1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay/Lesbian TV - Does it have a market?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Eric_Connelly, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

There is a new Television station which has recently launched called Q-TV providing Gay and Lesbian viewers their own channel in Boston, New York, San Francisco and soon to be Chicago.

www.qtelevision.com

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of this. I personally believe that this will be a huge market.

Its going to be a pay channel, 7.95 per month. Currently RCN is their only provider but they are looking for others.

I'm just wondering how it would be received in area's. I'm a stock holder and its had a bit of a rough time getting off of the ground but now that they are on the air I'm hoping this takes off.

I would not expect for there to be actual protests against carrying of the channel except for in the South, plus as long as its a pay channel then it shouldn't really matter.

The company itself looks to be a somewhat shaky, but the idea seems good enough to carry itself through even poor management.

Just wondering, I'm a stock holder, not a subscriber [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Didn't Jack McFarland from "Will and Grace" get a fictional gig on such a network concept a few episodes ago?

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm sure that at one time City-TV in Toronto had a gay/lesbian TV show, butt don't ask me if it's still around.

Brent

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Isn't the LOGO Network supposed to start up on cable next February? If it got priced the same at TVLAND and Nick, just about everybody would have it. Would some parents actually block it so their little ones couldn't see it?

Are they going to just show shows, or have educatioal hours?

I can see Will & Grace reruns for 24/7, but they could put Ellen and Brothers in too. You don't have to be gay to watch it, so some straights would. No BSA commercials, though. Bummer. [​IMG]

Glenn

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think there's a market but it may take a bit of time to get started. I live in the San Francisco area and havent heard anything about it launching. You would think they would advertise.

6. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

They are currently only on RCN cable network. Hopefully deals with other carriers are in the works and they pick up on the advertising.

Logo is going to be MTV'ish, as being owned by MTV's parent company. I think QTV is more "homegrown" and an older more mature target audience.

The website goes through their programming, its a pretty wide variety and from those who have seen it the production quality is quite good. This will not be 24/7 reruns of GLBTish TV shows already that have been on the air. Frank Olsen, the guy who started Showtime(or is it The Movie Channel) is heading up the venture.

Actually we probably will subscribe when, and if, it comes to the area simply for no other reason than we hold shares, I'm sure some of the programming will be cross-group.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well there is Bravo already all over the place.