What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read his book, so I'm not frothing desperately to see this, but naturally will be interested to see it at some point. (Very much like Tab Hunter - Confidential; having read his autobiography, the movie was more an adjunct and not especially revelatory.)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

I'm thrilled that he finally felt comfortable enough to do so. He and his boyfriend partied with one of our fellow HTF members this past winter (and no, it wasn't me), so it wasn't as though he was hiding his sexuality from even virtual strangers he met in real life. It's nice, though, that he was able to get it off his chest in an "official" announcement. He seems, from all accounts, to be a total sweetheart. He can relax now. I wish him all the very best.

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Watched a brilliant lesbian film called SNAPSHOTS. True story about 3 females,Grandmother (played by Piper Laurie) her daughter and granddaughter and their many family secrets. Unmissable film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
According to that other Blu-ray site, Kino Lorber has announced The Killing of Sister George for Blu-ray on November 27, and they promise a 4K original camera negative scan and not one but two audio commentaries.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
According to that other Blu-ray site, Kino Lorber has announced The Killing of Sister George for Blu-ray on November 27, and they promise a 4K original camera negative scan and not one but two audio commentaries.

This is a very interesting and important part of the 60s gay films, especially those of British origin. It has been years since I saw it, looking forward to this Blu-ray. Thanks!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Truly the best lesbian film ever made. Stunning cast and it is also a very funny film. Beryl Reid was brilliant. Hard to believe that she also played the lead in HELLO DOLLY on the West End (London) stage. Long overdue on bluray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That was an early Anchor Bay release, and I don't think it even had anamorphic enhancement. This upgrade was long overdue.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I streamed Arizona Sky on Amazon Prime this afternoon. Very talky, and the actors seemed almost afraid to touch one another. I understood the reticence built into the story, but there should have been more sexual tension for the hands-off approach to work (for me, at least). I also didn't much buy that the teenaged versions of the characters grew up into the adults we see for most of the film, especially the character who remained behind in Arizona.

It wasn't in HD either, so there were lots of stair-stepping artifacts to contend with. Still, there were some lovely, personal moments.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Man in an Orange Shirt, on Masterpiece this Sunday, June 17. Written by Patrick Gale,

A bit of a thread de-rail here - but just to alert you to Patrick's new book, released this week, 'Take nothing with you'.
An excellent gay coming of age/family 'sturm und drang' drama (i.e. his usual stuff ;)) that I devoured yesterday.

Highly recommended.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I saw 'Tom of Finland' last night. I didn't think it was my kind of thing, and I was probably right, but for the wrong reasons. As a biopic it does a good job, although some of the time frame jumps are a bit distracting. There's only a few leather boys to be seen but plenty of inspiration. It is quite a serious and grey kind of story, despite its subject matter and importance to gay culture.

Overall I thought it quite tame. Even the Finnish postal service can titillate more with a set of stamps than this film....

Tom-of-Finland-stamps-001.jpg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Matt, You're quite the influencer here as I watched Lazy Eye yesterday, also. Enjoyed it. The southern Cali scenery and human scenery were both satisfying.
I liked Lazy Eye so much I ended up buying the DVD, as it has a director's commentary track and is promoted as being extended. The director mentions in the commentary that he added time to the sex scene, which ties up with the "What time is it?" comment by one of the characters. (I did not notice the difference since watching it via NetFlix. It might be longer, but I it did not seem more explicit.)
516xSaTlSIL.jpg

If you're a commentary track fan, particularly of ones that add enough information to enhance your appreciation of the film, I recommend the DVD of Lazy Eye, which you can buy at Amazon here.

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Mark-P,

I just wanted to say "Thanks!," for this suggestion. The Blu-ray was so cheap that it was a no-brainer to add to another order (I am not an Amazon Prime member.). At $10 and change, it was the price of a matinee to get the Blu-ray.
https://www.amazon.com/Nobodys-Watching-Blu-ray-Guillermo-Pfening/dp/B07BF681HG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1537646338&sr=1-2&keywords=nobody's+watching

nobody-s-watching-20171312.jpg

It reminded me of what independent cinema used to be back in the 1990s: It is a very specific story about someone trying to make it in America after being a star in another country with the overhang of same-sex relationship he was also running away from.

I thought it was really good and the characters, flaws and all, were really well formed and very interesting to watch.
At times I liked the lead character and other times he really irritated me, but it was all true to who he was as a complete, whole person, and not just a character designed to get me on their side.

I wish there were more films like this.

Thanks again.

I stumbled across this movie completely by accident. While it is available on Blu-ray (BD-R) it is also available as part of Amazon Prime streaming as well. While I personally liked it quite a bit, I hesitate to strongly recommend it due to that fact that I know it won't be to everyone's taste. It is a very low-key character study with not much plot but it explores a lot of current social issues, such as immigrant documentation status, and Hollywood typecasting practices. The main character's homosexuality is for the most part inconsequential to the storyline and the plot description barely even mentions it, but there are a few sex scenes to validate it as a gay movie.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hey Mark-P,

I just wanted to say "Thanks!," for this suggestion. The Blu-ray was so cheap that is was a no-brainer to add to another order (I am not an Amazon Prime member.). At $10 and change, it was the price of a matinee to get the Blu-ray.
https://www.amazon.com/Nobodys-Watching-Blu-ray-Guillermo-Pfening/dp/B07BF681HG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1537646338&sr=1-2&keywords=nobody's+watching

nobody-s-watching-20171312.jpg

It reminded me of what independent cinema used to be back in the 1990s: It is a very specific story about someone trying to make it in America after being a star in another country with the overhang of same-sex relationship he was also running away from.

I thought it was really good and the characters, flaws and all, were really well formed and very interesting to watch.
At times I liked the character and other times he really irritated me, but it was all true to who he was as a complete, whole person, and not just a character designed to get me on their side.

I wish there were more films like this.

Thanks again.

I'm happy to oblige. I only gave a soft recommendation because I know most people won't care for it. After having streamed it on Prime, I liked it well enough to buy the (very affordable) Blu-ray as well.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
We Americans are a sensitive lot and must be protected from the wanton nature of you Brits. I'm SO glad SOMEONE is looking out for us!

I've just finished watching all 3 series of 'Eastsiders', spurred on by some earlier comments in this forum. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure, but it has taken me a while to do as it didn't enthrall me enough to want to binge watch. The issue 'pulling me out of the moment' was the amount of underwear on show. Sometimes it 'magically appeared' back on after sex, or in the case of a late episode in series 3, 'Thelma and Louise', all 3 characters made a point of putting theirs back on after a threesome. I know it was done to allow the camera more freedom not to have to frame the characters 'above the waist', but please, in this day and age?

I'm reminded of the 'power laces' in Back to the Future. Power pants required that automatically leg it back up for the less wanton?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've just finished watching all 3 series of 'Eastsiders', spurred on by some earlier comments in this forum. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure, but it has taken me a while to do as it didn't enthrall me enough to want to binge watch. The issue 'pulling me out of the moment' was the amount of underwear on show. Sometimes it 'magically appeared' back on after sex, or in the case of a late episode in series 3, 'Thelma and Louise', all 3 characters made a point of putting theirs back on after a threesome. I know it was done to allow the camera more freedom not to have to frame the characters 'above the waist', but please, in this day and age?

I'm reminded of the 'power laces' in Back to the Future. Power pants required that automatically leg it back up for the less wanton?

You do have to just buy into what's happening and not think too much about the logistics of the show. I think there's another reason for the shots you mentioned: product placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks