What's new

Gas, and fuel-efficient cars, is this true? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't need to see an accident to know of it's occurence, there are such things as newspapers and tv and radio news.
When I read in the newspaper that a 44 year old woman with 2 children aboard her SUV was killed because it rolled over when she attempted to avoid another vehicle or road obstruction in a sudden evasive maneuver I don't need to know what soccer league her kids are in.

SUVs aren't the only vehicles on the road that have accidents and fatalities, but they fact remains that a panic maneuver that is usually inconsequential in a sedan can and does too frequently result in a fatal rollover accident in an SUV. Even the manufacturers recognize this fact to a certain extent. Most Frame-based SUVs from Toyota have vehicle skid control, traction control, and antilock brakes as standard equipment in an effort to minimize the danger of rollover in panic maneuvers. The center of gravity on the new 4Runner is considerably lower than previous models. Sure, they want to avoid lawsuits, but the inclusion of these features as standard while it's still optional on sedans must tell even the most stubborn apologists for SUVs that there is a significant sacrifice in emergency handling stability on an SUV.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Correct. As stated above, a whopping 2-3% of accidents result in a rollover. I've changed my mind and can now see the justification for all this outrage, given the fact that only a portion of these rollovers are SUV's (a significant proportion, I'll admit) and the SUV is found to be safer than the average auto in the other 97% of accidents. Yup, it is quite clear that there is absolutely no bias other than the fact that the SUV is a "death machine" in rollovers. :rolleyes

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Getting back to the efficiency thing-

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=234399

Who says diesels can't go fast?

http://www.gtr34.com/pictures/diesel...d/DSCF0055.AVI

Video taken by a fellow AcuraTL.com member (note his speedo is mph, not kmh), on A5 near Frankfurt.

Cool link that explains the tech-

http://www.world.honda.com/HDTV/news..._1a/index.html

Of course, there's probably ZERO chance of seeing this in the US.:rolleyes

Also note, that's the Euro-spec Accord, which is virtually identical to the Acura TSX here (or more correctly, vice versa).

Todd

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Come on, 'beating a dead horse' does not even describe what's going on here. We've already established time and time again that the argument anti-suv folks provide is nothing but hypocrisy and denial of the highest degree.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
You've, not we've. I've made it plainly clear that I'm not at all concerned about rollovers.

I'm trying to get back to topic, but apparently, it's not working.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I know. You are concerned that the SUV "causes" 4 times more deaths in the other vehicle than are suffered by the occupant of the SUV (as opposed to "driving a small car is 4 times as deadly to it's occupants than driving an SUV). Yet it has been stated (by you) that the percentage of deaths in multi-car vehicles involving SUV's is equal to the percentage of SUV's on the road. So, would you like the deaths to be distributed equally by vehicle instead of by accident? It seems that SUV accidents involving death occur at the same rate as accidents not involving SUV's but less SUV occupants die in those accidents. Would you prefer if more of those deaths happened to the drivers or passengers of the SUV instead of the other car? Spreading that death around evenly is fair to everyone, right?

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Christ- The point I was making had nothing to do with soccer. I used it as an example as it was the language used in the original post. The point is that the original post was making assumptions based upon unsubstantiated stereotypes. There is absolutely no way of knowing that the "usual person you see" driving an SUV, has no experience driving such vehicles just because they appear to fit a particular demographic. Maybe your newspaper is different, but I've never seen an article that said, "a mother and two children were killed in an SUV rollover. Although the mother has been a licensed driver for 14 years, previous to owning the SUV involved in Tuesday's accident she had driven a honda CRX. Before this she owned a Prelude."

It's a ridiculous statement.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I saw this report in USA today. Interesting read. My '00 Grand Prix GTP should be pretty similiar to the 2004 model. 10.9% for a Grand Prix GT. Not too shabby. And I've got taunter performance suspension, probably bigger tires, etc. :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
GTPs are zexy, why can't more American 4-doors be that way? Well I guess the 300C and CTS-V are finally turning some heads ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks