1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-W, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Exactly. This just feels superfluous. A videotaped stage production, especially when professional video cameras are much smaller and higher in resolution now than they were in 1970, and especially when videotaped theatre is being pumped into movie houses across the country on a regular basis for the benefit of people who might not otherwise be able to see it, might be less so.

There are other gay plays without pre-existing movie adaptations just waiting to be adapted for the first time.

2. Message #2182 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I don't REALLY care either way but I tend to agree with you that a filmed performance would be cool. The whole thing was done as a one-act that ran about an hour and 40 minutes so there WERE cuts to the original text but I couldn't really tell "what" was cut at the time.

Mark-W and Matt Hough like this.
  3. Message #2183 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    I disagree (surprise!!) because this is a once in a lifetime cast of g"A"y-listers, all of whom have agreed to sign on for the movie. Whether it's a filmed performance or an adapted version (which, less face it, makes sense as it will result in more eyeballs on it in my opinion) makes no difference (and is hardly superfluous) as it's a chance to commit these performances to film.

Few are as famous, though. There was buzz about the revival of the play which means there's a commercial interest in it. The fact that Murphy (whatever you may think about him) is using his clout to get this made for Netflix should be celebrated.

Mark-W, JoelA and Matt Hough like this.
  4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I think it's been mentioned here before (but I can't find it)...but I binged Netflix's "Special" over the weekend. Started when I was at the gym and finished at home. Short, 15-ish minute episodes about a gay man with CP figuring out life. I really appreciated everything it was trying to do and accomplished. Is it a bit "check box-y" for me? Yeah, but I think that's the worst thing I can say about the show. The last episode is excruciating to watch...I got all the feels (as the kids say these days).

ajabrams, JoelA and Will Krupp like this.
  5. Message #2185 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That it needed an insufferable, condescending hack like Ryan Murphy to get made at all should be mourned, not celebrated. As a gay man, I resent being pressured to support all things gay all the time, especially from someone whose work has ranged from underwhelming to flat-out annoying. I feel the same way about Rob Marshall, to be honest. And honestly, I don't like Jim Parsons. I do not find The Big Bang Theory funny, and that Kid Like Jake movie made me realize that Claire Danes is the reason My So-Called Life failed after all*. And keep in mind Ryan Murphy also produces Pose. That gives a whole new meaning to Harold's "you may someday be able to live a heterosexual life if you want it badly enough" comment to Michael at the end.** But that's why the piece still endures: even after everything that's changed, there are still gay men who go to extreme levels of self-denial.

They don't have movie versions. Exactly my point. How well would this show be remembered without the movie?

The movie is almost two hours. They must have lost a lot of stuff, the equivalent of a whole 35mm reel of film's worth.

*Ricky's so-called life was the only one anyone cared about. Disney is almost caught up to that point with Andi Mack.
    **See also: Soap's Jodie Dallas and Desperate Living's Mole McHenry. Gay men should not have to deny either our homosexuality or our manhood to find love, nor lesbians with womanhood.

6. Will Krupp

Will
    So mourn, then. He's making it and there's really nothing to be done about it, so have at it.

How well do you honestly think this is remembered outside of gay circles even WITH the movie?

JoelA likes this.
  7. Message #2187 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Except cancel Netflix and save my money to fund an all-gay all-Jewish re-remake. Except I'm not waiting 50 years. Leonard Frey IS Harold; as a gay Jew, casting a non-Jew in that role was and is a slap in the face, especially when they would never cast a non-black actor as Bernard. I will mourn for the gay plays as yet deprived of an adaptation, the gay actors deprived of work by dying of AIDS or killing themselves through various means, and the gay playwrights and directors whose great works we were deprived of for the same reasons. I will include in my vigil those from the original and still definitive cast — the real Boys in the Band — who are no longer with us. Thank God for Kino Lorber's Blu-ray, and thank God for physical media. Anything worth watching is worth putting out on disc.

Seriously, this show does not need another adaptation. Mame does. A Chorus Line does. Those are works of gay people that, unlike this show, actually were done a disservice by Hollywood. More than enough time has passed for a second try, and they deserve better than to have second-rate artistic charlatans and sellouts like Murphy and Marshall do even more damage. The ignorance of heterosexual audiences, some of whom won't watch anything gay whether it is well-made or poorly made, is no reason not to explore the gay theatrical canon beyond the basics. But even that is changing, and even then, those two shows had and still have name recognition because they were popular musicals that spawned hit songs. Even the 1970 Boys movie poster tagline had to say "it's not a musical" simply because the word "band" and the fact that it came out during the last gasp of Roadshow musicals may have made people think that.

8. Message #2188 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    Well, it' strikes me as a little melodramatic but to each his own

9. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    has anyone seen the movie of PASS on net flix? Costuming is great for the first 5 minutes or so.

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    It is in my queue, but I haven't pushed play yet. Is it worth a watch?

11. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer
    Supporter

usrunnr
    "The Pass". Doesn't show up on my Netflix when I searched for it.

12. Will Krupp

Will
    It didn't show up for me either under a title search but when I typed Russell Tovey's name in the search box it came up under his name.

13. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    The Pass was based on a London stage show that Russell starred in. It is a little constrained because of that, but worth a watch all the same. Russell and co-star keep their underwear on, I recall..

14. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer
    Supporter

usrunnr
    is it streaming only?

15. Will Krupp

Will
    Mark-W likes this.
  16. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    I binged watched Special last Sunday evening. So well done and to think that Ryan O'Connell has CP. An amazing talent. He's adorable. Highly recommended!

And I saw The Pass a while back and enjoyed it as well.

ajabrams and Will Krupp like this.
  17. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    When life gets back to something approaching normal, I'll be watching Special.

18. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Glad to hear that Ryan Murphy's Boys will be available to see. I wanted to fly to NYC last year to see it on Broadway, but couldn't make it.

The original version will probably remain my deeply-cut imprint of the play however. All of the actors really created their characters for me.

Will Krupp likes this.
  19. Message #2199 of 2206 Apr 18, 2019
    Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I purchased a region1 copy of The Pass a year ago.
    My guess is they pressed a bunch and then allowed it to go OOP.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Russell-Tovey/dp/B07BLHR52X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2AC6H8KF6YKXJ&keywords=the+pass+dvd&qid=1555627778&s=gateway&sprefix=the+pass+dvd,aps,184&sr=8-1
    The Pass and Mario are both films about men who make choices about careers in professional sports and their sexuality.

I thought The Pass was very good, but I regretted buying the DVD, as it does not have "rewatch factor" for me. There is too much anger for me to take in.

If anyone wants my used copy as a physical media collector, let me know.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Sometimes sadness can be beautiful. Sometimes anger and bitterness are justified. Pretending everything is okay when it really isn't is unhealthy. But only up to a point. Gay movies don't have to be all-camp all the time, but at least let a little light shine through the darkness.

rsmithjr likes this.