What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For those who have an interest, TOM OF FINLAND is currently streaming on Hulu

(I won't repost the art from it because I don't want Mark P to have another "episode")

74338789-9B01-4677-B6AD-F27196153B50.jpeg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I watched Call me by your Name yesterday.

it felt sort of uneven to me.
i was bored in the biggest part of the movie, and some very few scenes were really good.
I don't understand why such a fuss about it and why the oscar nominations for best picture and especially male lead (maybe it's because I watch almost exclusively old films where the performances are more theatrical and over the top and I have got used to this kind).
Dad's speech was a highlight as everyone was saying.
I loved the 2 songs!(Mystery of Love and Visions of Gideon)

As time went by (since yesterday) I started thinking of it and it started growing on me and remembering the small gestures and the atmosphere and all that.
I listen to the 2 songs in repeat endlessly. I don't know what's over me.

By the way, I read this review, with which I agree and maybe that's why I couldn't connect very much with the film:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-sanitized-intimacy-of-call-me-by-your-name

On another note:
Does anyone know or can recommend of any film with unfufilled gay love (of a gay man to a straight one)?
Besides Death in Venice.
I'm searching and can't find anything..

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
On another note:
Does anyone know or can recommend of any film with unfufilled gay love (of a gay man to a straight one)?
Besides Death in Venice.
A Man of No Importance.

Maurice
has that set-up, too, though the title character transfers his love to a more accommodating character later in the film.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
A Man of No Importance.

Maurice
has that set-up, too, though the title character transfers his love to a more accommodating character later in the film.

Thanks.
Of course I've seen Maurice, it was my first gay film, and I love it since then.
One other that I jut remembered:
Love and Death on Long Island (with John Hurt and the handsome Jason Priestley)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Konstantinos, I was astounded by the acting of Chalamet in CMBYN. I place him at the top of the list of nominees for the AA. Chalamet captures the curiosity, the longing, the first blush, the awkwardness, the passion, the embarrassment, the exhilaration, the furtiveness, the joy, the tenderness, the loss, the pain of first love; and the capacity to absorb strength from this love and this pain, and be able to respond to his own name. It is a very complex performance and far more difficult than the one with the actor in a fat suit wearing a lot of makeup.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

i was bored in the biggest part of the movie, and some very few scenes were really good.
I don't understand why such a fuss about it and why the oscar nominations for best picture and especially male lead (maybe it's because I watch almost exclusively old films where the performances are more theatrical and over the top and I have got used to this kind).
Dad's speech was a highlight as everyone was saying.
I loved the 2 songs!(Mystery of Love and Visions of Gideon)

As time went by (since yesterday) I started thinking of it and it started growing on me and remembering the small gestures and the atmosphere and all that.
I listen to the 2 songs in repeat endlessly. I don't know what's over me.

By the way, I read this review, with which I agree and maybe that's why I couldn't connect very much with the film:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-sanitized-intimacy-of-call-me-by-your-name

On another note:
Besides Death in Venice.

Konstantinos, I was astounded by the acting of Chalamet in CMBYN. I place him at the top of the list of nominees for the AA. Chalamet captures the curiosity, the longing, the first blush, the awkwardness, the passion, the embarrassment, the exhilaration, the furtiveness, the joy, the tenderness, the loss, the pain of first love; and the capacity to absorb strength from this love and this pain, and be able to respond to his own name. It is a very complex performance and far more difficult than the one with the actor in a fat suit wearing a lot of makeup.

I am so grateful to the owners and admins of this forum that we have a place to have discussions and dialogues about films.

I am also grateful for the following at HTF and this thread in particular:
  1. we disagree often to the point of never agreeing
  2. that we can do so and still be respectful and cordial to each other and continue to be interested in reading each other's thoughts, ideas, and responses to films.
I was an art student in school, and I have a lot of issues with much of postmodern art. Sometimes we'd be tasked with creating work inspired by this or that work by a particular artist, and I would be thinking, "I find this artist boring and pretentious...Who cares? It is not interesting." And yet others would find that work interesting, compelling...life altering. (Even after having others explain to me the importance of artists like Nam June Paik, I was still bored to tears with his work.)

The larger impact of four plus years of studio art and art history is that I really respect that others can have an entirely different experience when exposed to the same stimuli and either find value in that work or art or not, and again, thank goodness or life would be really dull and conversations not be worth having if the only goal is to make everyone agree.

Konstantinos,
I read the article you linked to, and while I honor your sentiment and your response, it became clear to me the reviewer wanted CMBYN to be a different kind of movie than it was. A great example is that the author ponders what the response is from "the working class," Mafalda and Anchise, about the romance between Oliver and Elio. He also wants to know about many other conversations between Elio and Oliver that were not part of the book or the film. The reviewer wants this film to be more pedestrian, in my opinion, and spend time on issues that this filmmaker and the original novelist were not interested in.

I will also say, if I am remembering many of your posts here, I would not discount your thoughts and feelings regarding CMBYN based on your preference for classic movies any more than my boredom with the works of Nam June Paik would be caused by a lack of interest in video, music, or sculpture.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks.
Of course I've seen Maurice, it was my first gay film, and I love it since then.
One other that I jut remembered:
Love and Death on Long Island (with John Hurt and the handsome Jason Priestley)
And another: Big Eden (though like Maurice the main character eventually finds someone who reciprocates his feelings.).

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
James Ivory just won the Bafta for best adapted screenplay for CMBYN. Unfortunately Josh O’Connor lost the Rising Star Award to Daniel Kaluula and GOC lost best British film to 3 Billboards.
At least films we have been discussing so freely have had some recognition through nomination...

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now that I finally got my Blu-ray, may I reiterate how disgusted I am by the calculated, concentrated effort to shut the far superior GOC out of awards it rightly deserves. Josh and Alec should be up for the male acting Oscar nominations.

It is time to reform the nominating process and the reviewing process as well.

You are not alone. God's Own Country has two adult male lovers, actual gay sex, and real emotional resonance. It is infinitely superior to this, and to the fetid, anachronistic self-loathing of Brokeback Mountain, which I couldn't care less if I ever see again. God's Own Country is THE gay movie of the 21st century, and not only the best movie of the year, but of the century, bar absolutely none. It's a love letter to homosexuality, to the English countryside, and to old-fashioned manhood. Homophobia is the only reason anyone can dislike it on any grounds whatsoever or vote against it for any awards.

And it's time to admit that homophobia had a huge part in shaping the so-called "critical consensus" over the years.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Homophobia is the only reason anyone can dislike it on any grounds whatsoever or vote against it for any awards.

That's ridiculous.

And it will NOT be allowed on the HTF to intimate that anyone who expresses an opposing opinion is homophobic. That's utter nonsense.

Like a film all you want. But to demean others who don't like that same film is against our rules. Challenge those rules at your own risk.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This interview with Francis Lee discusses the actual sex and why it's important to this film and to gay films in general, and it also explains yet another reason why I strongly prefer GOC. It's also frank about life on a farm. Those parts reminded me less of that Heath and Jake Tire Iron Melodrama than they did of Old Yeller, honestly. And I mean that as a compliment. Josh and Alec are more believable as lovers and as farmhands.

Oh, and speaking of Harvey Scissorhands, remember Priest? I still remember the controversy over that like it was yesterday.* When is that getting a Blu-ray?**

*I also remember renting it the same night I rented Booty Call.
**Yes, they cut it in this country compared to the UK.

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks