GBA-too damn small!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Not sure if it's just the GBA that's too small, or that it's just too uncomfortable to use, but I'm having a hell of a time with the L and R buttons. Usually, I rest my index fingers lower (in the indents), since a lot of games don't actively use these buttons that much. Started playing Metriod Fusion though, and noticed that it's really cramped to try to play with your fingers on L and R. Perhaps more incentive to get a GBA player for my GC?

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I'm with you, the L & R buttons are definately a pain sometimes. And yes, I would say that is another reason for the list of why one should purchase a GB Player in a few months. [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yeah, they can be annoying, but Nintendo was smart enough to make them wider the closer into the center of the unit they go, so you can rest your finger around the whole button and push down.

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I guess I've never had a problem with it. It's very similar to the SNES controller and I played the heck out of my SNES, so the comfort came right back to me.

Glen

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I have more of a problem with the teeny tiny d-pad. But it's just a little quibble (pun intended [​IMG] ).
    -Dave

6. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

7. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Yes, the GB Player will relax eyes all across the world when it releases. The US release date is in May, but nothing is set in stone just yet. The name is GB Player, not GBA Player. [​IMG]

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Fits perfectly in my hands....

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Andre,
    Well if that's a picture of you in your sig, I don't doubt it fits perfectly fine. [​IMG]
    As for those of us with adult sized hands, the GBA can cramp the hell out of them. I had to stop playing Circle of the Moon for that exact reason. The GB Player should help out considerably!
    I'm thinking about importing one - Does anyone see any problems with that?

10. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Rumor has it that the JPN GB player will not work for US games.
    I read something on IGN about it, but can't find the article now.
    I'll post it if I can track it down.
    Edit: found it
    http://pocket.ign.com/articles/377/377835p1.html
    ]IGN story[/url]
    Glen

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Even so, you could still play imported games on the GB player.

12. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with the assessment that the L & R button can be a real pain. I'm holding the SNES controller and GBA, side by side, and pressing on the shoulder buttons, it's obvious to see that the SNES controller was designed so that adult index fingers could rest on the whole shoulder button while maintaining a comfortable feel without cramping, while still allowing the hands of children to get to the ends of the shoulder buttons (which is actually where they depress). You can basically do the same with the GBA, but it's nowhere near as comfortable. I've never thought myself to have particularly bigs hands (on occasion I'd have problems holding onto the football in high school and college after all...heh), but the GBA could have been a bit more "adult-hand-friendly" with just a minor adjustment or two in the design.

13. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

no, you would not be able to play imported games on your GBA player, not because the GBA games would be incompatibel, but because the GB PLayer requires a bootdisk, which if imoorted would be incompatible with your (un-modded) cube.

14. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Thank the Lord I have a modded GameCube! [​IMG]

15. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

When I play my GBA for a prolonged period, my pinky & ring fingers have a nasty habit of going to sleep on me which is really weird

16. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Well then just wait for the Gameboy DS or the PSP. They'll be even more complaints. Can't anyone be happy.