a Nintendo guy. One thing that has bugged me in the past is the lack of “adult” titles for the Nintendo systems. Every game is like a cartoon. I have read that Perfect Dark and Resident Evil are coming to GC though, and that sounds promising. Do you think Nintendo will be able to kill the stigma?

So, that being said. If I decide to bring a GC and one game home, what do I need. I need the box and the game, and then I’ll have one controller. If I get Pikmin, I can hold off on a second controller until I get a sports game or something. What about saving games though? I have plenty of inputs on my setup, so I’m not worried about that. Is there anything else I’m forgetting?

WallyB

Agent
You will need a Memory Card (I recommend the 1st-party MemoryCard59) to save any progress or game settings (since the GC uses a disc-based media) and I would recommend a 3rd party controller cable extension. I have extensions for both of my controllers so that I don't have to lean forward on the couch to play. You may also want to buy an S-Video cable bundle if interested, or order the component cables from Nintendo.com (if your system has component inputs). The component cables will give you a progressive and an interlaced signal, depending on whether the particular game supports progressive scan.

Enjoy!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you have to get one game, I would suggest either Rogue Leader, Pikmin, or Super Smash Brothers Melee. It all depends on what type of game you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks