GC NCAA 2K3 vs NCAA 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm sure most of you will favor the Madden based 2003...but in general I'm a fan of the Sega Sports games. I need to decide which to purchase...and I thought I'd ask you guys. I have NCAA2k2 for DC, and it kinda sucks...is 2k3 any better?

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Ditto Matt. I prefer the Sega Sports games. NFL2K and NFL2K1 were brilliant. NFL2K2 had a some kinks, and was not brilliant, but it was pretty good. NFL2K3 looks like the best football game yet. All the NBA2K games were brilliant. NHL2K series have been very good, especially 2K1. But I'd have to give the edge to EA here. As for Tennis and Baseball, Sega is king, if you excuse the ridiculous WSB2K2.

So I agree with you. As for your question, everything points to it being the best. PS2 magazine said it was more polished, as well as looked, sounded, and played better. That's what I heard. Can't verify it. But I'm buying NFL2K3. I just prefer the way it plays.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Kewl...that's what I'll probably do then. I'm sure it would be pretty hard for me to be disappointed.

Thx Terrell.

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I had NCAA 2K2 and didn't like it too much. The actual gameplay was great but the recruiting and other areas were messed up... I took it back and went back to NCAA 2001 for PS1...

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...2K2 had problems...especially when they played the IU fight song for Purdue. [​IMG]
    That's really what I'm looking to find out...if they have improved on 2K2, or if it is virtually the same game w/better graphics. Does anyone have a comprehensive preview up...?

6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I didn't buy any of the NCAA football games, so I can't comment on it. IGN has a semi-preview up, and an article on the highly revamped franchise mode of NFL2K3.
    Here's one link:
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/363/363985p1.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It sure is purdy!

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Kewl...thx Terrell.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Any more ideas? Any early reviews? I really wanna play a college football game...and would like to know if I should wait for 2k3 or buy NCAA 2003 now.

9. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Matt Stone,
    Check out www.operationsports.com This site is great if you are looking for information on any sports game plus the forums can be a source of useful information.
    From what I have heard on Operation Sport NCAA 2003 is supposed to be better that NCAA 2k3. I have never purchased or played a college level football game so I have no hands on opinion. At the pro level I too am going to buy NFL 2k3.
    Chris

10. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Terrell,
    There is a huge error in that last image -
    The Packers don't give up rushing touchdowns. [​IMG]
    Bryan

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hmmm...I guess I'll just wait for 2K3. I would go with 2003 right now, but damn I hate the Madden engine. I got Madden 2002 for the GC last year...and I just can't stand it.

Unless NCAA 2003 is leaps and bounds better than 2K3...I'll just wait.

Thanks guys!

12. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

IGN.com just raked the PS2 version of 2K3 -- it got a 6.8 on a scale of 10. Review gave high marks to graphics (especially stadiums) but also criticized the title for poor A.I., an uninspired playbook, and some rather unacceptable gameplay bugs (failing to award safeties, for example.)

I love college football, am already playing NCAA Football 2003, and was looking forward to this one (already pre-ordered it.) Oh well. . .

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hmmm...crap. Looks like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Play a great game with an engine that I hate, or play a crummy game with an engine that I love.

Decisions, decisions...

14. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

NCAA 2003 got much better reviews all around than NCAA 2K3 did. I like Sega Sports (especially NBA 2K2) but I'm going with EA when it comes to college football.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I should probably do the same. I just hate that damn Madden engine, I can never get the hang of it.

16. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Reviews of NCAA Football 2K3 (Sega's offering) are up at www.operationsports.com
    In summary, the game has some pretty bad AI and some inexcusable bugs. All in all, the reviewer gave the game a 6.8 / 10.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hmmm...It doesn't sound that awful...but this would be a much easier decision if I liked the Madden engine.

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Alright, pulled the trigger and picked up 2003 today. I've gotta say...after a couple of games, I really like it. Thanks for the help deciding guys!