What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Glad to hear. I won't read your spoiler, as I want to be surprised when I see it on PBS.
From the very proper English to the naughty Southern Europeans, just a friendly reminder that with Black Friday deals looming,
I was able to finally pick up all three series of Spartacus because Fry's had them at $14.99 and $19.99 so I ended up with all three seasons on Blu-ray for just under $50.
I see now Amazon is running similar sales, and I suspect there are deals to be found on this series at this point.
(Series four is coming soon.)
While the series is starting to feel a bit too repetitive in its use of slow mo during impact hits and blood splatters,
there are also fleeting moments of same sex romance (treated openly, which is really nice) both in series one and series three and
of course there is lots of male eye candy on hand, albeit usually covered in mud and blood.
I am only through disc one of series three, but I see several episodes feature commentary tracks with cast and crew.
Also, for those that do not yet know, the New Zealand actor Craig Parker, who played one of the more significant elves in LOTR,
is one of the leads on season 3 of Spartacus and he also happens to be openly gay.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm in the process of getting Season 3 right now. Maybe I'll do a big marathon over the 4 day Christmas break I have and knock through all of it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
OK, you've got me interested in Spartacus.
Am I correct in saying that the series order is Blood and Sand, followed by Gods of the Arena, followed by Vengeance?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That is the order as I understand it, Steve. There is another season debuting in January, but I'll be waiting for the discs.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This is on Starz, yes? I think I get that (FiOS gave me all the movie channels for $20 a month, a deal I could not pass up.)
Too many shows, not enough time!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yep, Starz. I don't have any premium channels, so I'm always in a state of catching up. No HBO, no Showtime, no Starz.

You should see the Tivo right now. Between my stuff and all the holiday specials for the BF, it's getting very very full. Not nearly enough time!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Correct, although, technically, Gods of the Arena is a prequel to the first series. I think it plays better watching it between Blood and Sand and Vengeance.
Steve Tannehill said:
OK, you've got me interested in Spartacus.
Am I correct in saying that the series order is Blood and Sand, followed by Gods of the Arena, followed by Vengeance?

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Walker said:
Correct, although, technically, Gods of the Arena is a prequel to the first series. I think it plays better watching it between Blood and Sand and Vengeance.
Gods Of The Arena is actually presented as a flashback. It begins with the final moments of Season 1 and ends with those moments. Watching before Season 1 will spoil some things, especially who is having the flashback.
So, yes. It goes between seasons 1 and 2.
Off topic, but the Babylon 5 movie, In The Beginning, uses the same structure: Past events being told as a flashback. Like Gods, the B5 movie is best watched in the context of the "present day" scenes.

Giovanni DN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Giovanni Di Natale
I'd love to see 'Before Night Falls' on Blu-ray.Such a powerful movie,featuring an Oscar nominated performance by Javier Bardem.I've developed a HUGE crush on him,and i've loved him ever since i saw this movie.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Have you seen Skyfall? That flirtatious scene between Bardem and Craig was something else... The blu-ray is out next year, and I'll definitely be picking it up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ya know, when Javier does his thing, it's a three second shot someone deliberately put in there, IMO. There's really no good reason for it. I'm more of a fan of the recent (fake) poster with the two.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
9a811e03_6a00d8341c730253ef017c33d757b3970b-800wi.jpeg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bardem is just amazing, particularly in Before Night Falls. I also remember reading interviews with Bardem during the time period BNF was released. He felt like he had finally done a good job of playing a gay man because he owned the sexuality of it in a way he had not in a previous role where he felt he not as completely opened himself up to the deeper homosexual nature of the part.
Wow. Really?
As for Daniel Craig, if you have not seen the film Love is the Devil, where he plays the rough trade partner of painter Francis Bacon. All I have to say is it has a few titillating Craig moments even if the film's transfer on DVD is problematic. The film, while very interesting as a "study for a portrait" of Francis Bacon, is flawed as well.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Jason_V said:
Ya know, when Javier does his thing, it's a three second shot someone deliberately put in there, IMO.
Those silly film editors tend to do that, inserting shots into movies, deliberately. I'll never understand it.
Jason_V said:
There's really no good reason for it.
Is there a "good reason" for any shot in a James Bond movie?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It just didn't add anything for me. If it meant something down the road, I would have been okay with it. But again, that's just me.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm feeling even more lucky that I never liked the idea of a "reboot", Craig as Bond (having seen him in Road to Perdition, where he was a cipher onscreen), or Bond's conversion into a neo-Bourne thug -- and haven't seen any of the Bonds since Die Another Day.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Rick Thompson said:
I'm feeling even more lucky that I never liked the idea of a "reboot", Craig as Bond (having seen him in Road to Perdition, where he was a cipher onscreen), or Bond's conversion into a neo-Bourne thug -- and haven't seen any of the Bonds since Die Another Day.
You're missing some great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks