What's new

GBA-SP Launch Deals (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Which is why I never buy used, or from eBay. ;)

For those brave souls that ventured out today, what does stock/demand look like? Especially at places like Target? Are they selling out immediately, or is there enough stock to last demand, at least through today?

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
Just picked up the last Platinum SP from my local Best Buy. $99.99, but they include a free case. They had two Cobalt ones left.

I pre-ordered one from DVD Empire, but they are not releasing them until the 28th. I just canceled that order.

--Rog

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
So for those of you that own a new GBASP already, what do you think of them? How is the light? And what do you mean "precharged?" Do they just come with some free AA's like the GBA did?

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
The light works awesome. I was a little concerned when I found out it wasn't going to be backlit, but the side lights work just fine. I played with it a little in some dark rooms and had no problems seeing anything. And it's so nice to not have that big ol' glare from an external light.

My battery came pre-charged also, though it wasn't fully charged. The manual says to charge it all the way before using it the first time, so that's what I'm doing now.

--Rog

Nathan A

Second Unit
darn you people who can play it in a moving vehicle...it makes me feel sick.

i don't really have any need to play it anywhere other than home, so i just sit down in my bedroom, living room, or...bathroom! and play the games that are worth playing. it does have a good number of great exclusives.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I have to give Kudos to Compusa today. Their advertised Coblalt GBASP with Guilty Gear X for $99.99 was a good deal. They had some Platinum GBASP avialable and I took both color versions up to the check stand. I was hoping to get the Platinum instead - I spoke with their manager and he approved it! I was one happy camper when I heard that new. Woo hoo! I guess, he mentioned since it was an instant rebate I was able to get that deal. :)

Good luck to you all!

bruce

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
For all that trumpeted the need to preorder...phooey. At least in the Twin Cities, GBA SP's were in abundance, across the city.

Sunday is a shopping day (groceries @ SuperTarget, Best Buy), and I saw GBASP's in both colors well stocked, late in the day. Around 5 p.m., I picked up a platinum with a free game (driver 2) at SuperTarget.

Matt Davis

Auditioning
i wound up buying at circuit city.
came with iron man, or defender.
i went with iron man.
i got there right as they opened, and they had plenty
on gba-sps, but not to many of the free games.
so far i'm loving metroid fusion. and the light does
work wonders. especially at night. i had an original gba,
and sold it because i couldn't see a damn thing.
good job nintendo!
-matt
:D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
This new GBA is great... I am actually ENJOYING Castlevania: Circle of the Moon now because I can see EVERYTHING on screen! :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question..

EB GAmes told me that I could trade in old games for further discounts on my Zelda Pre-order that I placed in January. Anyone know if this will work for the GBA SP deal as well?

I'm extremly torn between tradnig in my old system, or just buying a new GBA SP at one of these stores that are offering a free game deal..

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt Birchall said:

KeithH--Namco. That's all I played at the tourney. Good stuff. Perfect emulations of the original arcade versions. You'll like it.
I've played the game on a friend's Game Boy Advance. It's great. I'm just waiting for my SP now. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that the initial word on the SP is positive. Hopefully mine will arrive from bestbuy.com soon.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I've been trying to make up my mind about getting an SP. I have a standard GBA already and the reality is that I'm spending most of my free time at work reading and at home playing WSB 2K3 (when you're married and have a 2 year old, take what time you can get - sleep is the easiest thing to sacrifice :)). I could trade in the GBA at EB for $35, but that would leave me with a fair number of accessories that I suppose I could ebay. I also have Super Puzzle Fighter 2 for PSX which is another ebay-able item. Then the grown up part of me says that this is not something I have to do right now either. And lastly Circuit City has to go and run the GameCube for $129 this week... Decisions, decisions....

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
I got 2 emails from DVD Empire today, one said that the release date for the GBA SP was changed. My firs thought was "it's being delayed". Then I read the email and found out the release date was changed to TODAY!! :) . The other email said my GBA SP has shipped.:) :) :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I was so lucky to find mine a few weeks back and couldn't be happier with the SP. Everything about it, design-wise, button-wise, lighting-wise, is superior to the GBA.

I went and finished two of my GBA games that i never got around to finishing because I could never find the right lighting conditions when I was in the mood to play. :)

~j

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Got my GBA today! Man, is this thing small. Should have renamed it GameSquare. I'm recharging it now as someone else suggested, despite the fact that it comes precharged for two hours worth of play.

Tommorow will be the real test. I'm gonna head out at aroudn 6 AM to listen to my favorite radio show in the car. Mostly just to get out of the house, and to REALLY put this light to the test. It'll be a nice change not to have to use the car light to play games or the worm light...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks