1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    Just realised I saw Trust when it was broadcast and Harris didn’t have the impact on me as he did in Beach Rats. Or his physique didn’t! But then I didn’t think the hair style suited him in Trust.
    He’s also in the Malificent sequel, replacing the gorgeous Brenton Thwaites for some reason, and in the Kings Man movie, a prequel to the Kingsman movies without either Taron Egerton or Colin Firth, I didn’t understand the reason for. There’s a third Kingsman movie with Taron Egerton in the works, hopefully as good as the first and not as bad as the second.

2. Message #2402 of 2458 Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Just been lent a copy of Postcards from London.
    OK so Harris gets his kit off a few times but I found the movie pretentious rubbish. It reminded me of student films I edited in the early 2000s, just longer and with a bigger budget. Cannot imagine what kind of audience it would find. Yet it's out on Blu Ray!

Mark-W likes this.
  3. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

while London Spy is not!!!

Mark-W likes this.
  4. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    John I was lucky enough to be living in UK when it was originally broadcast so recorded an HD version off air! Like so many British TV series though, many do not make it onto Blu Ray but only DVD.

5. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    As I said at the time, lol, I thought LONDON SPY was a GREAT ride while you were IN it, but the minute you step away and start thinking about what is going on, the gaping plot holes just swallow the whole thing up.

Mark-W likes this.
  6. john a hunter

Am only half way thru Will so am enjoying the ride as you say!

Mark-W and Will Krupp like this.
  7. Will Krupp

Will
    We'll talk after! :P

8. Message #2408 of 2458 Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    My goodness, this tiny mention 3 months ago is all the interest this phenomenal film could muster for this thread? In honor of the Academy Awards, allow me to shower it with some praise. It's a bittersweet story (semi-autobiographical) of an aging, gay film director with quite a few medical ailments (hence the "pain" of the title) who pensively reconciles his past life. There are moments of joy, sadness, longing, and "glory" as well. It got two nominations: one for Antonio Banderas and one for Best International Film. Since Parasite was also nominated for Best Picture (I would swap that out for Pain & Glory in a flash) that pretty much assures that Parasite and not Pain & Glory will win in the Best International category. Looking through a list of Almodovar's films, I now realize that until now I had never seen any of his work. That will have to be rectified.
    I especially liked the reveal at the end. All through the movie there were flashbacks to a younger Salvador and his mother played by Penelope Cruz, and I was noticing that the young boy didn't resemble Banderas very much, and also the older version of Cruz didn't look much like her. The final flashback zooms back to reveal Banderas directing a movie about his youth, so all that had been presented as memory flashbacks, were in fact scenes from his future movie, hence the reason why there was no resemblance. Brilliant!

I also really identified with the scene of young Salvador bringing the towel to Eduardo, and upon seeing him completely naked proceeded to faint!

Mark-W, bujaki and Will Krupp like this.
  9. john a hunter

Well yes..um....
    Finished it yesterday.
    Did like the irony when Alex was caught by his own programme but....
    no real explanation as to why Danny was being set up(I presume)and then no longer a suspect.
    The contaminated blood
    The nonsense with Danny's parents popping up suddenly.
    Surely "they" would have dispatched Danny like Scotty long before Part5.
    I could go on but would be told off for being off topic.
    Still good to see Ben W in a good and meaty part and it was fun while it lasted.

Mark-W and Will Krupp like this.
  10. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    I agree - best not to think too much about it!

john a hunter likes this.
  11. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale

You haven't seen any Almodovar movies? Oh my goodness! Where have you been hiding? All About My Mother is on my top ten of all time list, a simply wonderful movie, that introduced Penelope Cruz to the world. Oscar worthy without a doubt, as was his second Oscar winning movie, the incredibly moving Hable Con Ella (Talk to Her). Then of course Pedro brought us Antonio Banderas who was breathtakingly beautiful in El Ley del Deseo (Law of Desire) playing gay. In fact most of Almodovar's movies have gay themes or characters, along with some wonderful performances, especially from the women, Cruz apart, superb in Volver, Carmen Maura and Marisa Paredes, and there is the incredibly funny Women on The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, which is all female except for Mr Banderas again.
    And let us not forget, and how did you miss this one, La Mala Educación, (Bad Education) with Gael Garcia Bernal looking incredibly beautifully when in drag, and incredibly pretty when not! You have many treats in store getting to know the work of Pedro. I'd only avoid 'I'm So Excited' an outrageously camp "comedy" set on an aircraft.

Mark-W likes this.
  12. Message #2412 of 2458 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    No, you have to see this once, if only for the musical ending...!

13. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Talking of Ben Wishaw did the series Queers make it to Blu Ray? A series of monologues about gay attitudes over the past century from a guy in 1929 through Ben Wishaw, Russell Tovey, three gay ladies, a man of colour, and Alan Cummings getting married to his man! Excellent series. Shown at the same time as The Man in the Orange Suit mentioned recently.

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    We did a gay movie night on Saturday. Me, a guy I will most likely be dating in the near future and his best friend. Started with The Birdcage...it's still a funny as heck movie, but I cringed over some of the language and depictions of homosexuality in the movie. I know I have to look at it in context of the original play and when the movie was made...it is certainly dated in 2020. Still laughed our butts off, though.

Second up was Connie and Carla. Toni Colette and Nia Vardalos witness a murder and run away to West Hollywood where they masquerade as drag queens to get a job. Another relic of the late 90's/early 2000's especially how it portrays the straight David Duchovny interacting with his gay brother. I didn't mind this one, and there's some decent laughs, but I still cringed every once in a while. The whole thing goes gonzo when a Gay Icon shows up in the finale (not saying who it is here...). I'm pretty sure we only had a Pan and Scan DVD.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    If this has been talked about earlier, please let me know because I'd love to read others' comments. 121 pages is a little daunting to go back and reread.

I watched Whirlwind over the weekend from Amazon Prime. (I think that was the name of it; a one word title beginning with "W.")
    Despite having a lot of attractive 30-somethings living and partying in NYC, it was a rather infuriating movie. There's a guy whose partner dumped him for his best friend, and so now he takes it upon himself to find cliques of friends (partners and singles) whom he can manage to break up their relationships/friendships. These guys have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to see what this jerk is doing, but they allow him to continue to participate in their lives for some unfathomable reason (I guess because he's good looking). Of course, it's not THAT surprising they're oblivious to his machinations: they remain drunk or stoned for goodly portions of the movie so they have their guard down and let themselves be easily manipulated. Must be 10-15 years old since everyone has flip phones rather than smart phones. Anyway, save yourself some grief and skip it.

Mark-W likes this.
  16. john a hunter

I have a flip phone!!!Boo who!!

17. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Nothing wrong with a flip phone. Until a year ago January, so did I. I was merely using them as a measuring stick to date the film since I didn't pay attention to its copyright when I was watching it. The odds on all of the guys having flip phones would be very low were the movie shot in the last five years or so.

Mark-W likes this.
  18. Will Krupp

Will
    I can't wait to miss it (as the saying goes)

Mark-W and Matt Hough like this.
  19. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Wish I'd been warned when it was on the festival circuit, 'cause I wasted my time on it back then...

20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Surely I can't be the only one who recorded and watched the new rom-com The Thing About Harry broadcast on Saturday on Freeform cable (and Hulu for streamers).

Written and directed by Peter Paige, it features lots of very attractive guys but it's predictable in every moment. A gay rom-com is an appealing change from the usual (no one is struggling with his sexual orientation here), but why couldn't there be plot twists and arguments that weren't so by-the-numbers. Why can't people stop and talk and listen for one minute instead of ending everything and storming off? Nice to see the romance but it was all just a bit too pre-digested.

Will Krupp, Mark-W and usrunnr like this.