1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Message #2221 of 2256 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I agree.

This is one of the key songs the Genie sings....

"...Prince Ali
    Fabulous he

Ali Ababwa
    Genuflect
    Show some respect
    Down on one knee
    Now, try your best to stay calm
    Brush up your Sunday salaam
    Then come and meet his spectacular coterie
    Prince Ali
    Mighty is he
    Ali Ababwa
    Strong as ten regular men, definitely!
    He faced the galloping hordes
    A hundred bad guys with swords
    Who sent those goons to their lords?
    Why, Prince Ali
    He's got seventy-five golden camels
    Don't they look lovely, June?
    Purple peacocks
    He's got fifty-three
    Fabulous Harry! I love the feathers!
    When it comes to exotic-type mammals
    Has he got a zoo?
    I'm telling you
    It's a world-class menagerie
    Prince Ali! Handsome is he, Ali Ababwa
    That physique! How can I speak
    Weak at the knee
    Well, get on out in that square
    Adjust your veil and prepare
    To gawk and grovel and stare at Prince Ali
    He's got ninety-five white Persian monkeys
    (He's got the monkeys, let's see the monkeys)
    And to view them he charges no fee
    (He's generous, so generous)
    He's got slaves, he's got servants and flunkies
    Proud to work for him
    They bow to his whim
    Love serving him
    They're just lousy with loyalty
    To Ali! Prince Ali!
    Prince Ali!
    Amorous he! Ali Ababwa
    Heard your princess was a sight lovely to see
    And that, good people, is why he got dolled up and dropped by
    With sixty elephants, llamas galore
    With his bears and lions
    A brass band and more
    With his forty fakirs, his cooks, his bakers
    His birds that warble on key
    Make way for prince Ali!"
    Songwriters: Alan Irwin Menken / Howard Elliott Ashman

MatthewA and Mark-W like this.
  2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    The new Tales of the City has premiered on Netflix. While I haven't started it yet, I did read a review which confirms my worst fears. It's a bit revisionist in that it doesn't follow the books, and completely fudges the timeline, where Mary Ann and Michael, who were about 25 in 1976 are in their mid-fifties in 2019. Figure that one out! I'm guessing Maupin had to concede to these revisions in order to bring the original cast into the present day. I will try to enjoy it despite this setback. It's kind of like how the Simpsons are frozen in time, or how Nancy Drew solved over 60 mysteries all at the age of 18.

Will Krupp and Mark-W like this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I'll give it that dramatic license, but I've read some other reviews that weren't very positive either. I'll see for myself starting today.

Mark-W likes this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I did watch the first episode of the new Tales of the City today. (I won't binge it; I want to stretch out the viewing in order to appreciate it more). It was great to be back on Barbary Lane with familiar faces and characters from long ago, but I can't say I was overly swept away by the new characters who were introduced. They may grow on me over the course of the season, but I was more interested in those whom we already knew.

Mark-W and ahollis like this.
  5. Message #2225 of 2256 Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I watched Tales of the City: The Next Generation ;) over the weekend.
    It has moments that are quite moving and others that I would leave out entirely.

Without giving anything away here are some of my thoughts:
    • As much as I love Murray Bartlett (He is everything I find appealing.), he does not feel like Mouse to me. The earlier Michael Tollivers both had a wide-eyed, aw-shucks ness to them that is completely absent in the ever-confident Bartlett.
    • There are powerful scenes, particularly a dinner party. The tension between the generations of gay men in 50s vs 20s is something no series has ever addressed. The rifts I feel (e.g. You guys don't get it. You don't know your history. You have no idea how bad it was.) has never been stated before.
    • Anna's connection to the new residents of Barbury Lane is MIA. We're supposed to believe it was there. We never saw it.
    • The social media twins were irritating; I would have spent that time with the other characters.
    • The episode where
      we flashback to Anna's arrival in San Francisco
      was amazing. It was a powerful piece of stand-alone drama all on its own.
    • Michael's chat down the walkway near the end crushed me in a good way.
    • Anna's present day dilemma felt forced. The
      red herring
      was a poor use of screen time.
    • I don't remember Mary Ann being this irritating.
    • I did love Brian's neighbor, as far as new characters go.
    Overall, I enjoyed it. If I had the time and energy, I would make a cut that omits the social media twins and Anna's present-day dilemma, If I had the power, I would include more scenes with Anna connecting with Mary Ann, Michael, Brian, and Shawna.

So, there it is without any spoilers that are not blocked out as such.

Cheers!

mrz7, Will Krupp and Matt Hough like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm only five episodes in at this point, but that dinner party debate was the highlight of the series for me so far hitting so close to home and saying so eloquently what my generation feels about what happened to us. And when Steven Spinella (who won two Tonys for his Broadway performances in the separate parts of Angels in America) cursed the show, that was really an ironic and spine-tingling moment. Also, how great was it to see glorious gay actors from years gone by like Dan Butler and Bryan Batt who don't get nearly enough exposure on TV any more!

No one will ever completely be Michael other than Marcus D'Amico who embodied the character to perfection. But my love for Murray Bartlett has no bounds so I'm perfectly content with him.

mrz7, ahollis, Will Krupp and 2 others like this.
  7. Message #2227 of 2256 Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Great post, Mark, but I couldn't yet read all of it since I'm only four episodes in, but I'm finally loving it and am ALL IN after this last episode (which features the dinner party and finally a thaw between Mary Ann and Shawna.) I can't wait to revisit it to see what's under those spoiler tags :)

I thought it was rough sledding in the beginning and I didn't feel like I was going to warm up to it at all, at first. The fifteen year time change was (and remains) jarring but I'm learning to live with it (though I still don't understand it) and I'm just sort of half pretending that it's happening in 2005 rather than today (sorta.) They hit us with so much overwhelming "on the nose" inclusiveness right out of the gate that it really felt like ticking the boxes for their own sake. I thought it came across as a self-congratulatory parade rather than an organic choice but I calmed myself down and realized that it was coming from a good, well intentioned place so I got over it and I'm glad I did.

That's my main ongoing complaint. I HATE the way they've changed her character in the first episodes (Mary Ann the Destroyer) and, while Linney is superb (natch), I don't like seeing Mary Ann (at THIS stage in the story) being the character that everyone else rolls their eyes at.

What I LOVE is that San Francisco is finally back as a character. In the (sublime) first series, there is a lot of location work that allows the characters to interact with the city itself and helps create a perfect feel of time and place. I'm amazed at how easy it is, when watching the 1993 series, to forget that it WASN'T shot in the 1970's. The second and third series omit San Francisco almost entirely and relegate it to establishing shots and inserts. There is no feel of the city in the two Showtime series and it's finally back. It makes all the difference.

Tons of love for Paul Gross coming back as Brian. He's aged SO well (swoon!) and I was never ever able to warm to Whip Hubley, who replaced him after the first series, in the part. I actually loathed ALL of the recasts for series two but that's a story for another time.

I heartily concur! Michelle Buteau can also be seen in the Ali Wong romantic comedy ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE (netflix) and she's just as appealing in it as she is here.

So, as I said, so far so good. I'm IN it for the duration (I LOVE it when you're watching something and that moment hits where you can just FEEL that they've won you!) and I'll let you know if the warm fuzzies hold out!!

By the way, concerning the instagram twins....

I was SURE they were DeDe's kids, Edgar and Anna, but apparently they aren't?

I thought is was devastatingly good as well, and came as quite a surprise as the series, to that point, seemed entirely on the side (and in the mindset) of Ben's generation. It was nice to see as a counterpoint and the delivery was perfection, I thought. We're at about the same point and I'm just about to catch up with you after I post this. I DO like it a lot so far.

Didn't he just, though? Paul Hopkins may have had more of the Castro Clone "look" about him but he was NEVER Mouse.

ahollis, Mark-W and Matt Hough like this.
  8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I haven't started watching the series yet, as work schedules are not co-operating for a time when I can watch it with my hubby. But that specific thing ^^^ almost made me want to toss the baby out with the bathwater. I've read Maupin's three followup books, Michael Tolliver Lives, Mary Ann in Autumn, and The Days of Anna Madrigal which honor the true time-line and it's going to be hard to adjust to this alternate universe.

Mark-W and Will Krupp like this.
  9. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Me too! We'll get to it next week hopefully.
    I don't remember the earlier series as well as some of you on here - I think that only series 1 aired on Channel 4 and the rest never made it over the pond...?

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    If nothing else, it's been great to get our little gang here back together again to talk about something in common.

ahollis, Mark-W and Will Krupp like this.
  11. Message #2231 of 2256 Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    And so far we've been so well BEHAVED! :P
    Annex - Shearer, Norma (Women, The)_01.

I feel you! I don't get it but it's "livable." A lot of the updating seems clumsy and forced, to be honest (like Mouse suddenly popping Truvada and someone offhandedly paying for their purchase at Plant Parenthood with their phone as though they're popping in to say, don't forget it's 2019, y'all!) and it makes me think (although I have NO proof of this) that they may have planned at least the core parts of it in the original timeline and then perhaps changed their minds so that they could avoid any potentially offensive '2005' moments when telling the genderqueer parts of the story. It's just a guess.

In truth, there has been SOMETHING to overcome in all of the follow ups and, while this may be jarring, it's STILL preferable to the cast "massacre" of Series Two. Give it a chance, it goes down more easily as the show progresses.

Mark-W, ahollis and Matt Hough like this.
  12. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    I can't quite imagine this version of Michael ever being on rollerskates.....

Mark-W, SteveJKo and Will Krupp like this.
  13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I got to the infamous eighth episode tonight and found it pretty captivating. Also, how great that another out actor, Andrew Scott, has joined the Tales of the City family.

14. Will Krupp

Will
    I finished the series and have to admit I was kind of in love with it. Flawed? Yes, but it has heart. That goes a long way.

Wasn't it great? Both Jen Richards as young Anna and Daniela Vega as her sadder but wiser friend are mesmerizing. Vega is also phenomenal in FANTASTIC WOMAN and I highly recommend it.

I love him but I'm embarrassed to say I must have missed him (?) Who did he play?

And I know this is shallow but can we give a shout out to Barbara (DeDe) Garrick? She looks even better NOW than she did twenty five years ago!

JoelA and Mark-W like this.
  15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    OMG! I confused Luke Kirby with Andrew Scott! Honestly, when I did it on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with his Lenny Bruce, I swore I'd never confuse the two again, and here I am doing the same thing all over again!

Will Krupp likes this.
  16. Message #2236 of 2256 Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    Oh, hahah, thank God (I thought I was losing it because I adore Jimmy Moriarty!)

Matt Hough likes this.
  17. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Someone should start a thread called "What two actors do you confuse for each other?" Because I think everybody does it. I used to confuse Cate Blanchett with Tilda Swinton!

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  18. Will Krupp

Will
    By the way, I don't know if you're a fan but Andrew Scott is very good playing a straight priest in the new season of FLEABAG on Prime.

KeithDA and Mark-W like this.
  19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It's one of about ten shows I have on my to-watch list from Prime and Netflix. But thanks for the reminder.

Mark-W likes this.
  20. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I love Fantastic Woman. Delighted she appears in in ToTC

Luke Kirby made me swoon. I can see why someone would confuse them, but my heart beats a bit faster when Kirby is on the screen.

As for the time warp on the show, I am wondering if they did this to make it both more economical to film, and, allow them to have additional seasons and not work about have to set them back in time.

I also want to cheer for Dede's return and her houseboy. They were so fun and added some joy.

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.