Gattaca On DVD Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Pakula, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

There is 2 versions of Gattaca on DVD. Im not sure which one to get.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?.
    Which is the better version?.

-Mike

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

One's the Superbit version. It has better video quality.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    One's the regular version. It has better supplements.

- Steve

4. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Actually, and I'm going on memory here, I don't own it, so I can be corrected if I'm wrong, but Gattaca was one of the first batch of Superbits, and like several of them, (Air Force One, Dracula, Johnny Mnuemonic, and even Fifth Element) were rereleases of movies that were fairly bare bones to begin with. So I really don't think that the non-Superbit version has enough supplements to even mention.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

An excellent movie. The supplements on the non-Superbit version are not very numerous but are very interesting. I own both. The Superbit version probably has better pic/sound but the pic/sound ont he old disc is no slouch.

6. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

The non-Superbit has deleted scenes, which frankly I always find nifty.

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Go with the standard release, excellent audio/video quality, and some interesting deleted scenes, plus a little featurette. And it's like $8-$9 cheaper.

Unless you're hog-wild about DTS or something, the 'standard' DVD is the better deal. I believe it's getting another price drop too.

8. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I had the same dilemma. I ended up going with the standard release. LukeB summed up the reasons very well. The deleted scenes are pretty interesting. They also include a pretty funny gag from Xander Berkeley.

Gattaca is one of the best films of the 90s (second only to L.A. Confidential in 1997). Either way, you can't lose.

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Too bad Sony can't do a "2-disc SE" like all the other studios to get "super bit" bit-rates for the feature film and provide extras at the same time...

Seems pretty STUPID to make a movie fan have to choose between great special features of maximum picture/sound quality. That's like saying to a parent "ok, which of your 2 children would you like to keep".

It COULD be a WIN-WIN for consumers with a 2-disc approach.

GRRRRR.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The standard edition includes an alternate ending/coda that really puts things in perspective. As I watched the Superbit edition (last week, actually) I found that I really missed not having that alternate ending.

But since I have both the Superbit and the Standard editions on DVD, I guess it can be said that I have the 2-disc Superbit edition--with a full-frame version of the movie to boot! [​IMG]

- Steve

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Agreed on the deleted scenes and ESPECIALLY the alternate ending on the original DVD (in that I really like them). Sure the original isn't chock full of fluff pieces and EPKs, but what is on there is interesting enough for me as a very big fan of the movie.

This is one where I did double dip, and did NOT hand down the old disc to my parents and/or sister.