GBA Ports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've said a few times that I'm a little sick of the huge number of GBA ports that are coming out, but as long as old NES and SNES games are being revisited, I have a few I'd like to see:

Dragon Warrior 4,5,6: I know that Enix cancelled the DW4 PSX port recently, but I'd love to see a GBA version that gives you manual control over your party in chapter 5. Also, 5 and 6 weren't released over here, so it'd be a chance to play em.

Secret of Mana & Seiken Densentu (sp?)3: Secret of Mana was good, but it's sequel (SD3) was never released here.

And of course, the Final Fantasy 1-3 ports with the updated graphics that they did for the wonderswan.

Of course, more original games wouldn't hurt either, but if you MUST port, then how about something we haven't seen before.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm just waiting for the new Metroid title coming out...hell at this point I'd love a port the old SNES Metroid! I'd buy that in a second!
    -Andre F

3. Chris Bardon

See, that's my point. If I want to play Super Metriod, I'll do it on my SNES. Same goes for Mario World, Zelda Link to the Past etc. The Dragon warrior ports however, have been almost new games, with new features and translations that drastically improve the gameplay (not to mention the fact that I'm missing the NES carts for 1 and 3).

But yes, the new Metroid game looks fantastic, as does the new Castlevania game.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Gaming keeps getting larger and larger. In the past few years, people who weren't into gaming got into it. So people who never owned a SNES haven't played Super Metroid or Mario World or any of those games, but now they own GBAs. By rereleasing those old SNES games, Nintendo makes money and a new generation can play them. Its a lot like how Disney rereleases some movies every 10 years or so.

Miyamoto also wanted to rerelease all of the Mario games, 1-3, World, Yoshi's Island, on a handheld, so it looks like he's doing it (except for 3...).

5. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

All of the games Chris mentioned in his original post are readily available as unofficial English-translated downloadable ROMs. I'm obviously not going to link to them (since they're illegal) but they are out there.
    If I want to play Dragon Quest 5 and 6, I'll do it on my PC [​IMG]

6. Chris Bardon

I didn't know that DQ 5 and 6 were available. I knew about SD3 and the early ffs though...

Excuse me while I run a couple of searches...

7. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

But one thing you're missing is that you can take your GBA and play at other places besides home. You can now play the ported games on planes, trains, and automobiles. Try doing that with your SNES!

Thats the main reason I dig the ports. Frankly they could release all ports on the GBA and I'd still be happy. I have a PS2/XBOX for new games.

Just my opinion,
    -Marshall

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If this needs to be deleted, please do so.

You can now download a NES ROM, convert it to a GBA format, then put it on a flash cart that is shaped for the GBA and go play it at a friend's house. You can even put multiple ROMs on one cart and have an interface to choose which game to play. If the GBA had two extra buttons, then SNES games would probably end up on it.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer