What's new

Gateway 46 ED Plasma (1 Viewer)

Kyle*

Auditioning
Considering the price, the Gateway 46" ED Plasma seems like a legit option to our HT needs compared to a 50" Panasonic. Nearest couch is 13 feet from the screen. What is your opinion?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Is it really only enhanced definition?

I went and tried to get the statistics, it does not even mention the different resolutions that is supports.

Does it take 1080i? 720p?

I dunno, if it really is only ED and HDTV, I don't think it is a very good deal at all.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

typically, the ED sets can display an HD signal without any problems. Just on the 854 x 480 panels that they use.

regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for clearing that up some....

Their website, does not list any supported resolutions at all.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Another question to consider is how much longer do you think Gateway might remain in business? I know that they don't manufacture their own displays, but would the OEM stand behind them in the future?

Mort

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I know that the Gateway 42" is generally regarded as one of the poorest plasmas. Not sure about the 46" - I think this is similiar to the Vizio P4 46" based plasma. The 46" glass for all of the 46" models is made by one manufacturer, but the electronics vary from company to company.

As always, I recommend the www.avsforum.com plasma forum for a large userbase of plasma owners to ask. I did find one thread despite their search function being down right now: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346478

I think you would be better off with the Panny 50" or even the Pioneer 43" or 50" rather that getting the Gateway model. The Gateway 42" has a lot of negative opinions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks