Gas Furnace Maintenance?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Szott, May 16, 2005.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I think we need to get our gas furnace (central heating) looked at/cleaned, can anyone give me any tips on what needs to be done and doesn't need to be done? We've been in this house for 4 years and I haven't had it cleaned yet (changed the filters regularly, but didn't know the rest needed cleaning regularly.)

What is involved with a furnace cleaning and how much do they cost? I mostly want to be aware of what is wheat and what is chaff before the service people arrive. For example, every garage door repairman I've ever used tries to convince my my rollers are bad, but I've yet to have one go out on any house I've ever lived in (hence rollers = chaff.)

Any tips, oh wise ones?

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Our gas furnace is around 15 years old, and we've been in the house for 11. I've never done anything other than change the filters. Furnace performance seems the same. YMMV.

-Dave

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Basically, all they do is vacuum off the element, check the igniter and check for leaks. I have my heating and air system serviced once a year and it costs about $150 and takes the tech about an hour and a half. That cost includes a new and one spare filter that are good for about six months each (big suckers).

Mort

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yikes, 6 months on a filter is a long time mort.

5. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

Have mine checked in the Fall before the weather gets cold. Basically they vacuum it out, check the electronic ignition, check the condition of the filter, look for leaks and check to see if the water pad on my humidifier needs to be replaced (it's attached to the furnace.) All told it runs about 75 bucks.

6. Mort Corey

You ain't seen these puppies [​IMG] Actually, they're designed to go nine months to a year but I figure it's cheap insurance. They're about five inches deep and heavily pleated. The heating part of the system doesn't really have to be cleaned annually but I'm just a little (lot) anal about maintenance of stuff.

Mort

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I've noticed the filters run between behemoth 1 year type filters to the ultra-cheap 1 month variety (which I use hehe.) I'd feel bad about churning out 5-6 of them a winter, but it's basically just a big piece of pressed paper in a paper sleeve (and is very inexpensive.) I figure it's 90% more biodegradable than all our other trash, so eh...

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Try to stick with a pleated filter, it sounds like you're referring to those plastic things, usually a blue sort of mesh? the pleateds do a nicer job and you can get the economy 3 packs at home cheapo or walmart for 6 bucks.
    the cheaper type are great for catching large bugs/small birds but not for catching much else.

9. John_Kiger

John_Kiger Agent

I'd consider a carbon monoxide detector if your furnace is older than 4 years. Be alert to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as everyone having severe headaches.

I can't picture paying someone $150 every year to inspect it, however. Perhaps every four years, but that's just me. We did invite someone out to change an igniter which had quit working. I agree with changing filters on some sort of schedule. We use 1" filters that supposedly go 90 days.

10. Mort Corey

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Mort's correct... there are certain filter solutions that don't require frequent replacement. I have a huge pleated filter (8+ inches thick at least) that calls for replacement every 4-5 years. These filters run $50-60 IIRC...

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

My dad's been a carrier dealer for 15+ years, I still wouldn't have one of those filters in a million years.