GC Owner: Is it toolate to get an XBox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Feb 6, 2002.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I chose the NGC over the XBox when buying myself an Xmas present this year and I have mixed emotions. I loved Star Wars, but other than that, none of the games I like are exclusive to Nintendo. They are also really slow in getting games out I want to play (and Perfect Dark has been pushed back a couple years it seems).

I am seriously considering getting an XBox when Buffy comes out in March (and buying Halo, DOA3, and a racing game to boot).

Just wondering if there are still consoles on the shelf, or should I try Ebay. Also, I have had rumors there are hardware problems with the Xbox. Any confirmation?

I like the cube. It plays well, the controls feel good, (though the Z button should be moved to where one of my middle fingers rest) and it's durable (I've pulled it off the coffee table a couple times without incident). I'm just tired of waiting 3, 6, 9 months or longer for something new to play.

2. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up my Xbox at Sam Goody last Friday and haven't had any problems yet. If I were you I'd go out now and get an Xbox. This is the best system I've ever played!

Brion

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I was in the opposite position as you Larry. I had an Xbox (ps2 also) but was wanting more. I beaten Halo twice in legendary, have Max Payne for PC, and don't feel like beating Air Force: Delta Storm all the way through. I'm not much of a sports fanatic so obviously the current games on GC are appealing.

I saw a guy selling a nice Gamecube bundle in the Hardware for sale/trade section for $300 and snatched it up. I was planning on selling the extra games I didn't like on eBay to make some money back, but as it turns out I like all the games and plan on keeping them (or at least playing them the whole way through).

And no problems with the Xbox hardware here. Just watch out for the quasi-DD 5.1 launch games that make little use of the center channel. Halo is one.

4. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I have seen them on the shelf at my local Target rather frequently. MS has been shipping out systems at a good pace.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

There are no less than 12 XBOXen on the shelf at my local Target (but no GameCubes for the last 4 months [​IMG] )
    I am a proud GameCube owner and I feel just the opposite. I like Nintendo because they have so many EXCLUSIVE games (Zelda, Mario, Star Fox)... If I want to play shooting games, I use my PC [​IMG]
    PS: Isn't Halo still coming out for PC? Or did Micro$oft nix it?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Halo is coming to PC, but not until the network code is finished. If the game comes out w/o that on PC no one will buy it
    There hasn't been an FPS w/o network play since Wolfenstein 3-D [​IMG]

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Actually, I'm just hoping Sony will drop the PS2 price to $199 sooner than later, so I can pick one of those up. Now there's something to envy (FFX, MGS2, Ico, GTA3, GT3, VF4).

Oooooohweeee!

8. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

I was in a similar situation - I had my choice of console for Christmas and I went with Gamecube. Mainly because I have always been a fan of Nintendo consoles - I've had them all and wanted the classic Nintendo games. Well unfortunately those classics are not here yet - there are some good games out but I was looking for something more.

Since I was out nothing on the Gamecube - thanks to my wife and other relatives buying me all I needed and the fact that I had about $300 in Best Buy Gift Certificates I decided to take the XBOX plunge... Plus I have an HDTV and 5.1 setup (like most here) and wanted to take full advantage of it.

So I went out bought my XBOX and a handful of games...

I let it sit for a while as I decided whether or not to keep it (thinking 2 consoles was too much). After about an hour or two I opened her up and never looked back.

From the second I enabled 480p/1080i and 5.1 surround sound I was in heaven... I popped in Halo and found the game I was looking for... great graphics / sound and most importantly great gameplay.

I'm glad I have both systems but if I would have to choose one today it would be XBOX. The games out so far are more to my liking and I actually prefer the XBOX controller to the Gamecube's. My 'Cube isn't going anywhere though as I know some killer titles are coming out eventually.

9. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Im with Jantzen on this one. I couldn't be happier with the XBox. I also got a GC (before X-mas) but it was only for the Rogue Leader II game... great game, but I literally haven't played it since I tried out Halo. Now Im playing FFX and I think my GC will continue to collect dust. Im thisclose to trying to sell it. XBox is great - as much as I though the PS2 was unbeatable, I have to admit that I was wrong.

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Halo currently seems to be lined up for the coming Christmas on PC. While it would be insane to release it without that apparently (I've yet to get my hands on the thing) wonderful multiplayer, there have been plenty of FPSs on the PC that shipped 1 player only. The Thief series, Deus Ex and Max Payne just to name a few.

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Finding XBOX in stock depends on what part of the country you're in. Around Atlanta, I was having a heck of a time finding one in stock. I tried most every place I could think of that didn't mark up the price or force you to buy a package.
    Finally wound up buying mind from www.etoys.com. Good prices and had it in about 4 days. Shipping was cheaper than tax.

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I know this an XBox thread but I have to say that I have a 'Cube and right now it's collecting dust. All I play is my PS2 because of all the great games. When I'm done with GTA3 I'll go to MGS2. After that I'll pick up KO Kings 2002 for the PS2 and maybe State of Emergency or the new FF. Maybe after all that I'll get back to Pikmin for the 'Cube. Regardless of all these games, that Xbox is staring to look good to me. I want to hold out until more great games come out though.

-Andre F

13. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

I bought my XBOX about two weeks after launch at ToysRUs. They still have them in stock because of a good relationship with Microsoft and you do not have to buy it in a bundle. I did, however, buy Shrek and DOA3. Halo was sold out so I picked it up at Best Buy. Stay away from Shrek unless you have little kids. Shrek is terribly frustrating because of the camera and constant respawning of enemies but little children just enjoy for running around, farting and belching. I get a kick out of watching my 5 year old play and giggle.

Lastly, I agree with the other posters that the XBOX is better than anything else on the market, especially if you have an HDTV with Dolby Digital. Incredible! But PS2 and GameCube aren't slouches either.

14. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Go to www.ebgames.com
    You can create your own bundle and there is no taxes! Periodically, they offer free shipping too.

15. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I got a GameCube at launch, and I haven't touched in a while. I finished Luigi and Rouge Leader, so now I'm back to playing my PS2. There's at least 5 games out right now that I want for the PS2, and Metal Gear has my attention right now. Unfortunately, nothing else that's out right now for the GC is catching my attention. I'll be picking up an X-Box next week at Best Buy. The guy I called said that they always have some available, and I got a gift card for Christmas that I haven't used yet. It's this Forums fault! All this talk about Halo has got me all in a tizzy [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

16. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I picked up all 3 on their launch days. I usually get all of them in order to have the platform specific games. I just finished Halo, so nothing for ME to play on the Xbox, I have Rouge Leader to finish (and Super Monkey ball), the only 2 GC titles I have left (returned Luigi's) all of which fell to the wayside when I got my copy of Maximo for the PS2!

Games come in waves, there will always be a lull somewhere, which is all the reason to own all the consoles, there is always a game coming out for one of them!

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm looking forward to getting an X-Box, but until then, I have my GameCube and PS2 to keep me happy.

If you can get one now, do so.