What's new

Gas prices go below $1.00 (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hell, $1.50, wasn't it sitting around $1 in the mid-80's? Seems like I used to be bummed when it would hit $1 since as a teen I didn't have the gas cash I do now, back when we'd count change up to put in just a couple of gallons.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
$2.19 here, ~$40 to fill her up at the begining of the week, lasts till Thurday, perhaps Friday if I'm lucky :thumbsdown:
This is one evil thread.
--
H

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Think about this:

Since about 1940's to about the mid 1990's gas rose from an average of about $0.40 to $1.00 in the late 90's. A difference of about $0.60 And since 1998 when it was about $1.00, it has risen to over $2.00. I am no expert but, it has risen exponentionally here in the last 6 years. So gas went 50 years and only rose about $0.60. And in the last 6 years it has risen more than $1.00.

On this track, I will be riding my bike in 10 years or buying that electric car.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This whole gas situatioon has really validated my decision to live near work. I work in a college town so rent is higher than most places [further away] where other staff live. However, even though I pay about $150 more in rent, I now fill up 3 less times a month (~$100 with today's gas prices), and a monthly parking pass to campus is $54. So basically it's a wash monetarily, and I no longer have to deal with my mental health from gridlock and insane drivers, since I walk to and from work.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Hell, it doesn't seem all that long ago... maybe 1999... that I was buying gas for 79 cents per gallon in Ann Arbor, MI.

Seriously... Has THAT MUCH changes since then that the prices have more than tripled? If someone told me that we were actually running out of our world petroleum supply, maybe I could understand it...

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Cruel bringing this thread back to life...I read the first couple posts with total confusion until I looked at the original posting date!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If someone told me that we were actually running out of our world petroleum supply, maybe I could understand it.
Um..... We are. Google "Peak Oil" or just search here in After Hours for the long thread on "oil refineries". And nobody should post here for at least a year now!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Um..... We are. Google "Peak Oil" or just search here in After Hours for the long thread on "oil refineries".

Um, we don't know. That's just a theory.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
They told us 30 years ago we were running out. Guess what we were not, but it sure made everyone run out for a tank of gas. I remember the shortage of the mid 70s well, long lines and all, and i was only a teen. I dont buy the story this time. Good reason to say thats why we pay $2.50 a gal. now. I think the real reason is cause we WILL buy it for our Navigators and Hummers. Glad i drive a dorky Saturn now. :)

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
I understand that there is a constantly diminishing supply of oil, but I doubt that we are quite so direfully close to that end as some would think. We in the states are finally getting the screw the way much (but not all) of the rest of the world has been getting for some time now. The price for a barrel may be at an all time high, but the refineries are the ones milking that for everything that it's worth.

As for news reports, I doubt the capacity of the reserves and the overall consumption of oil have changed so much as to make the price of gas skyrocket in the last 10 months as it has. Might have a bit more to do with greed and politics...

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Ah, good old Peak Oil.

Canada has more oil than Saudi Arabia in the oilsands. The NYT article is very wrong about the break even amount for oilsand extraction - it's only about $12 now.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No need to invade, invite Bryan Adams over for a new Mtv Unplugged show and hold him hostage! If they protest we can allow them to open franchises of their delicious Tim Hortons restaurants in our country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks