Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I watched last night,a brilliant gay movie called ETE 85 (SUMMER OF 85). It's the latest film from from French director Francios Ozon. A beautifully tender and moving love story. Has any other reader seen this film?

Reactions: MBrousseau

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I watched last night,a brilliant gay movie called ETE 85 (SUMMER OF 85). It's the latest film from from French director Francios Ozon. A beautifully tender and moving love story. Has any other reader seen this film?
I saw it twice at cinema here in France earlier in the year when it opened and yesterday ordered the Blu Ray that is coming out on the 17th So I can watch it for a third, fourth, fifth time! I absolutely adored it and am so glad it’s made it outside of France. I became besotted with with Felix Lefebvre who is simply stunning in the lead role.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
François Ozon is one if my favourite directors, who has never made the same film twice, yet always comes up with interesting often provocative subjects. The New Girlfriend which is totally original, A Curtain Raiser, Time To Leave, another favourite, with wonderful Jeanne Moreau, and the glorious Frantz. Not all have gay themes but he usually has some delicious eye candy involved, Pierre Niney, Louis Garel, Raphaël Personnaz, Romain Duris for example, along with wonderful stars like the afore mentioned a Jeanne Moreau, Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I'm keen to pick this up on blu-ray but it appears that the French release does not have English subtitles and I can't speak French.
Poor you. Has it not been released in Canada where I’m sure it would have both a French and a English subtitles. In France we get a French subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing. But even if you don’t speak French the visuals are worth just looking at!

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Is there not a way of downloading subtitles and somehow projecting them onto a film one is watching off a disc? Smart tvs and modern technology must have found a way of doing this, or am I being too optimistic?

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Just watched the Blu Ray that arrived this morning. Beautiful transfer packed with extras. Of course if you don’t speak French you won’t want this French release. But I so love this movie!

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I get really annoyed when there’s a film I want to see and it’s only released in dvd. Then I see it on an internet site available to download in 1080p. Of course it’s illegal, which makes it even more frustrating. Why can’t they release it on Blu Ray too? Latest film in this category is Benjamin with Colin Morgan that’s had such great reviews.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I'm keen to pick this up on blu-ray but it appears that the French release does not have English subtitles and I can't speak French.
Just been offered an illegal torrent with English subtitles and 1080p so there must be a Blu Ray out there somewhere. Me I think it shameful how people expect to see stuff without paying anything. How do film makers make more films if the ones they’ve already made make no money? Answer is, they don’t. Then what? Rant over.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Different from Others. One of the first (if not the first) gay films ever produced, and a landmark German silent film starring Conrad Veidt. Free stream. Here's the link:

bit.ly/2Uyw94z

All you have to do is register on the UCLA site and watch their restoration of the film.

Mark-W

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Different from Others. One of the first (if not the first) gay films ever produced, and a landmark German silent film starring Conrad Veidt. Free stream. Here's the link:

bit.ly/2Uyw94z

All you have to do is register on the UCLA site and watch their restoration of the film.
Fantastic. Thank you, Bujaki! I have the DVD, but would love a restored version, even if only via streaming.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A brand-new Amazon-Prime exclusive just popped up. It's called Uncle Frank, directed by Alan Ball, is set in 1973 when a girl accidentally finds out that her uncle is gay. I'm going to have to make time to watch this really soon, because it looks exactly like the kind of movie I would love.
Amazon product
MV5BYWRkMzE5MDAtMTNjNS00ZmRhLWEyZTYtMTQyMGQ4NmFjNTU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1MTg4Mzc@._V1_UX182_CR0...jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Water Lilies and Girlhood, two films directed by Celine Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire), are playing on The Criterion Channel through 30 November.

Reactions: Mark-W

Mark-W

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched Uncle Frank yesterday and loved it.

Without giving anything away, it is mostly told from the perspective of the niece, Betty/Beth who feels a strong connection to her uncle.
The family lives in a small rural town, so Uncle Frank's life in New York City, his uniqueness in the family, resonates for Betty/Beth, who needs to be something different than what others tell her she should be.

As Betty/Beth gets closer to Uncle Frank, veneers get peeled away, and the reasons for Uncle Frank's isolation from the rest of the family are revealed. There is pain, shame, guilt, anger, and love as Uncle Frank confronts his past with the passing of his father.

By the ending this one had me deep "in the feels" and tearful.

Highly recommended. (Thanks, Mark-P. I think you'll love it.)

While we're discussing being gay and being part of a family, it's worth noting that visibility in Hallmark-type films, which I have seen as being largely coded to appeal to conservatives has really improved. We can laugh and mock these films, but, particularly in the era of staying home in a pandemic with an elderly parent looking for ways to occupy the time, these have been a respite from the daily onslaught of the news.

With the vast majority of the plots of these being people leaving their corporate jobs in the urban centers (which are liberal) to return to their small, often rural (and conservative) towns where they rediscover their true selves and true loves (often the high-school sweetheart they left behind), having LGBT folks included among the family and close friends is a significant improvement.

Hallmark just aired "The Christmas House" where the romantic leads brother is coupled with another man and waiting for news of adoption. Hallmark had another this last summer, "Wedding Every Weekend," where the romantic leads attend a same-sex wedding, and there was one this week, " A Christmas Tree Grows in Colorado" that includes a gay pairing.

Now we're moving from being supporting characters to the main leads.
Lifetime is releasing one with Fran Dresher and a real-life gay couple on December 12th, The Christmas Set up,
Trailer here:

Paramount is releasing one with Andie MacDowall and one of Hallmark's regular male leads, Peter Porte. It sounds like Dashing in December tackles directly being gay and fitting in a small rural town.
Dashing in December trailer:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Krupp

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I started watching The Christmas House a few nights ago and got interrupted by phone calls and haven't returned to it yet, but I will, and I have these other Christmas outings mentioned by Mark ready to be recorded when they appear.

Reactions: Mark-W

MarkRowley

Grip
Just watched Uncle Frank. Great movie. I found it very emotionally moving. Terrific performances from all the actors.
Thanks for the recommendation.

The director and writer, Alan Ball, also wrote one of my favourite and ground breaking TV series, Six Feet Under.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Just watched Uncle Frank. Great movie. I found it very emotionally moving. Terrific performances from all the actors.
Thanks for the recommendation.

The director and writer, Alan Ball, also wrote one of my favourite and ground breaking TV series, Six Feet Under.
I also watched UNCLE FRANK-possibly one of the best films released this year.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsunamiMike