Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose Q, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

As I received and watched my Gatchaman DVD recently, I was wondering what is the deal with the Battle of the Planets DVDs that are being released this October by Rhino.
    Are there any supplements? are these unedited versions? how many volumes are we getting? anyone aware of what type of video/audio quality will we be getting? Since this is Rhino we are talking about, I am a bit concerned. Their Transformers: The Movie was a decent release but G.I. Joe was a subpar DVD.
    I loved G-Force/Battle of the Planets as I was growing up. Especially the fact that it was one of the few cartoons where there was all-out action and there was concecuences to it (aka. people died). The costumes in Gatchaman are a lot cooler than BoP, but I enjoyed the Battle of the Planets characterization much better.
    Any info on this?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

These 2 disc you are talking about are the 2 upcoming Battle of the Planets discs, right?
    I am still a bit confused on what you said. Man, and thought the whole Robotech thing was a mess....

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, Battle of the Planets. Remember, both Battle of the Planets and G-Force by their very nature are edited from the original Japanese episodes.
    Here's the timeline in a nutshell:
    Sandy Frank buys the rights to Science Ninja Team Gatchaman blind. Discovers the series is much too violent for network censors, and proceeds to butcher show, including the insertion of newly animated footage of pointless and stupid robot 7 Zark 7, which was obviously not even done by the same animation crew
    Sandy's rights expire, and Turner buys it, redubs it, butchers it less and calls it G-Force
    Saban buys the rights to Gatchaman series 2, calls it Eagle Riders, proceeds to butcher
    Thankfully Gatchaman 3 has yet to be destroyed
    One Rhino disc will include an episode of G-Force as an extra, presumably the equivalent of one of the episodes that is on that disc
    The other will contain and episode of Gatchaman, subtitled. Presumably again, a counterpart of one of the BOTP eps
    [Edited last by Jeff Kleist on September 04, 2001 at 08:52 PM]