Gauging hard drive performance.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Is there an application out there that can tell me how efficiently data is being written/read from a hard drive?

The reason I ask is, I installed a second HD on my PC. It was free and I figured I would use the space to capture home videos and burn them to VCD's.

Anyway... the read/write seems slow... or at least I think it does. The video files I'm dealing with are 300 - 500 Mb on average.. so, they are pretty "unwieldy", however I wonder if they could/should be a little faster.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

There's always the standard of making sure that you have the necessary UDMA drivers installed for your chipset. The two most popular are from Intel and VIA, but you'd need to know exactly which set. Also, the UDMA settings need to be enabled in both your CMOS/BIOS and in the operating system.

As to tools to test throughput, the hard drive manufacturers usually have tools available to test the throughput of their hard drives. Check out the web site of your drive manufacturer. There are various third party tools around the Internet as well.

Also, try to make sure that the second hard drive is on the secondary IDE channel. Since IDE can only access one device per channel at a time, you should have boot drive + CD-ROM on one channel and secondary hard drive on the secondary channel. It won't be a major speed improvement, but it will help. Making sure that UDMA is turned on is the big one, though. My one system only does about 7 MB/sec without UDMA, but after the drivers are installed and configured it then transfers at about 32 MB/sec.

And of course make sure that you defragment often, clean out unwanted files, blah blah blah...

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

HDTach is very useful. It showed that my IBM drive was performing better than my Maxtor, so I made the IBM my primary.

As for actual permormance I read that real world performance is 6-8mb/sec for any type of DMA connection. SCSI is closer to 12-16mb/sec. Burst transfers may be go higher but it's just for an instance.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer