What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sure, it does. Thanks Will, I have HBOMax, but for 13 bucks I was willing to support another of WAC's fine physical releases.
I don't know what the DVD looks like, but its in HD on HBOMax and looks delicious!

(AND you get to see Jeanne "Katherine Chancellor" Cooper's tits!) :lol:

EDIT: I thought you wrote DVD in your above post, I didn't realize this WAS on blu-ray!! Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I don't know what the DVD looks like, but its in HD on HBOMax and looks delicious!

(AND you get to see Jeanne "Katherine Chancellor" Cooper's tits!) :lol:

EDIT: I thought you wrote DVD in your above post, I didn't realize this WAS on blu-ray!! Thanks for the tip!
That's not all that was seen in the uncut version. Her character is last seen completely nude, fleeing the prison into the Arizona desert. Most of Lee Grant's performance was cut as well, so even though she gets prominent billing, she's only on screen for about two minutes.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That's not all that was seen in the uncut version. Her character is last seen completely nude, fleeing the prison into the Arizona desert.

That was Barbara Rhoades, not Jeanne Cooper :lol:. Cooper plays the prostitute (!) who tries to lure Fonda back into bed at the beginning of the movie. She went on to greater prominence on The Young & the Restless for something like 150 years. There are stills that prove the Rhoades scene was shot but it doesn't appear in any released version anyone has ever been able to find.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That was Barbara Rhoades, not Jeanne Cooper :lol:. Cooper plays the prostitute (!) who tries to lure Fonda back into bed at the beginning of the movie. She went on to greater prominence on The Young & the Restless for something like 150 years. There are stills that prove the Rhoades scene was shot but it doesn't appear in any released version anyone has ever been able to find.
And she's the mother of Corbin Bernsen, of course.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Watched 2014 movie Saint Laurent again last featuring an amazing performance from the much missed Gaspard Ulliel. Unlike the other biopic about the fashion designer with Pierre Niney this film is more focused on his sex and love life. Lots of nudity, lots of beautiful men. Incredibly gay.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Watched 2014 movie Saint Laurent again last featuring an amazing performance from the much missed Gaspard Ulliel. Unlike the other biopic about the fashion designer with Pierre Niney this film is more focused on his sex and love life. Lots of nudity, lots of beautiful men. Incredibly gay.
I found this on clearance at a Fry’s before they all closed. It sounded interesting but we haven’t watched it yet. Guess we need to put it in the queue for watching soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gaspard does a full frontal in more than one scene. No holding back these French actors.
The Brits aren't prudes about male frontal nudity either. I remember being shocked that a delightful period film like A Room With a View featured frontal nudity from its featured actors.

While not a gay program, if you have not seen the series Normal People with Paul Mescal, it is an incredible story about a book smart girl with not-great communication skills that comes from wealthy, but abusive home, and the talented popular Rugby lad from a lower-middle class family that has issues of his own. The story is incredibly intimate and emotionally vulnerable. By the time we've fallen in love with Mescal for his smarts and sensitivity, you get to admire his ruggedly fit body laid bare. I bring it up because Paul, who is as a talented an actor as a he a manly hunk, is set to star in not one, but two same sex love stories.

Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott to play lovers in new LGBTQ+ drama​

Paul-Mescal-and-Andrew-Scott.jpg

Normal People star Paul Mescal and Fleabag’s Andrew Scott are set to star in the new LGBTQ+ film Strangers.​
Loosely based on the 1987 novel of the same name, the forthcoming feature follows London-based screenwriter Andrew, who begins a passionate romantic relationship with his mysterious neighbor Harry.​
As the two develop a deeper connection, Andrew finds himself drawn to his childhood home – where he discovers his deceased parents alive and the same age “as the day they died over 30 years ago.”​
According to a report from Variety, Scott and Mescal will be playing Andrew and Harry, respectively.​
The Crown’s Claire Foy and Rocketman star Jamie Bell have signed on to portray Andrew’s surprisingly youthful parents.​
Openly gay filmmaker Andrew Haigh is set to write and direct the film, with Searchlight Pictures, Film4, and Blueprint Pictures attached as producers.​
Shortly after the news was announced, fans flocked to Twitter to express their excitement over the upcoming film. One user wrote: “Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal playing as lovers????? OH I’M GONNA GO FERAL.”​
Another fan tweeted: “Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal in an Andrew Haigh film!!! I need 2-3 business days to process how iconically gay that is.”​
Fortunately for fans, Strangers isn’t the only LGBTQ+ film in which Mescal will be starring in.​
Back in 2021, it was reported that the Aftersun actor would be teaming up with God’s Own Country star Josh O’Conner for the romance film History of Sound.​
The movie is set to follow two young men, Lionel and David, as they set out on a mission to record the lives of their countrymen during World War 1.​
Mescal has signed on to play Lionel, with O’Connor stepping into the role of David.​
In an interview with Variety at the time, director Oliver Hermanus opened up about the powerful love story and working with Mescal and O’Connor.​
“I instantly fell in love with Ben Shattuck’s flawlessly beautiful short story and knew I had to be involved in its journey to the screen. Paul and Josh are two of the most promising actors of their generation who will share with us deeply soulful performances,” he said.​
“This is an unexpected love story that needs to be told — it is a journey through the life of America, across the 20th century and the traditions of American folk music, all seen through the bond between two men immersed in the history of sound.”​
While the History of Sound was tentatively set to start production this past summer, Mescal revealed in a May interview with The Hollywood Reporter that the film was on pause due to conflicting schedules.​
“But the learning for me is that I’m just dying to make films with people I like, and Josh is one of those people that I would work with in a heartbeat,” he added.​
We can’t wait to see Scott and Mescal deliver a sure-to-be emotional performance in Strangers.​
Source:​

I know I am thankful I get to see Mescal in two upcoming gay-themed films.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I've got a good one for you all: Wildhood, currently streaming on Hulu.

Link is a biracial young man who runs away from his abusive father when he discovers that his Mi'kmaq mother is not dead as he has been told. Accompanied by his younger half-brother Travis, he sets off on a journey to find her. Along the way, he meets the Two-Spirit Pasmay, a Mi'kmaq powwow dancer, who serves as both a guide and a companion to Link as he starts to connect to his Mi'kmaq heritage and his gay identity.

Wildhood is a gem -- a beautifully filmed, powerfully acted and emotionally rich coming-of-age tale. I'll be thinking of this movie for a long time to come.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I don’t know how I got through the sugariness but I did because of Jonathan Bennett in The Christmas House one and two. Hallmark featuring so prominently an openly happy gay couple must be special, even having them kiss passionately in the first film. Many American TV movies that feature gay couples never allow the guys to do anything but hug, the pretty terrible Rock Hudson biopic I recently found on my hard drive being a good example. « I love You, let’s hug! « French, German and Spanish tv go much further, naked sex scenes , fellatio and even rimming. Can you imagine that in a Hallmark movie? Nice thing about The Christmas House movies is that their being a gay couple is never mentioned, they just are happy and clearly in love.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Wouldn’t agree about Brits not being too reticent about full frontals. There are some actors who will do it as often as they can, but many who wont. A Room With A View was a James Ivory movie and featured some young actors who had no fear, like Rupert Graves who would next co star Maurice. But these are all I’d argue actors with a European outlook and attitude. Though having said that some European actors won’t let us see their dicks, French superstar Pierre Niney is one whose cock I’ve never seen in spite of his doing a lot of nude scenes!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I've got a good one for you all: Wildhood, currently streaming on Hulu.

Link is a biracial young man who runs away from his abusive father when he discovers that his Mi'kmaq mother is not dead as he has been told. Accompanied by his younger half-brother Travis, he sets off on a journey to find her. Along the way, he meets the Two-Spirit Pasmay, a Mi'kmaq powwow dancer, who serves as both a guide and a companion to Link as he starts to connect to his Mi'kmaq heritage and his gay identity.

Wildhood is a gem -- a beautifully filmed, powerfully acted and emotionally rich coming-of-age tale. I'll be thinking of this movie for a long time to come.

Thanks for sharing this and your review. I look forward to seeing it!
I just watched another gay-centric film that was both fresh in its storyline and a well-crafted film.
In From The Side is about two teams of rugby players made up entirely gay men. There is the A team and the B team. The A team is winning and, according to the team's owner, is bringing respect to their organization. He questions whether the coach's efforts to build up the B squad is worth the time and money.

Our handsome protagonist, Mark, is the best player on the B team.
sub-buzz-5331-1663340379-15.jpg

When he finds himself drawn to Warren, one of the star players on the A squad, things get complicated. Warren is in a LTR with another high-profile player on the A squad; Mark is in an open relationship.
Mark and Warren stall.jpg

The connection is intense and impacts every other aspect of these two men's lives.

Not only do both squads count on these players to be their best for games, but their friendships with each other off the field are stabilizing influences in their lives. None is more apparent than Mark's with his bestie, who seems to have trouble with alcohol consumption.
in-from-the-side-main-pic_CH1CJ3K.jpg

Telling stories about affairs in nothing new. Telling stories with gay men already is various forms of long term relationships and how a secret affair specifically impacts gay male friend groups, often made of chosen families, compared to how we often see heteronormative couples and friend groups makes this movie all the more for us, about us, in 2022.

The acting is great and I truly did not know how this was going to end until I reached the last ten minutes.

I am also just superficial enough to also enjoy seeing a bunch of sexy Rugby lads making out with each other.
In From the Side reviews.jpg

Here is the trailer:

Like Wildhood, it is available via streaming from Peccadillo Pictures.

In from the Side blu-ray and streaming.png

Cheers!

Attachments

• in-from-the-side-main-pic_CH1CJ3K.jpg
    in-from-the-side-main-pic_CH1CJ3K.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
In From the Side has been on my radar for months. Unfortunately, it is not available to stream in the U.S. and is region-blocked on UK VOD sites like Peccadillo. (I guess I could try messing around with a VPN, but sometimes that doesn't work either.)

Also, I cannot find any information about either a Stateside theatrical release or a DVD/Blu-ray. I was going to order it from Amazon UK, but they wanted over $10 for shipping. It's still playing the festival circuit here -- it was at the Pittsburgh Reel Q Fest earlier this month -- so I hope it will get some distribution when it has finished making the rounds.

Edited to add: Just found an article in Variety that says that Strand Releasing has obtained the North American rights and is planning a theatrical release sometime in 2023.

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
In From the Side has been on my radar for months. Unfortunately, it is not available to stream in the U.S. and is region-blocked on UK VOD sites like Peccadillo. (I guess I could try messing around with a VPN, but sometimes that doesn't work either.)

Also, I cannot find any information about either a Stateside theatrical release or a DVD/Blu-ray. I was going to order it from Amazon UK, but they wanted over $10 for shipping. It's still playing the festival circuit here -- it was at the Pittsburgh Reel Q Fest earlier this month -- so I hope it will get some distribution when it has finished making the rounds.

Edited to add: Just found an article in Variety that says that Strand Releasing has obtained the North American rights and is planning a theatrical release sometime in 2023.
I am glad it is getting a theatrical release here. I will also gladly buy the Blu-ray if it has some decent extras.
Oh, VPNs, yep, I do 90% of my online time using one these days. Regions be damned! :)

If nothing else, it is hillarious that YouTube gives me Dutch commericals!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I will also gladly buy the Blu-ray if it has some decent extras.
I don't think it has any extras - but I have just ordered the Blu direct from Verve Pictures (for those of you Region B capable - https://vivaverve.com)
Even knowing how the story turns out, there are many entertaining secondary characters that will make it a rewarding re-watch to note how their stories are developed from the start. There's more humour here than in 'God's Own Country' and the ensemble playing makes the whole situation very real.
To those of you yet to see it, enjoy!

Last edited:

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I don't think it has any extras - but I have just ordered the Blu direct from Verve Pictures (for those of you Region B capable - https://vivaverve.com)
I ordered it from vivaverve.com, too. It was only £15.00 plus £4.50 shipping to the US. Comes to about $23.00, which is probably less than what Strand will eventually charge -- if it even gets a Blu-ray release here.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Played rugby at school. Loved rolling in the mud and getting close to so many fit boys! A close contact sport that allows you to touch others without anybody caring. Really good film, beautifully played. Nice to see a gay society without stereotypical gays, with one exception. However I couldn’t live in a tower block near the Elephant in London!
Gorgeous leading man Alexander Grant. Totally convincing. Great to see a gay love story set in such a macho male world. Rugby is so different from football. I’ve met a few gay rugby players and the game is supported by a wide range of people, male and female, unlike soccer., which is a totally different world. Queer is not a word used in soccer in any way other than as an insult. A gay soccer team is almost inconceivable, and a top raked out soccer player impossible even in todays society. In liberal Spain in tv series Elite a huge soccer star, the equivalent of Christiano Ronaldo, comes out and is vilified, booed on the field, in spite of playing brilliantly, then murdered by homophobes. That homophobes are very rare in the rugby world is great, but this film points up the difficulties of team members falling in love and all the inter club player dynamics that can destroy things and cause so much pain and anger. I think rugby being so physically close with men having to touch each other as part of the game brings them closer together. I always recall aged 17 after a game I was in the changing room and one of the other boys stripped off naked and sat opposite me, legs akimbo. The most beautiful cock and balls I have ever seen! I sat mesmerised, and he didn’t care. He knew he was beautiful, and smiled at me quite happily letting me enjoy his gorgeous body and magnificent sex. Nearly 60 years ago and I can close my eyes and still see him and that large uncut cock hanging there.Thank you rugby for that alone. And thank you to the guys who made this terrific film.
I also remember being able to Kick my bullies in the crutch more than once as part of the game.
Spoiler : the ending could have been happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks