1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I am not sure that the issue of the demographics of the actors is that important vis a vis to their ability to play the roles.

In the original casting: Leonard Frey the actor was gay and Jewish and he is just perfect for the role, no question about it. On the other hand, Cliff Gorman was straight, and his version of Emory is terrific and very convincing, especially to people who don't know many gay people; his best work is during the truth game and drops his cloak of camp invincibility. Lawrence Luckinbill is straight and he fits the role of Hank very well, nice guy. The character of Alan is probably straight (or confused or something) I think, and actor Peter White was apparently straight. I am not sure anyone knows whether Reuben Green, who played Bernard, is/was gay or not. I love them all.

Actors should generally be selected for their ability to create the character I think.

SteveJKo, Will Krupp, Jimbo64 and 2 others like this.
  2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Cliff Gorman and his wife also took in Robert LaTourneaux when he was dying of AIDS.

And of all the people to try and distance themselves from it, why him?

3. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    [QUOTE="MatthewA, post: 4730051, member: 277925"
    And of all the people to try and distance themselves from it, why him?[/QUOTE]

Only because no one seems to know what his story is. As I said, I really liked all of these characters and respected the actors that brought them to life.

4. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Mark-W likes this.
  5. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Watched a great French gay movie called PLAIRE AIMER COURIR VITE (SORRY ANGEL). A touching love story that the French can do so well.

6. Message #2206 of 2234 May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I did finally get around to Special, and I enjoyed it and hope there will be more. The mother's "rebirth" was of less interest to me, but I understood why it had to be there.

My favorite was the episode where he engages the hustler (played by the adorable Brian Jordan Alvarez without his exaggerated, heavily-accented voice from Will & Grace). A really lovely episode.

Jason_V and JoelA like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I've been streaming Bonding on Netflix, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. It's another one of those quirky, intimate series with people struggling, not with their sexuality but with coping with life as young people trying to make a "living" in today's world. I'm not done with the season yet, but like Special, the episodes are pretty short and thus aren't padded to get it to 25 or 30 minutes.

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    In my queue, Matt, and I'm hoping to be able to binge a lot of stuff this weekend (gotta finish the new season of Nailed It! first, though).

One of the biggest problems with the network model is having to get episodes to a certain length. Sometimes that length is too long for the story and sometimes it's too short. With streaming, the episodes are made to fit the story. I appreciated that about Special: there isn't padding or side plots that don't advance the story. The same can be said about Discovery over on CBS All Access: there was a rather short, sub-40 minute episode...and then there was an hour-plus episode. And those were the right lengths for the stories each was trying to tell.

9. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    See, I had a different feeling in response to both SPECIAL and BONDING. I felt they could have been aired as movies but NetFlix realized that series are more popular and more likely to trend. It felt to me like they just sliced it into 15 minute pieces of pie (with all of the footage intact) so they could air them as a series. When you can binge an entire season in a little over 2 hours it sort of unfairly redefines what a TV series is.

I'm also not sure how I felt about BONDING. It was cute but really slight. SPECIAL, I thought, was better and more engaging, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to end it coming away with the feeling that the lead character is something of an asshole.

Thoughts?

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    In theory, I'm not going to argue that. Yes, what makes a TV show is being redefined, but that has happened since the beginning of television, hasn't it? I think there's more than enough room in the "TV" landscape for all kinds of formats, from the traditional broadcast to pay cable and streaming. The size (haha) of season orders has always been in flux as have the actually running time of shows. If we're gonna plant that flag of what "is" and "is not" a TV show, then we have to go back how many decades? I'm not interested in that since the evolution of TV is how we get innovation.

I have a problem with the "asshole" label. Yes, to us, people who have been out in the world and haven't had the challenges Ryan has dealt with, his actions and words are unkind and inappropriate. For him, in his situation, not so much. There's an emotional IQ he doesn't have-yet-which leads to how he interacts with everyone. I thought the same thing at various times in the season, but then took a step back and remembered I can't do that kind of comparison. It isn't fair.

11. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
  12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Fosse/Verdon on FX has been all over the map in terms of length, too. Tuesday night's show was in a 77-minute timeslot.

Jason_V likes this.
  13. Message #2213 of 2234 May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I guess what I actually mean is that it doesn't feel like an evolution. It feels like the whole season is a movie that's been salami sliced to make a series run. That, to me, feels cynical and regressive. TV HAS evolved over the years to be a much more personal (as opposed to a communal) experience with people basically curating their own entertainment. You run a series at your own pace so I'm not sure why you even need an artificial stopping point other than Netflix must have run the numbers and found it's easier to sell subscribers a "TV series" than it is to sell an "original movie."

I felt that way, as you did, throughout the show but, at the end (without spoiling it for anyone) I was feeling far less charitable towards him. Since Ryan O'Connell actually created the show, my only question is whether or not that feeling has been intentionally manufactured on his part. The show WAS engaging and I WILL watch season two, if only to see if that little asshole straightens himself out :P

We may need to agree to disagree on this one!

Jason_V likes this.
  14. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I think we're pretty much in the same place, Will. Most of the shows I watch are one hour dramas, so having a few 20-something minute sitcoms AND Special at 15-ish minutes per episode is good for me. I get what you're saying and it's valid. I just don't mind having that salami sliced up into smaller, more digestible pieces.

Will Krupp likes this.
  15. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer
    Supporter

usrunnr
    "Les Miserables" PBS. Josh O'Connor is Marius.

16. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Apologies if this has already been discussed on this thread....Anyway, since I first saw it, I've felt like the Genie character in the 1992 Aladdin could be interpreted as gay. The Genie's wonderful songs were of course co-written by the brilliant Howard Ashman, who in effect became part of the Genie's voice. Any thoughts?

Mark-W likes this.
  17. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I don't know if I've ever seen that interpretation, honestly. I don't think it's a wrong interpretation since we all bring a different viewpoint to entertainment. Aside from general and broad stereotypes, there's nothing I remember which screams gay to me.

I can get behind The Little Mermaid being an allegory for coming out or being an outcast. I can certainly see Beauty and the Beast being about HIV and AIDS (or any other illness, really...I specify HIV and AIDS because of "The Mob Song").

benbess and Mark-W like this.
  18. Message #2218 of 2234 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    The Genie's comment to Aladdin saying he is fond of him, but "Not that I wanna pick out curtains or anything," was considered a vaguely gay comment to the point that then Disney head Jeffrey Katzenberg asked openly gay Thomas Schumacher in Disney Animation if it might be considered homophobic for playing into a stereotype.

benbess likes this.
  19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I never really thought of Genie as gay. I guess I thought of him as more of a Bugs Bunny-type character who isn't afraid of a little acting or cross-dressing to make a point or get the one-up on someone.

MatthewA, Mark-W and benbess like this.
  20. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    And it is worth noting that they wrote the character for Robin Williams, who is the most gay-friendly, flamboyant, Bugs Bunny type person, minus Bugs' sometimes mean streak.

benbess likes this.