Gateway 42" Plasma < $3k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hal_J, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

gateway announced a sub-$3k 42" plasma screen. anybody know who is making it, what the details are, or any of that?
    from cnet...
    ------------------------------------
    As reported earlier, Gateway will begin to sell a branded 42-inch screen plasma TV for just under $3,000, according to sources close to the company, hundreds below the price of competing models. In September, the average selling price of plasma TVs in the United States was $6,328, according to Tom Edwards, senior analyst at research firm NPD Intelect.
    -----------------------------------
    link: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-964156.html?tag=cd_mh
    -----------------------------------

2. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

It is made by LG electronics.
    16:9
    Contrast ratio 600:1
    Viewing angle 160 degrees
    3:2 pull down
    3d comb filter
    Dual HD component Video inputs
    PIP/POP
    Digital zoom modes
    Selectable Fixed/ Variable audio outputs
    Bass extension circuitry/ sub out
    RGB, DVI input, RS-232 RGB output
    NTSC RF antenna 1, Composite Video 1, component video 2, audionin L/R 6, audio output L/R 1, Subwoofer 1,
    supports up to 1280 X 1024 SXGA
    Native pixel format 852 X 480
    Colors 16.77 Million
    Any other questions, let me know!

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

It's an LG technically but it is actually a Sampo.

4. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Eric is right on

5. Steve Kinkead

Steve Kinkead Auditioning

The native resolution seems low for displaying HD. How does the Gateway resolution compare with other 42" plasma TVs?

Has anyone seen this unit in action?

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The vast majority of 42" plasma's are that resolution. Only the ALiS ones are 1024x1024 (interlaced, and extremely poor quality), and the Panasonic PT-42PHD4-P (1024x768, perhaps the best 42" plasma available).

7. EricHaas

There are two other 42" plasmas that are 1024x768. The Pioneer 433cmx and the NEC MP4.

Surprisingly, some of the lower res. plasmas look very good in HD, especially the Panasonic.

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Pioneer is a 43". I definitely forgot about that NEC though. [​IMG]

9. Steve Kinkead

Steve Kinkead Auditioning

Here is a qualitative comparison of the
    • Sampo PME-42S6
    • Panasonic TH-42PHD5UY
    • Pioneer PDP-433CMX
    • NEC 42MP4
    • LG 42PZ158
    PLASMA TV / DISPLAY SHOOTOUT September 2002
    Assuming Eric is correct about the Gateway being a Sampo...
    It's weak points included motion artifacts, stretch modes, and a noisy power supply during bright scenes. Strengths included color saturation, brightness, and aesthetics.
    A quick search found several web sites selling the Sampo for around $3200.

10. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

11. EricHaas

This plasma offers a lot for the money, particularly with the speakers, stand, built-in amp, and tuner with PiP. However, it should be noted that the Sampo it is made from and a Daewoo model (possibly made from the same Sampo) have been selling at Costco for $3K for many months now. Unless this panel actually streets for under $3K online, this isn't really big news, at least not for those of us with access to Costco. Also, although the PQ is better than Sampo's previous generation panel (see for example the CNET review on that unit), it isn't the match of the top tier Japanese brands. Videophiles will definitely want the Panny WD5U model which goes for $3600 shipped right now.

This is a very good solution for J6P who will use it for cable, and whose wife wants a panel TV. Particularly since it is more plug and play than most. Good for making the plasma market more mainstream.

12. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

The screen is made by LG and the electronics are made by Sampo.

It is not a re-branded model of an existing Sampo or LG.

In all reviews I've read, Panasonic always takes it. They're contrast features and "true blacks" have everyone else beat right now. (around this price range)

For what you get for the price, the Gateway can't be touched right now...Tuner, DVI, RGB, Component, Composite, Stand, etc.

Costco's Sampo/Daewoo is inferior quality and does not come with the tuner ($200) which incidentally does not have as many types of inputs.

Most plasmas have the same resolution as the Gateway right now.

True, the native resolution is not "HD" it is "ED" which in many applications right now will look better than a higher resolution HD model--Explanation: if the incoming signal is not the same exact resolution as the display (plasma and lcd are "fixed resolution", crt is "variable resolution") then the electronics either have to upscale or downscale the incoming signal to match its display. Most signals we have available are not "HD" (720p or 1080i) even progressive scan is "only" 480p. As a result your "inferior" signal will be blown up to fit the higher resolution of the HD monitor, unfortunately the flaws in the signal are also emphasized greatly. With "ED" these effects are less dramatic, thus producing a seemingly smoother picture. CRT's by comparison just fill-in the picture with whatever signal is incoming and do not require any scaling.

Hope that made sense.

Gateway is slated to release two HD plasmas early next year...a 42" and a 50". Price is not yet known.

Most importantly, these should create the higher-end brands to realize they're going to have to cut prices or cut profits. Gotta love competition, it drives our prices down.

Now if I could just convince myself to get one.

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I just pulled the trigger on the purchase of one of these units. Est. delivery is Dec. 6. I'll post my impressions once it is delivered, hooked up and calibrated.
    Edit: I cancelled this order.
    Rob

14. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

The huge underlying news is that Gateway is diversifying their products to include home entertainment. Do Dell and HP (the pc market leaders) sell and promote rebadged plasma screens targeted at the home entertainment market? Nope. It could go one of two ways: failure or massive revenues. (I think it'll bomb just Gatway is selling Bose packages too ! [​IMG])

15. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

True, it's Gateways' new strategy to regain lost market share. They figure by hooking you with a good price on decent equipment they'll win you over.

This should work well for the average consumer. Us more discerning customers will usually go another route.

Dell offers plasmas as business monitors...good prices and they carry panasonic. Different strategy, go with an established brand, but also a different market altogether.

Good luck to Gateway and as I said before, we all owe them a thanks for lighting a fire under the major brands' price wars.