What's new

GBA Price Reduction Confirmed (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, those prices I listed are bang on the nail for GBA games. Do a little research.

Eric Nees

Agent
There is a chance that Nintendo will come out with a frontlit GBA. I know this is going to sound like a bunch of BS, but someone I sort of know that works at Nintendo of America mentioned once that he'd seen a GBA around the office that did have a frontlight. He didn't say they would be coming to market or anything like that (and I can't ask him). For all I know it could've been some uber-geek’s personal project like the guy at the Portable Monopoly website. So it could mean nothing, but at least we know some people at Nintendo have thought about it.

In the meantime I suggest this, buy the GBA at the new price and they get a front lighting kit from the Portable Monopoly site, the total for all that should be about $110. If Nintendo were to introduce a GBALight, I'm sure it would be introduced at 100 dollars, with the vanilla GBA at 80 or so. So you wouldn't really be burned in the long run anyway, plus you'd have a nice visible GBA screen much sooner.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
To answer my own question...yes, the GBC is dead.

Morgan, your price estimates are wrong. Brian is correct.

This price drop is a first for me, for 3 reasons:

1. It comes at a very odd time in the system's life span (6 months after release).

2. It comes at a very odd time of the year. This type of price drop just doesn't happen in January when retail sales are at their lowest point of the year.

3. The GBA is an absolute success. It sells like mad and there was really no need to lower the price.

I can only draw two possible conclusions from this:

1. CGN software sales haven't generated the revenue Nintendo had hoped (the numbers aren't very impressive). By lowering the cost of GBA they can obtain more users quickly and therefore sell a lot more software.

2. A new GBA is imminent. I can probably prove this by tracking flow of the current GBA product. If it appears to be drying up that's a clue Nintendo is clearing house for a new arrival.

Whatever the reason, it's interesting to watch.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd guesstimate at 1 over 2 of Camp's observations. It's also the reason behind the forthcoming GBA software pricedrop - a good number of third party publishers just aren't interested in GBA publishing as the margins are way way too small to make it worthwhile.

Yes, a number of GBA titles are selling well. Go look at the charts - strangely, they're mostly all from Nintendo...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
In the meantime I suggest this, buy the GBA at the new price and they get a front lighting kit from the Portable Monopoly site, the total for all that should be about $110. If Nintendo were to introduce a GBALight, I'm sure it would be introduced at 100 dollars, with the vanilla GBA at 80 or so. So you wouldn't really be burned in the long run anyway, plus you'd have a nice visible GBA screen much sooner.
Actually if Nintendo comes out with one with a light you wouldn't be burned because if it breaks you wouldn't be stuck with a machine with no warrenty. If you screw up the mod on the GBA putting the light in from the Portable Monopoly site you are out of a game boy and you wasted $110. I don't want to open up and poke around the insides of my game systems. I can wait. Yeah sure I may wait forever, but oh well. Its one of those things that would be nice to have, but I'm not dieing to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks