What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Check Novello's IMDb page for shots of what the real man looked like. He was quite handsome; I'd venture to say more handsome than Irvine in Benediction. BTW, Benediction is an excellent film.
For more on Sassoon, read the Booker Prize winner, Regeneration, also made into a fine film. You'll meet Sassoon, Dr. Rivers, Owen, Graves, and other veterans of the war. A fine novel; a fine film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Check Novello's IMDb page for shots of what the real man looked like. He was quite handsome; I'd venture to say more handsome than Irvine in Benediction. BTW, Benediction is an excellent film.
For more on Sassoon, read the Booker Prize winner, Regeneration, also made into a fine film. You'll meet Sassoon, Dr. Rivers, Owen, Graves, and other veterans of the war. A fine novel; a fine film.
Novello is the star of Hitchcock's first big hit The Lodger. Very easy to acquire a copy of that most worthy film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Novello is the star of Hitchcock's talkie The Lodger. Very easy to acquire a copy of that most worthy film.
Which included Downhill. I've also seen The Rat and I have a vague recollection of having seen The Return of the Rat, and The Vortex. Now I have to track down his version of The Constant Nymph, the only one I haven't seen.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I've been watching a lot of gay-themed films this Pride month. Some I own, some I've streamed, and some I've checked out of my local library. So far I've seen The Acrobat, Benjamin, Benediction, Constellations [filmed play with Russell Tovey & Omari Douglas], Cowboys & Angels, Departure, Eastern Boys, Fire Island, Goodbye Seventies, The Hours and Times, In Bloom, Joshua Tree 1951: A Portrait of James Dean, King Cobra, Luz, Minyan, Nighthawks -- and, the subject of this post, Mascarpone (2021).

Antonio's world is suddenly turned upside down when he is dumped by his husband, Lorenzo. Since they've been together for 12 years, he has few friends of his own, no job, and needs a place to live. He also has next to no experience with the current gay scene. (In essence, this is a "coming-of-age" story -- but with a 30-year-old man instead of a gay teenager.) He ends up renting a room from gay sex worker Denis, and gets a job as an apprentice for hunky baker Luca.

Mascarpone [Italian title Maschile singolare "Masculine singular"] is a charming rom-com, with good performances, an engaging story, and lots of hot Italian men. It's not heavy or ground-breaking, but, like mascarpone itself, it is very creamy and delicious. (Did I mention the hot Italian men?) It's not out on physical media, but can be rented or purchased digitally. (It's currently on sale for $2.99 in HD on Amazon Prime or Vudu.)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I started The Lake on Amazon Prime this afternoon. I'll reserve judgment until I'm farther into the season, but I wouldn't recommend it on the basis of just the first episode (that's my way of reserving judgment - :rolleyes:).

I'm curious, Matt, did you wade any further yet into The Lake? (Get it? Get it? :lol: )

I felt pretty much the same way you did at the end of episode one. I decided to keep going, though, and before I knew it, I was falling a little bit in love. It really takes the second episode before it all starts to click and the audience can "get" who all of these characters are and what makes them tick. I'm getting a bit of a Schitt's Creek vibe (which may very well be entirely intentional) in the way this little lake community creates an off the wall world of its own and allows us to spend some time there.

I think Jordan Gavaris (I had never heard of him before) is an absolute delight. I'm on episode five (I think?) and I took a break to go back and re-watch the first two episodes to see how they played once I was fully on board and I was surprised by the amount of great stuff I missed the first time around.

I don't know how you feel about it but I'm really enjoying the characters and the ride.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hey, Will. I have not gone any farther into the show yet. There are so many things to stream, and I just spent the day reviewing, so I certainly didn't have time today to watch anything else until this evening when I was playing catch-up with the hearings, etc. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue this week.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Red, White, and Royal Blue, the popular 2019 LBTQ book, is being made into a film by Amazon studios with Greg Berlanti (The Broken Hearts Club, amongst others) producing.

The story of a royal heir to the throne and son of the POTUS who have to pretend to get along for the media and then something unexpected happens.

Casting includes Uma Thurman, Stephen Fry, and these two handsome devils: (See what I did there, Will?) :D
red-white-royal-blue.jpg

I am looking forward to this!

Here is new trailer for Bros:

I have to say, I just love the witty exchanges! So looking forward to this, too!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Based on Will and Matt’s conversation I decided to give The Lake a try. By the end of episode one I was, Nope. I’m done. Ain’t going there. :thumbsdown:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Based on Will and Matt’s conversation I decided to give The Lake a try. By the end of episode one I was, Nope. I’m done. Ain’t going there. :thumbsdown:

Did you miss the part where we both thought the same thing at the end of episode one? You won't even give it a second episode to 'come togther' before deciding? Come on, what's another 30 minutes? :D

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Did you miss the part where we both thought the same thing at the end of episode one? You won't even give it a second episode to 'come togther' before deciding? Come on, what's another 30 minutes? :D
Ahhhhhhh. Lucy with the football. I’ve got Judy Garland movies to watch! I’ll give you one last chance and try another one tomorrow, but if that football gets yanked back, I’m definitely done. ;)

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
With the Elvis movie opening and clearly about to make Austin Butler a superstar may I refer people to the series he starred in a few years ago playing a half elf Shannara Chronicles. There’s no gay sex or relationship in the series but an awful lot of gorgeous looking young men wearing tight tight jeans as part of their elf costumes, Aaron Jakubenko and Mattias Inwood to name just two. And Austin gets his kit off a few times. I really enjoyed both series. Great sets and locations and good special effects.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OK. Another episode of The Lake tonight (#2). I think I must be in the minority, but I've never found mean girls (not the film but the concept) funny, and those three smug sisters are a BIG downer for me every time they make an appearance. Ryan Murphy gave us six years of mean girls on Glee, and I guess that used up any reserve of accommodation for the concept I might have felt. Now, my knee-jerk reaction is to despise any and all incarnations of them. I'm going to continue with the show, but just know that any enthusiasm I might eventually develop for the series will be tempered by my having to endure the presence of these creeps.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Does it count saying that Tom Holland in Uncharted is a gay friendly Blu Ray movie and Tom is simply gorgeous and in the eyes of the film makers the eye candy? With his shirt off I have to cross my legs, coming out the sea with a wet shirt clinging to his ripped body, I have to cross my legs. Gay friendly? Oh boy yes! Such a beauty. Even falling out a plane we are given shots of Tom’s bulging crutch coming towards us! One of the most gay friendly main stream movies in a long time.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Rudy Pankov and Corey Stokes in shorts and often shirtless make Outer Banks worth watching, though I find their characters intensely annoying and stupid at times. But when are American teenagers ever played as intelligent? But the eye candy kept me watching.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm a little late to the party on Fire Island. The trailer made me think it was going to be campy silliness (not a fan of camp) but it was much deeper than that, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I watched FIRE ISLAND last night and I was completely bored with it. It was the worst gay movie that I have seen in many years. Truly garbage. Who ever wrote the screenplay has a lot to learn about writing a script. The film was completely devoid of a story..One of the very worst films that I have seen this year.
"completely devoid of a story", huh? Will I guess that is some people's opinion of the plot of Pride and Prejudice. :rolleyes:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally got around to Happiest Season on Hulu before the holiday weekend. I liked it but probably never want to watch it again. Even though it was charming and wholesome and that kind of stuff, I really wanted Kristen Stewart's character to walk away from the entire situation early on. There were just lies on top of lies of top of lies through the entire movie and lying is something I don't handle very well. All I could think was "Girl, have some self respect and walk away from this disaster. Do it for your own mental well being."

But she doesn't and somehow everything turns out hunky dory in the end.

Maybe I liked it less than I think I did, in retrospect...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Coming Soon! Neil Patrick Harris stars in UnCoupled .

It is available starting July 29th via Netflix.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hay anyone got the new blu-ray of Wilde (1997)?
I wanted to ask if he can confirm that it has English subtitles and how is the A/V quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks