Gasoline: How Long Can You Store It?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay Taylor, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

How long can you keep gasoline in a plastic container in the garage during the summer months before it's no longer useable?

What happens to your car engine or lawn mower if you use it when it's too old?

Jay Taylor

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I recently used gasoline in my lawn mower and trimmer that's been in my garage since last summer and it worked just fine.

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The main culprit for gasoline shelf life is oxidation, which causes the compounds in the gasoline to solidify into a gum that doesn't burn with the rest of the gasoline. This gumming clogs the carborator and makes the engine less efficient.

Most folks seem to recommend no longer than 30 days for optimum results. However you can extend this life by making certain the container is topped off (as little air as possible) and in a cool place (gasoline oxidizes faster in warmer conditions).

Why does fuel quality deteriorate over time

4. Jay Taylor

Thanks Danny & Steve.

I've read about preservatives that you can add to gasoline to keep it fresh for 6-12 months. That made me wonder how long it would last without a preservative.

I guess we could always unload the old stuff into our neighbors' BMWs! [​IMG]

Jay Taylor

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Actually this thread speaks to a question I have--how can one (legally) dispose of old gasoline? I have about a gallon or so leftover from last season that I need to get rid of. I wonder if gas stations take back old gas? I imagine if anyone would have a way to store or get rid of cruddy gas they would...

6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I know the answer to your question, but I don't have time to explain. The short answer is no longer than 4 months. Funny thing is that although it won't run in your mower, it will still burn in your car just fine after 9 months.

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

9. Jay Taylor

Dave,

Your question made me curious. I found this link from the EPA suggesting how to recondition gasoline.

Recondition Gasoline

You pour it through a cloth filter into another container, then mix it 1 part old to 5 parts new gasoline.

I've never heard of such a thing but it makes sense that the cloth filter would remove the gummy and solid portion of the old gasoline.

Jay Taylor

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

11. Jay Taylor

The EPA doesn't care if you spontaneously combust as long as you don't pollute the atmosphere while doing so.

Jay Taylor

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

As long as it's not all "funky looking," just use it. Mowers will eat all sorts of stuff- just don't get any dirt in there. I pay no never mind to what gas goes into my cheap mower ($139 Navy Exchange Murray special), and I'm on my 10th season with no issues, other than the normal "my mower is getting old" problems. It seems to be burning a bit of oil now, but hey, the carb still works fine.[​IMG]
    If you have REALLY old gas (that still looks OK), run it through your car a gallon at a time, per fillup. It's essentially the same as reconditioning above. I recently did this with some OLD (several years) gas that I got in a tank that I took the fuel sending unit out of. I could tell the car was not running optimum, but it ran through, and back to normal on the next fillup.

Todd