What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I used to have one of those vegetable grill bowls! It didn't survive the move to Virginia. And I didn't use it very much. I mostly grill Asparagus and Squashes and Corn, which I do directly on the grill.

:P

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Used the new veggie basket!

Here are the total of the instructions that came with it:

full

And here is the basket pre-heating! :D

full

And then, the results! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

full

full

full

full

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now that the chilly, rainy spring has transmogrified into hot, sweaty summer I'm trying to grill more for dinner. Did some burgers last night. Lately, I've done "standard" burgers: 80/20 beef formed into patties, sprinkled with Kosher salt, and grilled aiming for Med-Rare. Last night I went back to how I used to do burgers, with flavorings mixed in: shredded aged cheddar, Kosher salt and garlic powder. They came out pretty well, but I continue to overcook quarter-pound patties. I do better with third-pound, but that's too much for a normal meal. I really need to cut my cook time down to about 6 min total for a 1/4-lb burger.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Now that the chilly, rainy spring has transmogrified into hot, sweaty summer I'm trying to grill more for dinner. Did some burgers last night. Lately, I've done "standard" burgers: 80/20 beef formed into patties, sprinkled with Kosher salt, and grilled aiming for Med-Rare. Last night I went back to how I used to do burgers, with flavorings mixed in: shredded aged cheddar, Kosher salt and garlic powder. They came out pretty well, but I continue to overcook quarter-pound patties. I do better with third-pound, but that's too much for a normal meal. I really need to cut my cook time down to about 6 min total for a 1/4-lb burger.
I lightly saute some minced garlic and very finely chopped onion til very lightly golden, then add to my ground beef before making my patties.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I grilled the ultimate cheapskate's dinner last night. I got corn on the cob 12 for $1.87 and a pair of lobster tails (today sell-by date) for $6.

Cut the tails in half and soak in garlic butter, then grill with corn. Eat with Sessions beer. Sessions is the budget brand of Full Sail.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I finally bit the bullet and paid a plumber to install a natural gas line out to the patio.

The home builder cheaped out and installed a 1/2" line from the garage to the kitchen's stove and living room gas fireplace. With the BTU ratings tapped out, I had to pay to install a new 40 foot CSST 1/2" line from the garage to the patio. If you look on Lowes/Home Depot you will find that a coil of CSST to support that retails at about $150.

775d454f-c160-46c7-a7ab-d489632d66bd_400.jpg

Materials cost was about $250 and total cost was a bit over $900 including all the extra "test" parts installation to support the permits and inspections. I was hoping to pay more in the $500-$600 range but life is like that. I'm getting older and it's more difficult to haul around propane tanks.

I'll convert the BBQ when the new orifices show up next week. I already have the hose and pipe fittings installed. The conversion to natural gas should be amortized in a few years, although now more years than I had planned. A 5 gallon propane tank here costs about $14 to refill, not including gasoline and hassle of driving down to Suburban Propane. The equivalent BTUs in home natural gas is almost nothing in comparison.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK here's the calculations.

One therm = 100K BTUs.
Gallon of propane - 91K BTUs.

You can fill a propane tank with about 4.3 gallons, or 391K BTUs, for about $14.

That's 3.91 therms.

Here natural gas ends up being billed, net, at $0.71 per therm. So the equivalent tank full would be $2.77.

That's a huge savings. Propane is FIVE TIMES as expensive as delivered natural gas.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think you'll love. You're grilling so much, you'll really appreciate not running out and having to replace propane tanks.

It's a luxury, but I think it's luxury money well spent.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Living where natural gas is not available must xxxx. Gas is just there 24/7 with no homeowner intervention, like electricity or the telephone. I can't imagine having to schedule delivery of "home heating oil" for your furnace.

It's really a luxury living in a new house with all underground utilities. No loss of electricity or cable no matter how many trees fall down in a storm.

I should have done this years ago. I'll probably convert the Camp Chef too so my outdoor kitchen will be more useful. It's good to be able to cook "messy" things out doors, such as deep frying or making a batch of paella.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Dave, I just went back and read through this thread. Did your natural gas Weber come with an internal gas pressure regulator? I see you hooked it up with the flex line straight to your natural gas tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks