What's new

Gasoline: How Long Can You Store It? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
How long can you keep gasoline in a plastic container in the garage during the summer months before it's no longer useable?

What happens to your car engine or lawn mower if you use it when it's too old?

Jay Taylor

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I recently used gasoline in my lawn mower and trimmer that's been in my garage since last summer and it worked just fine.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
The main culprit for gasoline shelf life is oxidation, which causes the compounds in the gasoline to solidify into a gum that doesn't burn with the rest of the gasoline. This gumming clogs the carborator and makes the engine less efficient.

Most folks seem to recommend no longer than 30 days for optimum results. However you can extend this life by making certain the container is topped off (as little air as possible) and in a cool place (gasoline oxidizes faster in warmer conditions).

Why does fuel quality deteriorate over time

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thanks Danny & Steve.

I've read about preservatives that you can add to gasoline to keep it fresh for 6-12 months. That made me wonder how long it would last without a preservative.

I guess we could always unload the old stuff into our neighbors' BMWs! :D

Jay Taylor

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Actually this thread speaks to a question I have--how can one (legally) dispose of old gasoline? I have about a gallon or so leftover from last season that I need to get rid of. I wonder if gas stations take back old gas? I imagine if anyone would have a way to store or get rid of cruddy gas they would...

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I know the answer to your question, but I don't have time to explain. The short answer is no longer than 4 months. Funny thing is that although it won't run in your mower, it will still burn in your car just fine after 9 months.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

Dave,

Your question made me curious. I found this link from the EPA suggesting how to recondition gasoline.

Recondition Gasoline

You pour it through a cloth filter into another container, then mix it 1 part old to 5 parts new gasoline.

I've never heard of such a thing but it makes sense that the cloth filter would remove the gummy and solid portion of the old gasoline.

Jay Taylor

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You pour it through a cloth filter into another container, then mix it 1 part old to 5 parts new gasoline.

I've never heard of such a thing but it makes sense that the cloth filter would remove the gummy and solid portion of the old gasoline.
Mmmm, sounds safe!

I have an interest in this thread because I've got an RV that's been sitting for close to 2 years now. It's got some 20 gallons of gas left in the tank. I've no idea what to do with it; it will be a couple of years before I'll have time to restore it. Engine runs just fine, I suppose I could start it and let it run for several days, but that doesn't seem like an ideal solution.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
As long as it's not all "funky looking," just use it. Mowers will eat all sorts of stuff- just don't get any dirt in there. I pay no never mind to what gas goes into my cheap mower ($139 Navy Exchange Murray special), and I'm on my 10th season with no issues, other than the normal "my mower is getting old" problems. It seems to be burning a bit of oil now, but hey, the carb still works fine.:)
If you have REALLY old gas (that still looks OK), run it through your car a gallon at a time, per fillup. It's essentially the same as reconditioning above. I recently did this with some OLD (several years) gas that I got in a tank that I took the fuel sending unit out of. I could tell the car was not running optimum, but it ran through, and back to normal on the next fillup.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks