What's new

Gas (LP) Water Heater Problem (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Tried a search on this subject and failed to find anything useful. I'm at a friends's house so I don't have access to my many books of "do it yourself."
So, there are alway several experts on everything at the HTF! :)

I've got no hot water here.

The pilot light is lit. The water is on. The temp. setting is on HOT. That's it. The big flame is not happening.

Help!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Decided to replace it, it needs parts and It's too old to put a cent into.

So, wanna recommend a brand?

Rheem, GE, etc.....

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
water heater is a water heater IMO. Get whatever HD has cheap.

BTW it's probably the thermostat in the old one. Could be a gas valve too I guess. Probably best to replace it.
Look at a tankless, they're a lot more but might pay for itself. Just make sure it vents through regular B vent and not a special vent pipe if you consider one.

LP and NG are usually the same unit, they just need different orafices, just a cheap kit ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks for the "tankless" idea Philip. They seem to be the future, I just wasn't ready for the future this week.
Went from a 30 to a 40 gallon model but got one very close in size to the old one so I could do the job easily myself.
Nice to be able to take a warm shower again.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a 40g NG and it's not large enough, as soon as the tankless becomes a little less expensive I might jump on one. Also, I need to have enough water flow to take 2 showers at once, many can't, some can. I think mostly all they use in europe are tankless heaters, at least from what I saw.

Check for LP leaks if you haven't already, a little soapy water around the joints will do this, hopefully you used pipe dope on the gas lines.
Propane will settle in the low points in the basement or garage, dangerous stuff.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Oh yes, that was the first thing I did. It was a good installation or I wouldn't have hesitated to call in a pro.
Really don't like gas appliances myself, I switched to all electric at my house years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks