1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    When you mentioned art house movies did you guys see The Stranger By The Lake the French art house gay killer that got the critics all excited but frankly left me cold? When the close up come shot happened the old lady in the row in front of me turned and glared at me as if I'd done it! Got cut from the tv showing. I found the film rather slow and boring, and the leads unattractive, so the nudity which is for most of the film, was of little consequence. Mind you French actors get their kit off without batting an eye so I go to see favourite actors in their new movies no matter the subject matter almost expecting to see full frontals. Gaspard Ulliel, one of the sexiest men on the planet, always strips off! Merci Gaspard :)

DeanHarris likes this.
  2. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Anybody raving about My Life with John F. Donovan apart from me? I think it Xavier Dolan's best movie but it seems to have passed by a lot of people. Distribution problems in the USA too. Have they been cleared up yet? Sorry if this has been mentioned before, Ony just found this thread and can't trawl through all 117 pages!

3. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    I love coming here on HTF to find out about films that haven't been on my radar for one reason or another and now find out about The Center Of My World. Looks great! I just ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon and should have it for weekend viewing. Will, anything that elicits a reaction like that from you must be worth seeing.

Being of German heritage from a town in NE Ohio that was known as New Berlin for 100 years before a name change during WW1, taking two years of German in high school and spending time in Deutschland last summer I'm looking forward to this. Oh, and for other reasons. Paul, I certainly wouldn't kick Jannik Schümann out of bed. ;)

Mark-W and Will Krupp like this.
  4. Message #2324 of 2457 Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Gorgeous he is! (they both were) I've had the metaphorical opportunity to share "Jannik" and I remember saying at the time (rather theatrically, upon reflection) "I'm sorry, I just don't hate myself enough" Lol

It MAY just be that I'm getting OLD!

Mark-W, Matt Hough and JoelA like this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Never! :dance:

Will Krupp and JoelA like this.
  6. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Bless.....
    58cf05a16a0cdc987019706d0a373b2b.

Mark-W, JoelA, MatthewA and 1 other person like this.
  7. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Me neither! And it isn't just the "You coming" as he goes naked to the showers. And what a gorgeous site he is naked! Have two more of his movies to watch and am tracking down others.
    But have to say Centre Of My World is a very good movie, gay theme and nudity apart, it's beautifully made and played.

JoelA likes this.
  8. Message #2328 of 2457 Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
    ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    This post has been edited. Content Removed by Ownership

Gents: We are an adult-orientated forum. I did what I could to allow these nude pictures to remain -- most likely hidden by spoilers -- however, in the end, we decided we could not allow them.

The problem is our advertisers. We are forbidden from hosting nude photos on this forum. If we do, we violate our contract with our advertisers. Even hidden with spoilers, their artificial intelligence will pick up on the images.

I am sorry. I hope you understand.

Ron Epstein
    co-owner, Home Theater Forum

usrunnr, Mark-W, JoelA and 2 others like this.
  9. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Fair enough Ron.

10. Message #2330 of 2457 Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Oh well I tried. I never find nudity offensive, but that's just me. Still fighting narrow minds in this 21st century! Hope some of you got to see them before they were hiked! Maybe encouraged more to buy the Blu Ray and watch this wonderful movie.
    Saw The Aftermath last night in which Jannik appears briefly as a young man in 1945 who won't believe the Nazis have lost and tries to fight on. He only appears in a few scenes and his character doesn't last long! Today it's Youth without God in which he is one of the leads!

MatthewA likes this.
  11. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Man in an Orange Shirt - UK Blu Release

Way back on message 1972 on June 20th 2018 I was whinging that this BBC show still wasn't getting a Blu Ray release here in the UK, despite your release in the US.
    Amazingly, 'Network on Air' have relented and my Region B copy arrived today. I'm not sure how much business it will do over 2.5 years after it aired and was released on DVD...

JoelA and Mark-W like this.
  12. Message #2332 of 2457 Jan 11, 2020
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark

Thanks, Ron. I am glad we don't feign priggishness here. Still, I like checking this forum during breaks at work; I never thought I would risk having an NSFW image on my work computer while visiting this site.

JoelA, Malcolm R and Will Krupp like this.
  13. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    That's the difference between us. I do not consider nudity as being NSFW unless it contains sexual arousal or activity. A photo of a beautiful naked actor is not more offensive than Michaelangelo's David or Botticellii's Birth of Venus to me. Do we ban showing images of those works of art too? Jannick Schümann naked is a work of art for me as well. I am shocked that anybody would be shocked seeing it.

14. Message #2334 of 2457 Jan 11, 2020
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I am not shocked, far from it, but my employer has standards and rules we agree to as employees in terms of content we access on their company-owned equipment.

I am not talking about offense. I am talking about the assumption that I could visit and read threads at the hometheaterform while at work without violating my employer's guidelines.

"I do not consider nudity as being NSFW."
    Not Safe For Work means my employer determines what is acceptable content on their computers and network. They determine that; I don't.

If I am driving the company car, they get the set to standards for how I drive which may be more restrictive than how I drive my own car.

I collect fine art prints by an artist that worked for Playboy. I take no offense at looking at his work or doing research on the models that posed for him. At the same time, I know I cannot Google "Cathy St George" or "Tracy Vaccaro" while at work, even on break, though images of naked women in Playboy do nothing for me sexually. How my coworkers would feel seeing this on my desktop at work is another matter. This is why we have standards and guidelines about what content we can view in our shared work environment.

I love visiting this site. It is ideal for quick pop-ins during breaks at work to see what new Blu-ray Robert Harris has reviewed or catchup on a thread I follow. I never have to think, "Oh, there may be content here my employer would not want me looking at while at work."

Malcolm R and Will Krupp like this.
  15. Message #2335 of 2457 Jan 11, 2020
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Josh also plays a sexually adventurous writer in PBS's The Durrells in Corfu, which is a lovely way to spend several hours. Most seasons are available on Blu-ray. The remaining episodes are available on PBS and Amazon streaming.

16. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    He is a very unlikeable character in The Durrells, really selfish and arrogant, and not particularly attractive, just like I understand the real life man was, which is weird as Josh can look very attractive. Mind you I didn't think him very attractive in Gods Own Country until he got cleaned up to go in search of his Romanian near the end of the movie when I sat up and thought Oh My Josh, You scrub up nice! :)

Mark-W likes this.
  17. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I agree. Josh's character is arrogant, which adds to the great mix in the Durrell family. While Josh does not personally float my boat, I really enjoy him as an actor and continue to be impressed with the diversity of characters he has played.

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well, let's be fair: the latter movie opens with him
    puking his guts out.

19. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    I'm getting really frustrated at the way some movies are released onto disc. Many seem to only get DVD releases outside their country of origin where few have English subtitles on them, especially German movies. Then today I found a Swiss German movie I've wanted to see for a while with English, German and French subtitles on the DVD but only German on the Blu Ray. If they can put three different sets of subtitles on the DVD there is no excuse not to include them on the Blu Ray. So why don't they? The film in question is Mario. But the same thing has happened with numerous other movies. Makes no sense if the manufacturers actually want to sell a lot of Blu Rays. Not everyone wants to stream movies or download them to their computers. Where I live the internet is slow and bad weather can disrupt any downloads or streaming. Sometimes I'm halfway through a Netflix movie when it cuts off! Really annoying. As they only manufacture High Definition TVs now why they haven't pushed Blu Ray more is beyond me, yet they seem to carry on pushing DVDs, and while Blu Ray players come down in cost, the discs do not.

KeithDA likes this.
  20. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    BEING 17

There I was looking at the price of this French coming out movie on Blu Ray that has had really good notices and wondering if it was worth investing when it showed up on French television in glorious HD. We have 26 free to air HD channels in France. I put on the French subtitles that almost all programmes/movies have here so i got the subtleties of the dialogue. A slow burning but satisfying story set in the Pyrenees with two attractive leads and a happy ending. Glad I didn't have to pay 26 Euros for it!