gateway 42" plasma?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Philip_G, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

gateway has some financing deals that are too good to pass up on their 42" plasma. I currently have a mitsu 45" RPTV that I'm looking at having to move from another state and up 3 flights of stairs.

Key Features
    Diagonal 42-inch Screen Size
    16:9 Wide Aspect Ratio
    852 x 480 native pixel with progressive scan
    550:1 Contrast Ratio
    550 cd/m2 Brightness
    Integrated NTSC Tuner and Speakers
    HDTV Signal Compatible
    160 Degree viewing angle

it says HDTV compatible, so it's true HDTV? or is it 480p?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That answers your question: This highly publicized plasma panel is not capable of displaying HDTV; it downconverts 1080i and 720p to 480p (which is what the manufacturer means when it misleadingly says the unit is "HDTV-compatible").

Further, this unit has only earned lukewarm reviews in the A/V press. Don't be too swept up by the "sexiness" of thin-panel displays. Any ATSC-based RPTV by a reputable manufacturer will outperform this plasma panel.

3. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Granting that none of the "EDTV" 850 x 480 plasmas can display HDTV resolution (and NO existing plasma has 1080 rez anyway), I've seen many reviews from people who say that they can tell very little difference between the 42" 480 panels and the 720/768 panels, unless they get much closer than typical viewing distances. (To be honest I was a little surprised by this; although it's received wisdom enough people with fairly discerning eyes have reported this that I find it credible.) But that doesn't necessarily mean the Gateway is worth the bucks... the Panasonic 42" ED plasma for a few hundred more is getting MUCH better reviews for its PQ, esp. black level & contrast.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Go to www.ecoustics.com they have some reviews on it. This week Best Buy also has a 42" one on sale for $2,899.99 with no advertised brand name & it may be the same as the Gateway but at least it should give you a good idea of the picture quality of the Gateway. Myself, I would probably go with the new Sony 34" widescreen KV34HS510 that Best Buy has advertised this week for $1,999.99 you might also want to check that out if you go to Best buy.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

34" just isn't quite big enough, I'll check out the 42" at broken buy, but it sounds like I'm stuck with my crappy old mitsubishi for now.
    did I mention I HATE RPTV's? oh well, for 3 grand I could maybe get a used projector and be happy.

thanks for the info, that was what I was afraid of hearing about it. I found another thread complaining about the black level.

6. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Phillip
    Check out soundtrack, you can get an edtv samsung for 3k or a zenith 3.5k, with great financing options

7. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

A pretty good projector can definitely be had at the $3k level, but it really depends on what you're looking for. The projector won't be useful in a lighted room, so if you go that route a regular TV might need to also be incorporated. That's what I did -- put up a manual pulldown screen that drops just in front of the TV for projector viewing at night, but most daytime viewing is on a 36" direct view CRT. One day we'll have 100" TVs that roll up when not in use, but for now everything is a compromise in some way!