GBA - questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdR, Jan 6, 2003.

1. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I'm about ready to buy a GameBoy Advance, but I have a few questions about it. My main motivation is so I can get an island in Animal Crossing ;-) -- not that I haven't considered getting a GBA in the past...but AC tipped the scales.

First, what are the absolute best games? I'm not really into RPGs, but arcade, shooters, puzzle, platformers, racing...all good.

From looking at them in the past, it seems like the screen darkness could be an issue...is it? Does anyone think that Nintendo will be releasing one with a backlit screen in the near future? I've seen that there's a mod for it ("afterburner" I think) to add a backlight...but it looks scary to add on, has anyone used this?

Can anyone recommend a good front light for it?

Lastly, can you play original Gameboy games on it? I still have a bunch laying around...

2. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Here are a few gaming recomendations.
    Racing
    GT Advance 2 (battery backup)
    Platformers
    Super Mario Advance 2
    Super Mario Advance 3
    Metroid Fusion
    Wario Land 4
    Those are just some of the games that I would recommend.
    I would seriously consider buying your GBA with an Afterburner already preinstalled. You can spend around $100 dollars and get one already installed into a unit. Also, you can get just about any color for the GBA that way.
    You can also play original GB games on it.
    Best of luck,
    Glen

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

There's a device called the GBA Player for GameCube in a few months that lets you play GBA games on your GameCube using the GCN controller and all, which would reduce the problems with the GBA's size and screen being dark. But, you can't trade stuff with AC and other GCN games, so I would recommend getting a GBA and the GBA Player if you could. Otherwise, just get a GBA (and make sure to get a GBA/GCN link cable).

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i second metroid fusion, and i cant recommend a link to the past highly enough. maybe you know this, but if you have a gba and metroid fusion, and hook it up with the gba/gc link cable to your gc with metroid prime, you can play the original metroid from 1986. its my current mission...

6. EdR

EdR Second Unit

OK, I resisted the urge to pick one up at lunch, and instead took Glenn's advice and bought one online with the afterburner installed. I know I'd regret not getting it with the backlight...I learned from my experience with my first Palm Pilot that having a backlight can save a lot of headaches...literally.

So now I just need to wait until it comes...so keep those game suggestions coming!

I thought I heard you could play original GB games on it, but the GB cartidges are so small, I don't see where they would go in the GBA.

7. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

GameBoy Color played regular GB games, so if the GBA plays GBC games, why wouldn't it play GB games?

The GBA Player for GCN won't be able to work with GCN games because to play GBA Player with games, you need to use the special boot disc. You can't boot up a GameCube game and access a GBA game through the player unless the GCN game is designed to.

9. MikeAlletto

EdR are you going to be kicking yourself if nintendo announces a new gba backlit tomorrow? They are supposedly having a press conference about something. Then again people have been saying this for months...

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ah yes, the Megaton Announcement...
    Still waiting [​IMG]

12. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

You might want to hold off on the GBA w/the Afterburner if this is true.

13. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Hmm...just my luck. Well, I don't think I'm going to cancel my order...I can always sell it on Ebay and get a new one if I want.

If the GBA 2 turns out to have more processing power, then I'll be more interested...but if its the same machine with a backlight, then it's not such a big deal.

Thanks for the heads-up though!

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Ed,
    The GBA SP has the same motherboard and processor as the GBA. With the exception of the rechargable battery, different form factor, and frontlit screen, it's the same as the currently available GBA.

15. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Oh, it's frontlit (or sidelit)? That's interesting, I find most frontlit screens (like on Palm Pilots) to be inferior to backlit (like on Handspring Visors)...but of course, a backlit screen added to a device not designed for one might be a different story.

16. MikeAlletto

17. EdR

EdR Second Unit

18. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

19. EdR

EdR Second Unit

From the USA Today article

20. EdR

EdR Second Unit

To update. I got my GBA W/ Afterburner in. It's nice, certainly a vast improvement over unlighted. But it's not perfect. I don't notice any problems except for the moire, and a slight trapezoid from some angles, but I don't even notice either while I'm playing a game.

I got it with the digital dimmer, which is very helpful in situations where there is some ambient light, it looks best to trun the internal light down a bit.

I do believe that the SP will look better though, especially when it comes to saturation...since the LCD will be tuned with a light in mind.

Game wise, I kinda played the field and bought a variety of games to check out:

Colin McRae 2
    Gradius Galaxies
    SSX Tricky
    Super Monkey Ball jr
    Namco Museum
    Pinball of the Dead

I'm impressed with all these games, especially CMR2, and POTD.

Thanks for the advice, I will be looking into Metroid Fusion, GT Advance and the Mario Advance games.