What's new

Gauging the current market for selling a high end laserdisc player... (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I am debating whether I should sell off my laserdisc player, demodulator, and discs.

It is a Pioneer Elite CLD-99. I also, have a B&K DT-1 auto switching demodulator, and about 40 Discs.

I rarely ever use it, but I am having a hard time with the idea of parting with it. Mainly because I would have to replace many of the discs. Most of with are now available on DVD, except the Star Wars movies (I only have the THX versions) and, Casper (DTS). The other factor is I have a fear of shipping it. I don't have the original box or the shipping screw. I wouldn't want to ship this perfect working player to someone and not have it working when It gets there. It would be alot easier if I could sell it locally.

But, it seems like a waste keeping it around, since I don't use it.

Anyway, how easy/hard would it be to sell this. I would mainly like to sell it as a package. And, what would be the value of the whole package.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam.

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Adam,
Same player , same problem :frowning:
I`ve had my CLD-99 rebuilt , (at Pioneers cost , gee those guy`s at Pioneer are A-OK )
And I too have a ton of LD`s and I too mainly use my LD player to watch "Star Wars".
I even had a special cabinet made to store my LD`s .
And my box is gone too ! I don`t think that there was a shipping screw .
If you don`t sell , do you want more LD`s ? :b
Best of luck . O- I realy wanted an LD-S2 but Pioneer didn`t have one , :angry:
Gary ;)

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
LD players sell pretty well on Ebay. I'd check out some of the auctions there to guestimate the price range.

For example here is a CLD-D704 plus a demodulator and some disks selling for about $550 (the auction isn't over yet either). Your Elite 99 should fetch a bit more than a 704, but it's a start.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I would estimate that the CLD-99 should fetch $900+ all by it's lonesome. I'd sell the demod and discs separately - you'll take a loss if you include them in a package deal.

Does the 99 even have a shipping screw? My LD-S9 is simply an upgrated 99 and it doesn't have one. Came here all the way from Japan without a hitch. As for packing, you'll have to get clever. Search for a nice, sturdy box of adequate size, ideally with room for 3-4 inches (at least) of peanuts all around. And if you can double box it, even better.

Gary: I got me a Pioneer LD-S2, which I've had for a dozen years. Most solidly built player I've ever owned - still going strong (you'd of thunk that the laser, at least, would have given up by now).

greg_t

Screenwriter
I believe Alan is right, the 99 doesn't use a shipping screw. I have a 79, which is essentially a 99 with a lesser comb filter, and there is no shipping screw. My older Elite 52 did come with one. 99's having been selling for quite high prices on ebay. I've seen several go for over $900 recently.

Mike_Pal

Agent
I have a Pioneer CLD-D704 :), and lots and lots of laserdiscs....I was thinking the same thing recently....eBay......hmmmm....
but I love my Laserdiscs too much, and even though for some reason the prices you can get selling your old player lately on eBay have skyrocketed up (figure that out.... who would have thought almost a grand for an old, used , obsolete laserdisc player). Well, that makes me want to keep my player and discs even more. I love my laserdiscs.....kinda like my old records...I can never part with them either. Keep your laserdisc player. Keep buying old, used laserdiscs. They are still pretty cool in my opinion!! I wish I had your B&K DT-1 auto switching demodulator! Really cool!!!!
My two and a half cents.....;)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure why people feel a need to sell a LD for a buck or two and rebuy an older movie for ~$20 or so.
I bought 3 boxes of twilight zones for $60 -about 75 episodes or so. The seller got $30 or so; then they could apply that to buying a set on DVD for an additional $400 or so.
It's not like the DVDs have a 5.1 DTS-ES mix with superbit video.

Mike_Pal

Agent
;) Now you got me really thinking about this....don't sell your Laserdisc Player...
Funny, cause I have just been sitting around, re-doing my system, wanting to simplify, and been thinking a lot about my old laserdisc player...do I still need it? Is there room? Will I still use it?
but...
where would any of us be right now without first discovering the power of watching a movie on laserdisc, with a killer surround system....
No. 1. The Pioneer Elite CLD -99 is an awesome piece of equipment...
No. 2. It must still output a beautiful picture, and with your set-up, beautiful sound....
No. 3. Yeah, you will probably get a pretty good price right now for your set up, but I can tell this isn't about the money for you.....
No. 4. Laserdiscs are just too cool!!!
No. 5. You will be mad at yourself in the morning.....
No. 6. Don't dare put your player in the hands of UPS.....
No. 7. There are some movies out there that are better on laserdisc...(just my opinion...), and some that are only available on laserdisc......
No. 8. All of this stuff will be obsolete anyway someday....sooner than later I would guess.....
So, keep the player, it is too good to get rid of, a real collectors item, and you can amaze the youngsters some day....!!!!
Sorry, can't help it...I still love my Laserdisc player and my disc collection....and even still like to get an occasional disc to keep my player happy.....
Well, I'm no help.............sorry!!!!
my two and a half cents.........

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm still torn. If I decide to sell it, I would rather sell in the forums, before trying ebay. I would also try just locally first.

My biggest fear is the other person gets it and something is wrong and they want to send it back. Then I could be out the money and stuck with a player that is damaged. Thats why I would would try to sell it locally first.

Thanks,
Adam.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Adam, you should keep your CLD-99, me thinks. Maybe you should find a few more discs to spin? There's some really nice concert discs out there, old Academy Ratio films typically look pretty good on LD, there's stille a great many films on LD that haven't hit DVD yet (if ever?), so, there must be something worthwhile to use your 99 for, eh? If nothing else, it's a really decent CD player. There are few DVD players that can compete with the Elite 59/79/99 for CD playback IMO. Add to that, most DVD players don't hold up well being used as music players for hours on end. Best wishes from Laserland! :)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Currently eBay is the best place to sell the 99. I'm amazed at how much the 99 is currently going for. It has doubled the amount it usually goes for.

I have shipped a LD-S9 which is similar. As for packing it it's best to wrap it in 2-3 inches of bubble wrap. Then put it in a large box with peanuts enclosed in small plastic bags to create a "peanut pillows". You create peanut pillows because it causes less shifting in transit for extra protection then just filling the box with loose peanuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks