Gasoline smell in car

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Watson, Nov 29, 2004.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

In recent months we have ocassionally smelled gas for a few moments at a time. It dissipates quite soon.

My dealership looked at the car recently, test drove it for a few kilometers, and couldn't duplicate the problem [​IMG]. I was told the mechanic checked the system (visually I expect) for leaks.

We're starting to think that it occurs for a few seconds upon starting the car, after it has been stopped for a half hour or so. Someone said the wet cool weather of autumn might have a bearing on this.

Anyone any ideas or experience with this?

TIA!

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

under what conditions does it happen? also what kind of car, helps to know the engine design, are you the only one who smells it? you may be super sensitive.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I've got a '95 V6 mustang, and this has just started happening to me too. I just had the heater core replaced...maybe they didn't reconnect something, or didn't do it securely. I need to take my car back.

When it happens to me, I'll be driving and after five minutes or so I get a blast of gas-smell....then it goes away but comes back....and comes and goes.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

This one's a 99 Altima.

My wife noticed it more than I did, but since she drew my attention to it, I have experienced it.

It doesn't last long, and I assume it's not dangerous.

It is definitely not just after a fill-up [​IMG]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Is the smell stronger in the trunk?

sometimes the clamps around the filler tube can get loose and that might allow some fumes into the trunk and into the passenger compartment.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    On a similar note, it's quite interesting that the fuel filter on my old E36 328i is immediately under the US driver side rear passenger seatbench. Had thoughts of putting a no smoking sign on the back of the driver seat... [​IMG]

To get to it, you need no tools other than to reach back there and yank on the bench. It simple slides out and then you'll need a philips head I think to remove three screws and the filter and power to the pump are right there. I imagine it would be an easy and inexpensive way to improve your security if you ever left your car for a long time. Just keep a philips screwdriver and disconnect the +12v going to the fuel pump or better yet, install a hidden switch in the back of the car that will turn power on/off to the pump. Cheap, effective, and unique, (relatively).

Jay

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the germans sure love to hide crap under the backseat, the battery is under the bench in meine audi.

The altima filter is under the hood, against the firewall though. Owned a 98 altima for 5 years, not once did it see a mechanic. Pretty solid cars.

8. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

John Watson wrote:

Yes, it can be dangerous. Gasoline vapors ignite quicker than gasoline in fluid form. Under the right conditions, you'll have a "flash fire," not an explosion.

Sources that can cause a "flash fire" inside a car is the electric fan motor, speakers, and static electricity from rubbing against cloth seats.

Also gas vapors can make you pass out if you inhale enough of it. Roll down your windows and air out the car before turning on any electrical items. You should inspect everything and find out wants going on. Gas tank, gas lines, and the engine.

9. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for all the tips guys. I wonder, would this filter, if it's under the hood, hold fumes after the car is stopped?Today my wife was using the car on a short trip, parked it for about 30 minutes and came back to find the cab full of the smell, BEFORE she started it. [​IMG]

Naturally, it's one of these power window cars, that we can't operate the window until the engine is on [​IMG]. Looks like we'll be returning to the dealer as soon as possible. Thanks for the info Evelio.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Does it start OK after sitting for a short while? Like this 30 minute trip, or does it run a little rough or take longer to start than normal?

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I don't think it sounds any rougher or is difficult to start Philip.

But I'll be checking our your tip about the trunk tomorrow.

We're into early winter weather here, with an average of few degrees above freezing in the daytime, and a few degrees below at night, but we have had a lot of rain in recent weeks.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

reason I ask is the O-rings around the fuel injectors could be leaking a tad. They're cheap if you're handy and not too hard to replace yourself.

13. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Pursue this matter further because it can be very dangerous. If you have to leave the car w/ a trusted mechanic over a few days, do it. The only warning you may get is a flash fire. Gas fumes are extremely dangerous.