What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm wondering which of cast iron or stainless steel grates considered superior for cooking? CI is supposed to provide a more even heating surface while SS is considered more durable. I noticed that the further up the weber model ladder you climb, you tend to get SS over CI. Thoughts anyone?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I appreciate you folks responding with the notion that Weber Grills are rarely discounted...

...because I was wondering whether I should wait for some place to have a sale.

I guess not. :(

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've never seen a Weber discounted more than about $25. It happens in the winter, when the stores are clearing space for the next year's models. Technically they're on clearance -- I don't think they're allowed to have an actual "sale" on Webers.

I've heard once or twice that Stok is crap, but have no direct experience. Their claim to fame is interchangeable grill inserts, which interestingly enough are available on the new Webers (they call it the "Gourmet" system).

dfc85e47-8759-4351-ba6d-de1e3fb3cb5b_400.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mike Frezon said:
I appreciate you folks responding with the notion that Weber Grills are rarely discounted...

...because I was wondering whether I should wait for some place to have a sale.

I guess not. :(
I kinda feel like I got a discount by ordering from Amazon and not paying a sales tax.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Aaron Silverman said:
I've never seen a Weber discounted more than about $25. It happens in the winter, when the stores are clearing space for the next year's models. Technically they're on clearance -- I don't think they're allowed to have an actual "sale" on Webers.

I've heard once or twice that Stok is crap, but have no direct experience. Their claim to fame is interchangeable grill inserts, which interestingly enough are available on the new Webers (they call it the "Gourmet" system).

dfc85e47-8759-4351-ba6d-de1e3fb3cb5b_400.jpg
I searched and only found options like this for other than the Genesis system. Is this Available for the Genesis?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
I kinda feel like I got a discount by ordering from Amazon and not paying a sales tax.
I'm thinking I could buy mine from Target with my Target Credit Card and save 5% on the purchase = $35. They also give free shipping.

I'd have to assemble it myself...but that's okay as I was thinking--like Johnny--that I would at least be sure that it was put together right (as long as I can trust myself! ;) ).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My "Classic Turbo" from the pre-bankruptcy Barbeques Galore company is still trucking along at age 24......

Too bad the reorganized company isn't up to par.

All steel is covered with porcelain. It never rusts. The exposed aluminum castings just require a scrub and shot with BBQ paint every 5 years. The Jarra wood cart needs a restain at about 5 years too. This thing will truck on forever. Maybe that's why the company went BK.

I paid $500 in 1990. A very wise investment.

Patio Kitchen.jpg

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm curious about whether anyone here has considered going with a Big Green Egg, other ceramic cooker, or simply a charcoal grill? In the old days, a "top end" gas grill might cost $275, which was less than half of the BGE and ilk. But today's gas grills seem to start at the cost of a ceramic cooker and then just go insane after that. I made the switch 8 years ago and I love it and it was all about the cost as I finally had enough money to buy one. My previous one had rusted out and I just didn't care to get a new one. To me, meat on gas grills at best taste like cooked meat and at worst taste like gas and would never mistake it for the the taste of meat cooked over lump charcoal. Not to start a debate about which is better but more of an observation that gas grills seem more about the size of the grill than the quality of it or the food it cooks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think most of the comments in this thread, Chuck, have actually been about the quality of the grill--not it's size.

I know I'm sick about the darn things not lasting more than a few years.

I've only used gas grills dating back to the 80s and never had any issues with the meat tasting like gas.

The reason I prefer gas over charcoal is totally about the convenience (speed to cooking temperature) and the ease of use.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I didn't mean the posters in this thread were about size over quality as they were obviously trying to find something of quality. I meant the manufacturing and marketing of gas grills seem to be all about size over quality and therefore difficult to find a quality gas grill. Stepping into a big box store all I see are these monstrous grills with 4 digit price tags. I use my parent's gas grill while on vacation and the food doesn't taste like gas but it is just cooked meat. There is just no grill flavor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I'm wondering which of cast iron or stainless steel grates considered superior for cooking? CI is supposed to provide a more even heating surface while SS is considered more durable. I noticed that the further up the weber model ladder you climb, you tend to get SS over CI. Thoughts anyone?
Cast iron is better for cooking. Stainless steel is more durable. Cookware isn't made of stainless; at most it's stainless she'll (for durability and non-reactivity) wrapped around a copper or aluminum core (for conductivity). There are cast iron skillets, and they require proper seasoning and some ongoing care to not rust. (Grill grates are typically porcelain coated cast iron)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chuck Anstey said:
I didn't mean the posters in this thread were about size over quality as they were obviously trying to find something of quality. I meant the manufacturing and marketing of gas grills seem to be all about size over quality and therefore difficult to find a quality gas grill. Stepping into a big box store all I see are these monstrous grills with 4 digit price tags. I use my parent's gas grill while on vacation and the food doesn't taste like gas but it is just cooked meat. There is just no grill flavor.
I wish Weber made the Spirit line with Genesis quality. I don't need the size of a three burner grill normally. I'm making two burgers or two chicken breasts, typically. Charcoal vs gas: I choose simplicity. More power to you, for going charcoal. And life can be made easier with a chimney lighter or even a gas-fired grill to start a charcoal grill. (Doesn't the a Weber Q do something like that?) but in all, I'm going to grill much more if it's easy-peasy gas, versus the fine art of briquet arrangements.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
Gotcha now, Chuck. Clear as a bell. Sorry if I am sometimes dense! :biggrin: But, I am! :laugh:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Johnny, I have no idea which models offer that feature. Your guess is as good as mine. :)

Dave, is there that much difference in quality between the Spirit and Genesis lines?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Sam Posten said:
BTW I have the sear station on my genesis and never use it. The extra burners on the inside are great tho.

BTW2: Best recommendation I can make for taking your steak to the next level.:
http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BD_823-EC9864-ProdID11112894&pos=2&whse=bd_823&topnav=bd&prodid=10256248&lang=en-US
That is what I use, although I buy it in smaller containers. We don't like our steaks completely coated in that stuff because it makes it far too salty for our taste.

The best recommendation I can make is to find yourself a friend who raises a cow or two and try to buy the meat from them. I was visiting family and my brother-in-law had a friend selling off the last of their meat from their cow and cheaper than USDA Select at the cheap ass supermarket to boot. There was just no comparison to any prime meat I have ever found. If they had had more left I would have bought all they had (or would sell), found some dry ice, and brought it back on our 1300 mile drive home. It all starts with the meat.

After thinking about what I wrote and what I wanted to say, I realized I very poorly conveyed what I meant. I think it all boils down to: When you went looking for a gas grill and found the quality lacking and the price tag really high, did you wave your hands and say "Forget all this fancy crap! I'm going back to a grill that uses lump charcoal. Simpler design, lasts longer, and the flavor is worth the extra effort."?
I'm going to grill much more if it's easy-peasy gas, versus the fine art of briquet arrangements.
Lump charcoal only, no briquets. No special arrangement and light using an electric starter. the kind with the circular ring at the end that gets red hot after a minute.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Dave, is there that much difference in quality between the Spirit and Genesis lines?
Aaron:

I'm not Dave, but I had the same question. A quick stop to my local Lowe's answered it for me.

Different build quality. Plastic where there's metal..that sort of thing. And then there's the Summit line!
speechless-smiley-020.gif

HERE'S a breakdown of the different lines.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Johnny, I have no idea which models offer that feature. Your guess is as good as mine. :)

As stated, better build quality. Basically you get what you pay for. Genesis is heavier guage steel, better fittings, better hardware, etc. No experience with the Spirit, but the Genesis models my family has owned are tanks. Buy a cover and they should last 10+ years with very few troubles (i.e. burner / rack replacement).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
BTW I have the sear station on my genesis and never use it. The extra burners on the inside are great tho.
That extra inside burner is the sear station. Or did you mean the side cooker (for a pot of sauce or veggies)?

Aaron Silverman said:

As other said, slightly lower quality materials. The stainless steel is a bit thinner for the body. I've heard they are still high quality. I don't know that the Genesis is really worth double the Spirit. This is a low-information purchase :) But consistent recommendations from multiple sources is "Weber Genesis". So I'm doing it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks