GBA Price Reduction Confirmed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatS, Jan 28, 2002.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

http://pocket.ign.com/news/41261.html
    I was thinking of picking up a GBA just for the upcoming NHL2002 if the gameplay is as good as the classic Genesis versions of old. I have read the problems with the lighting of the unit itself. Anyone who owns this system have any comments. Should I buy when the price drops or possibly wait for a version with a built in light source (though it would most likely drain batteries). Is it a solid system. Like I said I'm not interested in much of the pre-existing software, but portable NHL fun could get me to pick it up.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My girlfriend and I are very happy with our Gameboy Advances. I got them last summer, when I was traveling a lot. Now I mostly use it on my daily trainride, and have no problems with the lighting. My batteries seem to last a good long time. I also like the fact that its backwards compatable with older gameboy games. Although they do look kinda funny sticking out the top.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

So when do you think we'll see the "GBA Deluxe" lighted version? [​IMG]
    -Dave (who will be modding his with a Portable Monopoly kit)

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I think the non-backlighted screen is horrible. Game lights aren't a viable option in my opinion as none I've tried light the screen evenly. They cause way too much reflection off the screen resulting in the user having to make adjustments while playing.

$79 is a great price and there are certainly some good games but I wish I hadn't purchased until a back lighted version comes out.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I don't play mine nearly as much as I thought I would. It's hard to play with the screen and a lack of a backlight.

-Andre

6. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

There actually was a Gameboy that did have a backlight, but was only available in Japan when I got one a few years back. It works really well but really wouldn't do the trick for the Advance. The LCD technology in this one uses different shades of grey blocking the light properly. The LCD in the advance actually uses the reflection to produce the color that you see, so placing a backlight behind it will not give you the results your looking for. I doubt that there will ever be a Gameboy Advance light using the current technology.
    [​IMG]
    Dean

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In a few years, if I have spare cash and its really cheap, I might purchase a second, back-lit, GBA. Until then, I'm happy using crappy lights or sitting in lit up rooms.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Oh maybe I'll buy one...on second thought, no way...no backlight, no sale for me. I've played it in an office setting with overhead lights and the screen is so dark, forget it.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Backlighting is not possible, but Portable Monpoly has devised a viable frontlighting solution.

-Dave

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I think for backlighting to really work on the GBA they'll need to include non-removeable rechargeable batteries and a charging station. The GBA uses a derivitive of the Palm screen, why not copy the Palm m505's backlighting?

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If they just made a video/audio output device (like a GameShark with audio/video outputs so that the signal would be sent to the TV as it comes from the cart) would be good, but I wouldn't mind a larger GBA so long as it had backlight.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

From the PortableMonopoly faq:

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Backlighting...frontlighting...thanks for the correction. I guess that's correct as the Palm m505's screen is also frontlighted.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

what about the games? i heard a while back that they were lowering the price of the games as well.. has anyone heard this? 40 bucks for a portable game is a bit steep when i can get pc and some gc games for that much.. (or less)

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The price range for GBA is usually between $25 and $35. I have seen some of the big name games (like Mario Kart) for $35 and some smaller games for less.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Does anyone know if the price drop represents the official death of the Gameboy Color? I would assume it does since the GBA is assuming the price of the GBC.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Haven't heard anything official, Camp. I know Target, Walmart etc were desperately trying to clear out GBC hardware before Christmas.

And I know that there are /still/ GBC only games coming out...

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I wouldn't use EBworld as a resource for prices since they're PS2 games are usually $55 (they charge $5 more). A friend of mine thought $55 was the MSRP for PS2 games, but I told him it was really $50 and then he got pissed at EB.