What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My son just bought a house. He wants a gas grill...but doesn't want to spend a ton of money on it...maybe a few hundred bucks.

He probably doesn't need a three burner grill. Two would probably do.

Normally, I would sell him on the Weber...telling him it's a long-term investment.

But with all the news about the quality cutbacks, I'm not so sure that's the right way to go.
I would still go with a Weber.....even if they are lesser quality today, they're still way better quality than 99% of the grills on the market. I've had the Genesis for 4 years now, best grill I've ever had, shows little to no sign of even coming close to wearing out. The Genesis is probably too big but the Spirit 2 burner would do the trick. My FIL has one and it will outlast him!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does he have natural gas out on the patio?

I still like my Broil King. Lowes now doesn't display them but they are still available for order on their website (I checked just a day or so ago).

I don't know. He hasn't been able to tell me. I think he hasn't looked yet. Things have been a bit of a whirlwind. If not, he is actually considering looking into a hookup since he's got a gas stove in the kitchen.

I would still go with a Weber.....even if they are lesser quality today, they're still way better quality than 99% of the grills on the market. I've had the Genesis for 4 years now, best grill I've ever had, shows little to no sign of even coming close to wearing out. The Genesis is probably too big but the Spirit 2 burner would do the trick. My FIL has one and it will outlast him!!!

Those were the two ways I was thinking to advise him: a smaller Weber or maybe a Broil King (based solely on your positive experience, Dennis).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's really getting into the season now. A few days ago a tri-tip steak, yesterday a country-style pork rib, and tonight marinated chicken thighs. My Beppe grill gives 5 star results!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And that's exactly what we did!

Lowe's (and the same deal is currently available on Amazon) has the Weber Spirit E II 210 on sale for $349 now--but it's last year's model!

THIS is significant because it's the same model which has been part of their line since 2013. Their 2018 models are pared back even further. It looks like there's even more plastic, etc. The 2018 Spirit E-210 is open on the bottom.

Here is an image from it's inaugural run. My dogs Ernest & Petey were on hand to make sure everything was being done correctly:

full

The burgers and chicken were to die for. it didn't hurt that it was a cold/damp night in the northeast US. The food tasted that much better! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was an interesting experience grill shopping with him.

He already knew I was partial to the Webers. And he knew why.

But when he was standing in the Lowe's looking at all the shiny new models he kept wondering why he would spend that much ($349) on such a small grill when he could get a HUGE Char-Broil for the same amount of money. :laugh:

He's lucky he's not going to have to find out the hard way.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
It was an interesting experience grill shopping with him.

He already knew I was partial to the Webers. And he knew why.

But when he was standing in the Lowe's looking at all the shiny new models he kept wondering why he would spend that much ($349) on such a small grill when he could get a HUGE Char-Broil for the same amount of money. :laugh:

He's lucky he's not going to have to find out the hard way.
Congrats! Here's wishing a lifetime of good grilling to your son!

As an aside, I'm so glad I got my E-330 back in 2015 (and hoping it will last a LONG TIME). I hate the open bottom design of the new Weber's, really makes them look cheap IMO. My 2015 model still looks new, no rust, and it's used 2-3 times a week year round (and more than that during the summer).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As an aside, I'm so glad I got my E-330 back in 2015 (and hoping it will last a LONG TIME). I hate the open bottom design of the new Weber's, really makes them look cheap IMO. My 2015 model still looks new, no rust, and it's used 2-3 times a week year round (and more than that during the summer).

My Genesis E-310 (purchased in 2014 on a GREAT deal) slumbers most of the winter here in the NE...but also looks great--nearly brand new. The only thing I've replaced so far is the cover!

I agree about the new design. They might not be made cheaply...but they "look cheap."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What’s the favorite grill(s) now? A friend is buying a new grill for a new home. He’s leaning strongly towards a Weber Genesis 300-series, what I’ve got. From what I’ve read here, I’m wondering if I should give him an alternate option.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I steered my son to a Weber Spirit II (last year's model), Dave. It's really solid. Much more solid than this year's model.

You might be able to find a 2017 Genesis around. They seem to have a surplus of some older models which are available through the big retailers and e-tailers (Amazon, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). I think going for last year's model makes a lot of sense in this case.

I feel good about the Weber my kid ended up with. He's been using it nearly every day.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I cooked up some ribs and corn on the cob tonight on my Weber.

But before I did, I gave it a FULL deep cleaning. Used warm soap and water on the exterior and cabinet underneath. And cleaned out the burner area and drip tray. Long overdue. Layers of pollen, char and grease came off nice and neat.

How often do you guys clean your grills?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A friend bought the latest Weber Genesis model, the one with the open body. Having seen it in action and given it a bit of thought, I like it. I think that open body could actually be easier to use the closed-door model I've got, from before the 2016(?) redesign. That gives easy access to anything you're storing in there. For me, instead of cramming the rotisserie spit in diagonally, I could lay it flat. Additionally, it has the integrated base for the digital thermometer, which I have.

In any case, he grilled burgers and they were good. :)

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I cooked up some ribs and corn on the cob tonight on my Weber.

But before I did, I gave it a FULL deep cleaning. Used warm soap and water on the exterior and cabinet underneath. And cleaned out the burner area and drip tray. Long overdue. Layers of pollen, char and grease came off nice and neat.

How often do you guys clean your grills?
I do the full treatment like you did in the early Spring (right before we have our first major cookout at Easter), then again after Labor Day weekend which is our last major cookout of the summer. Other than that, just brushing and oiling the grates and emptying the pan underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks