1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I don't confuse them, but I see them as easily being able to play the same parts.

Will Krupp likes this.
  2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    For those interested, The Lavender Scare airs tonight on PBS. From all reports, it's a very solid doc on the witch hunt and purging of LGBT individuals from public service.

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  3. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I agree! And finally poor DeDe wasn't getting shit on so much!

I gotta say it again, Barbara Garrick looks great.

Mark-W and Matt Hough like this.
  4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I searched this thread and apparently Akron has not yet been discussed. I've had my eye on it for years, and as it finally went on sale for $6.99 at iTunes (Pride Month Sale) I made a blind buy. As it is low-budget indie film, I had very low expectations, however I was pleasantly surprised. It's about the budding romance between two (very attractive) college boys. It's a modern gay film in that homosexuality is completely a non-issue as the boys have been out since high school and both come from completely accepting and loving families. The conflict in this story arises from a completely unique situation. I'll say no more. The performances were well done (by indie standards) and the emotions felt real, for the most part as there were only a couple instances where things felt a bit forced. Overall a good film and I don't hesitate to recommend it, 3 out of 4 stars.

Akron.

Mark-W, JoelA, Malcolm R and 2 others like this.
  5. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Thanks for the heads up, Mark. It's also on Hulu and I just added it to my queue. Sounds like something right up my alley.

Mark-W, Mark-P and Will Krupp like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched Akron tonight, and I agree with Mark: a quality indie film that I got involved with and was pleased with the production. And how wonderful to have the angst come from a place completely unrelated to homosexuality.

JoelA, Will Krupp and Mark-P like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Late this afternoon, I started streaming Scenes from a Gay Marriage on Amazon Prime. I was about thirty minutes in before I got interrupted; I will go back and finish it later this evening, but I have to say so far I have been less than taken with it. We'll see what develops in the final 2/3 of the movie.

8. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Pass (Netflix HD) There's more than one meaning to the word in the title. Russell Tovey stars as a footballer who spends a night with a team member. This affects their life, professionally and personally. A great supporting turn from Arinze Kene. Neatly divided into 3 acts; the last one plays a bit "virginiawoolfish," but is very effective. I don't think this is available on disc. Also available ($$) on Amazon Prime.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I finished this one. It turned out to be a very light, subtle romance, but not romantic enough to fully engage me, and with a leading character (played by the film's writer, producer, director, editor) that just wasn't all that appealing.

Mark-W likes this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Stumbled onto another Prime offering: Long Term Relationship. I watched it without much enthusiasm. The main couple didn't have much chemistry at all (his roommate Vincent who was carrying a torch for him had a much stronger vibe with him, but the screenwriter wrote things in another direction).

11. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Where did this come from? A long-forgotten 1951 French film with lesbian overtones, now restored and coming back to theaters. I look forward to adding this one to my collection.

Will Krupp likes this.
  12. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    With Edwige and Simone, I'm definitely in for this one! New to me as well.

Mark-W likes this.
  13. Message #2253 of 2291 Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I snagged this text from the Tab Hunter Confidential FB Group:

In remembrance of Tab’s passing one year ago, we are thrilled that Turner Classic Movies: TCM will be premiering Tab Hunter Confidential on Tab’s birthday: July 11th, 8:00p.m. EST, 5:00p.m. PST.

Please tune in as our producer and Tab’s partner Allan Glaser hosts, with Eddie Muller, our award-winning documentary, along with some of Tab’s best and rarely seen films: GUNMAN’S WALK with Van Heflin, THAT KIND OF WOMAN with Sophia Loren, and BATTLE CRY with Dorothy Malone.

Set those DVR’s!​

I just watched Tab in Damn Yankees this last weekend for the first time.
    All I was thinking after it was over is "Why was I so unaware of Gwen Verdon until now?"

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm glad the film is going to get this major kind of treatment. I watched it on Prime (or was it Netflix), but I'll willingly watch it again. It's wonderful.

When I watch Damn Yankees, I lament that Tab didn't get to sing more in it. The role had a couple of ballads and other tunes that got tossed for time (I guess).

Mark-W likes this.
  15. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I met Tab Hunter on a TCM Classic Cruise the year he was making the documentary, which he talked about with us for a few minutes. Very nice guy.

Mark-W likes this.
  16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Mark-W likes this.
  17. Harold Chasen

Steven
    I just Bought Desert Fury as a blind buy in the latest Kino-Lorber sale, and I'm very glad I did. It's very good, and I can only, gaspingly, agree with Eddie Mueller's assessment - "Desert Fury is the gayest movie ever produced in Hollywood's golden era." It's certainly the most overt I've seen.

This isn't one of those "read into it if you want to" situations, or even an "only a sophisticated viewer will get it" situation. There's simply no other way to read Wendell Corey and John Hodiak than as boyfriends. Even Rope and Gilda are subtle by comparison.

It's clear from the start of the movie, but for those who missed it, here's John Hodiak's explanation to Lizabeth Scott of how he met Wendell Corey:

"I was your age, maybe a year older. I was in the automat off Times Square about two o'clock in the morning on a Saturday. I was broke, he had a couple of dollars, we got to talking. He ended up paying for my ham and eggs,"

"And then?" Paula asks.

"I went home with him that night. I was locked out. Didn't have a place to stay. His old lady ran a boarding house in the Bronx. There were a couple of vacant rooms. We were together from then on."

I guess by saying "a couple of vacant rooms" they were able to preserve the facade that they didn't actually sleep in the same room? Otherwise, I'm not sure how this got by.

The lesbian overtones in the relationship between Mary Astor and Lizabeth Scott are more subdued, so I can see how that one got by the Code and by viewers of the time. This one is a more typical "it's there if you want to see it, but it's not there if you want to deny it" depiction.

This movie would make a great double feature with Gilda - another movie about a women coming between boyfriends.

JoelA, ahollis, Mark-W and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Harold,

Thank you soooo much! I love finding out things like this. I will be ordering the Blu-ray sooner rather than later because of you.

JoelA and Will Krupp like this.
  19. Message #2259 of 2291 Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Mary Astor plays Fritzi as pretty butch, I'll grant you, and Lizabeth Scott can't seem to ever help BUT play butch (God love her) but, considering that they're mother and daughter in the film, that's one subtext I have to admit (thankfully) never even occurred to me! Lol!

I always though there was more than a suggestion
    that Paula might just be the product of Eddie and Fritzi's affair and that's the real reason she's so desperate to keep them apart,
    which amps up the creep factor by about fifty.

I do love this crazy movie.

20. Message #2260 of 2291 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Harold Chasen

Steven
    Well, who has the last kiss in the movie?

As for your spoiler, I agree totally. But, just like the Mary Astor-Lizabeth Scott relationship, there are other factors (the ages of the various people involved) that argue against it. Like some other movies, Desert Fury is so busy being overheated and trying for every perverse angle, that it can't make them all work out (or, if you'll pardon the expression, it can't keep everything straight).

I love the movie too, and I agree with Eddie Mueller's other statement, that only its relative unavailability can have prevented it from having a larger cult. Now that's available again, it should finally get the attention it deserves, as one of the craziest and most genre-busting movies to come from the studio system (Western, noir, melodrama, Technicolor star vehicle - all that's lacking is a musical number).

JoelA and Will Krupp like this.