1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Eastsiders Season 4 is on Netflix. Guess I know how I'm spending the weekend.

2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Is that a new season? I had no idea they were still making it. No Constance Wu, I assume?

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Yep, and it's the last from what I understand. I couldn't tell you if Constance is in it, though.

Will Krupp likes this.
  4. Message #2304 of 2389 Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Yes and I'm 2/3 of the way through (with no Constance so far)
    I quite like the pace and the snappiness of the dialogue, but I've decided I don't really like these people....

Will Krupp and Jason_V like this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That was my feeling, too!

KeithDA, Will Krupp and Jason_V like this.
  6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    For sure. I've had that feeling since the first episode. These aren't people I'd ever associate with in real life, but I'll be damned if I don't like checking in on them once a year or so via the series.

KeithDA and Will Krupp like this.
  7. Will Krupp

Will
    I couldn't have said it any better. I'd go to great lengths to avoid these people in real life but on TV every once in awhile (where I can control my exposure, lol) is PERFECT. :lol:

ahollis, KeithDA, JoelA and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Just received Olivia on Blu-ray. I spot-checked the disc, and it has a Christmas scene in it! It will be perfect to watch during the holidays.

254181_front.

Will Krupp likes this.
  9. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Check out Diamantino currently streaming on the Criterion Channel, or available as a Kino BD. The male lead is eye candy and has nude scenes; the female lead is involved in a lesbian relationship. The film is outrageous, hard to describe and quite good.

Will Krupp likes this.
  10. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Thanks for reminding me about this release which is a must get for me.

Will Krupp, ahollis and Mark-P like this.
  11. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    Ive just discovered gorgeous German actor Jannik Schümann who has featured in a number of gay roles. The Centre Of My World has a beautiful BluRay in Germany but with only German subtitles. English ones are available on the U.K. DVD but there’s no Blu Ray. There are some lingering full frontals though and naked love scenes. Same problem with lack of subtitles with the tv series Charité set during WW2 in which he plays part of a gay couple struggling to stay together in spite of the Nazis. Beautiful pictures but no sub titles.

Mark-W, Sean Thompson and Will Krupp like this.
  12. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I assume that means you are in the UK. There is a region A Blu-ray of The Center of My World with English subs here in the US. I would have to check if the disc is actually open region or not.

Mark-W likes this.
  13. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Charité WWII plays in the USA over Netflix with English subtitles. It's an outstanding series. So is the original Charité series set in the 19th century.

14. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    It is region-free. It is US release by TLA Video:
    https://www.amazon.com/Center-World-Blu-ray-Louis-Hofmann/dp/B074R64BPC/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1578542264&sr=8-2

or from TLA directly:
    https://www.tlavideo.com/blu-rays/1926420/center-of-my-world

I bought it a couple of years ago. Great film!

15. Will Krupp

Will
    I agree, Mark! But that didn't stop me from wanting to kick certain characters right in the ass. Ooooh, did I get mad!!!!

Mark-W likes this.
  16. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Agree Will. But would you have shared Jannik? I would! He's gorgeous.

Mark-W likes this.
  17. Message #2317 of 2389 Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Netflix in Europe isn't showing it for some reason. Really annoying. And why the UK hasn't released a Blu Ray of that and Centre of My World when they are available elsewhere with English subitles makes me mad. I have two of Jannk Schümann's other German movies both with a selection of subtitles including English. Was watching a short gay Swiss German film yesterday which had part French dialogue and Spanish subtitles, which as I speak both of those meant I could understand. But I struggled at school with German and only had two years so need all the help I can get!

18. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    I actually live in France but buy discs from UK, Germany, Spain and France. Getting them from USA costs a lot! Spanish discs can be bootleg and bad quality so one has to be careful. Though another of my crushes Mario Casas has made some terrific movies and most of those have English subtitles and appear on Blu Ray.

19. Message #2319 of 2389 Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Movies I am looking forward to seeing this year:
    (This is sub-set of Carla Hay's list at NewNowNext.)

Ammonite

In 1840s England, fossil hunter Mary Anning (Kate Winslet) is living by the sea and selling her discoveries to tourists to support herself and her ailing mother. Her life changes when rich visitor Roderick Murchison (James McArdle) asks her to look after his wife, Charlotte Murchison (Saoirse Ronan), and the two women end up falling for each other. Written and directed by Francis Lee, Ammonite is inspired by real events and will have a select run in arthouse cinemas.

The Boys in the Band
    Acclaimed producers Ryan Murphy and David Stone have teamed up again with director Joe Mantello to adapt their Tony-winning Broadway revival of The Boys in the Band into a Netflix movie. The cast members from the 2018 play—including Matt Bomer, Jim Parsons, Zachary Quinto, Andrew Rannells, Charlie Carver, Brian Hutchison, Michael Benjamin Washington, Robin de Jesús, and Tuc Watkins—have reunited for the drama, about a group of gay friends who gather for a birthday party—and proceed to dish out the bitchery.

Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn
    Directed by Ivy Meeropol, this is the second documentary in two years about disbarred attorney Roy Cohn (a former mentor-cum-fixer for Donald Trump). The difference between it and Matt Tyrnauer’s 2019 documentary Where’s My Roy Cohn? is that it digs deeper into Cohn’s closeted gay life. Viewers will get firsthand accounts of how Cohn (who died of complications from AIDS in 1986, at the age of 59) led a double life in New York City and the gay haven of Provincetown, in Massachusetts. HBO’s Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn, which had its world premiere at the New York Film Festival, also touches on Meeropol’s tragic family connection to Cohn: Her paternal grandparents were Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, who were executed in 1953 for espionage, during the Cold War witch hunt led by U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy and his protégé Cohn.

The Capote Tapes
    The life story of celebrated gay author Truman Capote is told with a unique twist in this documentary directed by Ebs Burnough. Much of the narration comes from uncovered tapes of interviews that The Paris Review co-founder George Plimpton conducted with Capote’s friends and associates after his 1984 death from liver disease. As they share their perspectives, we learn about his rise to the upper echelons of New York society and his downward spiral as a hedonistic Studio 54–loving partier. Greenwich Films will offer a limited U.S. theatrical release of the movie, which made the festival rounds at Toronto and DOC NYC in 2019.

Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen
    Featuring more than 100 years of footage, Sam Feder and Amy Scholder’s documentary explores the history of transgender people and cross-dressers as portrayed in movies and on television. Laverne Cox, Mj Rodriguez, Chaz Bono, and Strong Island director Yance Ford give interviews in what amounts to an examination of how to rectify the prejudices and misconceptions surrounding trans people on screen. The movie will make its world premiere at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival.

I Carry You With Me
    Based on a true story, I Carry You With Me is about two Mexican lovers, Iván (Armando Espitia) and Gerardo (Christian Vázquez), whose decades-long romance is tested when one of them moves to New York to pursue his dream of becoming a chef. Award-winning filmmaker Heidi Ewing, who’s known for the documentaries Jesus Camp and Freakonomics, makes her first foray into narrative feature directing with the film, which will debut at Sundance before it hits U.S. theaters.

Lazy Susan
    Will & Grace scene-stealer Sean Hayes co-wrote and stars in this comedy, in which he plays the transgender title character, who’s going through a midlife crisis. Susan is unemployed, totally single, and having problems with her family. Can she get it together and turn her life around? Directed by Nick Peet and also starring Allison Janney, Matthew Broderick, Margo Martindale, and Jim Rash, the film will be released in North America by Shout! Studios.

I just wish Boys in the Band included the "Will Krupp POV shot" of Matthew Bomer in the shower from the live show. :D

20. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Josh also played Marius in the recent BBCTV adaptation of Les Miserables, again unrecognisable from his Yorkshire moors farmhand!

Mark-W, Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.