What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony brings writer-director Andrew Niccol’s underappreciated 1997 science fiction drama Gattaca to 4k UHD Blu-ray in a stunning new transfer.

Gattaca (1997)

Released: 24 Oct 1997
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 106 min

Director: Andrew Niccol
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Cast: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Gore Vidal, Xander Berkeley
Writer(s): Andrew Niccol

Plot: A genetically inferior man assumes the identity of a superior one in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 64

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching my copy. I was a huge fan of this film when it came out, and nice to see that 20+ years later, I still am. A fantastic story, great acting (this was my first time seeing Jude Law onscreen), wonderful cinematography, a deft direction.

I need to put this in my rotation of films I revisit regularly.

I never saved anything for the swim back...

Indeed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The availability of this 4K disc release is so scarce that Amazon has a new release date of June 15th for it.:laugh: Best Buy seems to have it in-stock, but DD has it backordered too. Edit: I guess this review is of the Steelbook 4K release and this new June 15th preorder is of a non-Steelbook 4K disc release.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
File under "I'm old".

So I have a crew of fairly young staff who were newly hired in the last 2-3 years, straight from graduating college. They know me as the guy who knows about "old films" (meaning, you know, anything not made in the 00s). So after viewing my copy, I texted them that they should put Gattaca on their list, thinking they likely hadn't seen it.

Three of them responded "oh yeah, we've seen it, great film...they made us watch it in high school."

Is that what high school is like now? Let's watch Gattaca? I had to read All Quiet on the Western Front! :laugh:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
File under "I'm old".

So I have a crew of fairly young staff who were newly hired in the last 2-3 years, straight from graduating college. They know me as the guy who knows about "old films" (meaning, you know, anything not made in the 00s). So after viewing my copy, I texted them that they should put Gattaca on their list, thinking they likely hadn't seen it.

Three of them responded "oh yeah, we've seen it, great film...they made us watch it in high school."

Is that what high school is like now? Let's watch Gattaca? I had to read All Quiet on the Western Front! :laugh:

The closest parallel to this might be when I had to read 1984 and Brave New World in junior high school for english class. (1984 and Brave New World were mandatory books during that year).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just noticed that my Movies Anywhere code redeemed in 4K on MA, Vudu, FandangoNow, and iTunes, but HD on Prime Video despite the fact that the movie IS available in UHD on Prime Video. Amazon is giving me the usual run around that I didn't purchase it in 4K, I purchased in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88