What's new

GBA Price Reduction Confirmed (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
Link Removed
I was thinking of picking up a GBA just for the upcoming NHL2002 if the gameplay is as good as the classic Genesis versions of old. I have read the problems with the lighting of the unit itself. Anyone who owns this system have any comments. Should I buy when the price drops or possibly wait for a version with a built in light source (though it would most likely drain batteries). Is it a solid system. Like I said I'm not interested in much of the pre-existing software, but portable NHL fun could get me to pick it up.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My girlfriend and I are very happy with our Gameboy Advances. I got them last summer, when I was traveling a lot. Now I mostly use it on my daily trainride, and have no problems with the lighting. My batteries seem to last a good long time. I also like the fact that its backwards compatable with older gameboy games. Although they do look kinda funny sticking out the top.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So when do you think we'll see the "GBA Deluxe" lighted version? :)
-Dave (who will be modding his with a Link Removed kit)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think the non-backlighted screen is horrible. Game lights aren't a viable option in my opinion as none I've tried light the screen evenly. They cause way too much reflection off the screen resulting in the user having to make adjustments while playing.

$79 is a great price and there are certainly some good games but I wish I hadn't purchased until a back lighted version comes out.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I don't play mine nearly as much as I thought I would. It's hard to play with the screen and a lack of a backlight.

-Andre

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
There actually was a Gameboy that did have a backlight, but was only available in Japan when I got one a few years back. It works really well but really wouldn't do the trick for the Advance. The LCD technology in this one uses different shades of grey blocking the light properly. The LCD in the advance actually uses the reflection to produce the color that you see, so placing a backlight behind it will not give you the results your looking for. I doubt that there will ever be a Gameboy Advance light using the current technology.
silvpgl1.jpg

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In a few years, if I have spare cash and its really cheap, I might purchase a second, back-lit, GBA. Until then, I'm happy using crappy lights or sitting in lit up rooms.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Oh maybe I'll buy one...on second thought, no way...no backlight, no sale for me. I've played it in an office setting with overhead lights and the screen is so dark, forget it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Backlighting is not possible, but Portable Monpoly has devised a viable frontlighting solution.

-Dave

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think for backlighting to really work on the GBA they'll need to include non-removeable rechargeable batteries and a charging station. The GBA uses a derivitive of the Palm screen, why not copy the Palm m505's backlighting?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they just made a video/audio output device (like a GameShark with audio/video outputs so that the signal would be sent to the TV as it comes from the cart) would be good, but I wouldn't mind a larger GBA so long as it had backlight.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
From the PortableMonopoly faq:
Backlighting the GBA will not work. Because the Sharp LCD it employs is reflective only, any light that passes through the LCD will not illuminate any pixels but simply wash them out. It is unfortunately as simple as that. A transmissive or transflective LCD will facilitate backlighting...If you wanted to try and replace the LCD in the unit with a transflective or transmissive screen, you might have a chance. But I have as of yet been unable to find a replacement of equal size and resolution, and personally have no idea how to modify the GBA's LCD data ribbon to work for a different LCD.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Backlighting...frontlighting...thanks for the correction. I guess that's correct as the Palm m505's screen is also frontlighted.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Backlighting...frontlighting...thanks for the correction. I guess that's correct as the Palm m505's screen is also frontlighted.
Back or front...it doesn't matter...just a technicality. The point is the GBA is dark...a Nintendo portable needs a light that is not some ugly snap on thing and that gives even light over the entire screen.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
what about the games? i heard a while back that they were lowering the price of the games as well.. has anyone heard this? 40 bucks for a portable game is a bit steep when i can get pc and some gc games for that much.. (or less)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The price range for GBA is usually between $25 and $35. I have seen some of the big name games (like Mario Kart) for $35 and some smaller games for less.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The price range for GBA is usually between $25 and $35.
Nope. Third party games are $35-$40, with Nintendo's own titles coming in at $35. Retailers sometimes discount them to $25-30 vs third parties at $30-35 though.

Quick jump to EBWorld: Sonic Advance ($39.99), NBA Jam ($39.99), MarioAdvance 2 ($34.99).

There /are/ exceptions to these prices - depends on the deal from Nintendo, the target market, the perceived value of the title. But that's the general range:

first party - $30-35

third party - $35-40

GBA cart prices are extortionate for the quality of a lot of the games... They're due to drop by about $8-10 I believe.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the price drop represents the official death of the Gameboy Color? I would assume it does since the GBA is assuming the price of the GBC.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Haven't heard anything official, Camp. I know Target, Walmart etc were desperately trying to clear out GBC hardware before Christmas.

And I know that there are /still/ GBC only games coming out...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't use EBworld as a resource for prices since they're PS2 games are usually $55 (they charge $5 more). A friend of mine thought $55 was the MSRP for PS2 games, but I told him it was really $50 and then he got pissed at EB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks