Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (4 Viewers)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Will Krupp said:
Wow, I had completely forgotten about JEFFREY!! It holds a special place in my heart, too, so shame on me. As a young gayling, I went to visit my much older cousin in Washington DC (also gay) and went with his then boyfriend (now husband) to see JEFFREY at the Uptown Theater. It was my first experience seeing a gay movie in a large city with a predominantly gay audience (holy shit can it REALLY have been twenty years ago????) and it was a liberating, inclusive, head spinning experience (that for me, apparently, eclipsed the actual film we were seeing!)
This brings back memories of my work trip to DC in 1988. Never made it to the Uptown, but did frequent Dupont Circle. There was a book and video store there called Lambda Rising where I picked up such gems as The Orton Diaries book (basis for Prick Up Your Ears, another gay gem albeit depressing) and the first VHS of Maurice.That was a pretty amaZing area.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Quick follow up to Prick Up Your Ears...there is an actual biography with that title. The book The Orton Diaries is background. The diary is kinda hot...it goes on my gay adult shelf. The bio and movie is bleak.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
mrz7 said:
"Jeffrey" is my all-time favorite gay movie!!! There are so many funny innuendo's in this movie. Love the part where Jeffrey (Steven Weber) is working out at the gym and he first sees Steve (Michael T. Weiss).....Jeffrey waives his hand.....the background music stops....the people in the background freeze and Jeffrey clenches his fist to mouth with a huge "hubba, hubba" sigh as he gagas over Steve.....it's just too funny.Then when they first kiss (in the gym).....flash scene to 2 teenage straight couples in the movie theater....the girls say "awwweee" and the boys spit up their popcorn. Paul Rudnick is a comedic genius in his writing!!!Lots of great stars in the movie as well....Sigourney Weaver, Olympia Dukakis, Patrick Stewart and Nathan Lane (who plays a priest in the most hilarious and controversial part of the movie.....Classic!!!) Every time I watch this movie (and I probably have watch it at least once or twice a year).....I pick some kind of joke or innuendo I missed before....the lines and comedic timing are just that quick and funny!!!!And, of course, cowboys being my weakness....LOL.....the cowboys dancing sequence is not only hilarious.....but hot as hell (Did you see Michael T. Weiss in a cowboy hat?.....talk about hubba....hubba!!!).....See now your getting the best of me.....I have to watch this movie again tonight....LOL.All and all..."Jeffrey" is just a great movie. It wasn't as mainstream as "In and Out" or "The Birdcage".....but every gay boy/man who saw this back in the '90s remembers this movie. (I saw it the first time with my ex-boyfriend in an independent small theater in Chicago....the audience in the theater had non-stop laughs the whole time!!!) Like Will Krupp said earlier....."this movie holds a special place in my heart".....I ditto the sentiment!!! And definitely this movie needs to be released on BLU-RAY!!!! (along with Paul Rudnick's other film "In and Out" and of course my other '90's gay movie favorite...."It's My Party"!!!)
I would love to see the classic British gay film OSCAR WILDE with Robert Morley. It has never been released on disc.It was made the same time as a similar film with Peter Finch.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not that I want to "divert from Blu"(as this film, I think is only DVD...it was a trailer on another film...looks like a riot)...Opinions of PolterGay...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
schan1269 said:
Not that I want to "divert from Blu"(as this film, I think is only DVD...it was a trailer on another film...looks like a riot)...Opinions of PolterGay...
Don't apologize schan, I think we've all expanded far beyond the initial parameters of this thread long ago! ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
cinerama10 said:
I would love to see the classic British gay film OSCAR WILDE with Robert Morley. It has never been released on disc.It was made the same time as a similar film with Peter Finch.
Are either of those better or worse than 1998's Wilde with Stephen Fry?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I'd love it if the Morley version were made available. He was such a wonderful actor and suited the part to a "T." He had played Wilde on the stage prior to making this film --I think that the film was an adaptation of the play Morley starred in. the Finch version is good but I have trouble seeing him as Oscar Wilde. Morley was just better suited to the role.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've never seen the Morley version but I would love to (is it available anywhere?)

On a related (but still off-topic) note, if anybody is in the market for a good, fun and gossipy read, gay actor John Fraser (Bosie in the Finch version and a great screen beauty to boot) wrote a wonderful autobiography a few years ago called CLOSE UP and it's a lot of fun. A very frank and candid look at his life as a gay actor and he's not afraid to name names and tell it like it was. Some of his stories are a scream!

http://www.amazon.com/Close-Up-Actor-Telling-Tales/dp/1840025042/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409942415&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=close+ups+john+fraser

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Will Krupp said:
I've never seen the Morley version but I would love to (is it available anywhere?)

On a related (but still off-topic) note, if anybody is in the market for a good, fun and gossipy read, gay actor John Fraser (Bosie in the Finch version and a great screen beauty to boot) wrote a wonderful autobiography a few years ago called CLOSE UP and it's a lot of fun. A very frank and candid look at his life as a gay actor and he's not afraid to name names and tell it like it was. Some of his stories are a scream!

http://www.amazon.com/Close-Up-Actor-Telling-Tales/dp/1840025042/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409942415&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=close+ups+john+fraser
Thanks so much for the tip and link. This is the kind of book I always enjoy for a lark.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Matt Hough said:
Thanks so much for the tip and link. This is the kind of book I always enjoy for a lark.
No,
the Robert Morley version is not available anywhere. I saw both Robert Morley and John Fraser on stage many decades ago.John Fraser's tour in SLEUTH was cut short after his co-star passed away in Melbourne..I understand that he has also passed away..

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Slight left-field turn. Into the Woods, which beat Phantom of the Opera for best book and score Tonys, has just been announced for blu-ray with the original Broadway cast. Composer Stephen Sondheim is gay and a personal hero of mine. There are two productions of Sondheim's Company available on blu. Maybe we can get Passion.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This whole thread is a left-field turn. DVDs, Blu-rays, Books of spicy tell-all (or most) biographies. ..

And I wouldn't want it any other way. :)

Just getting into Sondheim.

I did not know that James Lapine was the director and collaborator for much of Sondheim's oeuvre.
He directed one of m favorite movies of all time: Impromptu. Now I understand why Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters co star in that film. Both are Sondheim performers.
Steve Tannehill said:
Slight left-field turn. Into the Woods, which beat Phantom of the Opera for best book and score Tonys, has just been announced for blu-ray with the original Broadway cast. Composer Stephen Sondheim is gay and a personal hero of mine. There are two productions of Sondheim's Company available on blu. Maybe we can get Passion.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One of the productions of Company is a concert starring Neil Patrick Harris and won a Tony for the role of Hedwig and the Angry Inch (another gay friendly show)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Steve Tannehill said:
One of the productions of Company is a concert starring Neil Patrick Harris and won a Tony for the role of Hedwig and the Angry Inch (another gay friendly show)
The other stars Raul Esparza who is openly bisexual and who sings the score so brilliantly. It was quite a big surprise when his Bobby didn't bring him his first Tony Award several years ago.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am watching some youtube videos of Sondheim and Lapine talking about how they shape their work.

I think next up for me are Passion and Sunday in the Park with George. The Art Historian in me really wants to see that one. Also, I do find Bernadette Peters performing on stage very captivating.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
We are so fortunate that many of Sondheim's best stage works have been captured on tape and can be seen. It's a pity we only have segments of the original Follies instead of the entire masterwork that it is, and A Little Night Music is only available in the Lincoln Center presentation if one was lucky enough to record it when PBS televised it. (The Hal Prince movie isn't worth referencing though it has a few lyrical moments).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks