Gauge+length= ?loss?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike F, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Mike F

Mike F Extra

Jan 16, 2004
    Ok I'm getting a about 10db loss on my surrounds compared to the mains .
    They are the same speakers, I'm using all stereo mode
    however the length of 16 gauge wire is about 35' compared to 8' for the mains same gauge.
    Can that length result in a close to 10 db loss?
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I would not expect a 10dB loss over that length, but you are right at the edge of length for 16ga wire, and it is even worse if they are less than 8 Ohm.

You need to list all your gear, probably how it is all connected, to get more help.
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    First - is your seating distance to the rear speakers EXACTLY the same as to your rears?

Second - are your rear speakers pointed exactly at the listening position like the fronts?

Third - your "stereo mode" - are you sure it tries to make the rear speakers as loud as the fronts? Usually the rear soundfield is reduced compared to the fronts.

Try this:

- Put your SPL meter 1 foot in front of one of your front speakers pointing directly at the speaker.

- Use Test-Tones to get the front speaker to produce 75 db

- Plug one of the rear speakers into that front-speaker jack

- Put the SPL meter 1 foot in front of the rear speaker pointing directly at the speaker.

- Measure the volume

Now the only difference between the front and rear volume should be the wire. How much difference do you measure?