What's new

Gas $1.53 in Jackson Tenn (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
For the last few mos gas at 3 stations in South Jackson are
low. Today at Texaco is $1.53, the station across the street is $1.56. It has been low like this the last 2 mos.
There have been about a 8 car wait on all pumps.

About 5 miles in the North part of Jackson gas is solid
$1.78 Exxon's are now $1.89.

Gas is going down Today price is lowest bbl@ $36.00
http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/

The weather channel has a story on Jackson's Gas.
Rumor is CNN is coming..

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
gas prices here finally dropped down 7 cents
of course it's hard to compare to US prices.
79.9 a litre is what we were getting used to.

makes me glad i don't have to drive after the summer's over

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Damn, and I felt good about finding a Chevron that sold 89 Octane for $2.30 a gallon in So-Cal! ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
David,

Those are some good prices. Here in Virginia, the lowest I can find 87 octane for is $1.75 a gallon. But, it is going down.

But since, I have nearly 1,000 shares of Exxon-Mobil stock, I would prefer that you fill up at their stations so my stock prices can remain inflated. ;) ;) ;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I have to feed my Grand Prix GTP premium (91 or higher, that generally means 93 here in MI). I was flabbergasted by the gas prices in Souther California (we were on honeymoond). I normally ignore gas prices (I really laugh at everyone stressing over a few cents, no offense).

But man, when I had to pay $2.79 a gallon for 91 octane near the California border I felt the pain. Whew! We went from like $2.09 in New Mexico to $2.40ish in Nevada to $2.79 near the California border (we later paid $2.50ish nearer to LA). Between that and the traffic jams, I can see why there were so many little 4-cylinder cars rolling around the freeways!

David McGough

Second Unit
>I miss the .69 to .77 per gallon in 98-99 in Indiana.

Me too that was great.
I can actually remember the last time I filled up at .75 a gallon.

When they make to much and have no place to put it. It comes down.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
It's about $2.06 here in WA state, highest it's been is around $2.18

Still think it's going to get to $3.00 by the end of the summer?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Nah.

Yeah, SURE, NOW $2.00 doesn't sound so bad and everyone is relieved and HAPPY to pay it! I call B.S. on the oil companies/producers for driving up prices to make a $.30 average increase more palatable.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Shawn,

It could be worse. Wisconsin's got an automatic gas tax increase that goes up every year, regardless. We've got the highest tax in the nation. Wee! Gas is about 2.00 in Milwauke at last check, about 1.95 around Fond du Lac where I live. What a pain.

Not only are the oil companies screwing us, our own Government is too! Joy!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's the only "conspiracy theory" that I somewhat believe. But, I halfway believe that game companies when they say that the reason gas prices are higher in some regions is due to the different summer formulations that are required in some states. They just charge twice what the additional cost would be.

The govt. needs to have 1 national formulation standard.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
It's about $1.85 here at the Sams and about 1.92 at stations for the low grade stuff. Our Governor declared August to decrease the gas tax by 8 cents per gallon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Still doesn't explain how the same gas coming off the same truck in the same state can be priced up to $0.10/gal. different from town-to-town.

All the gas/oil companies are in collusion with each other to set the maximum price possible in each given market zone (i.e. each town). My parents own a Sunoco franchise and when the Sunoco manager adjusts our pump prices, it has nothing to do with the cost of oil or what it actually costs them to produce. It depends wholly on what the two stations down the street are charging. They drop their price, Sunoco drops our price. They raise their price, Sunoco raises our price. It's a total fix.

When gas prices were rising, we were always close to the "national average" as announced to the national media each week. Now that prices are falling, our prices remain about 5 cents higher than the "national average." These companies don't hesitate to jack the prices up as quick as possible with every political hiccup around the globe, but they're as slow as molasses in January at bringing them back down when oil prices fall.

I firmly believe gas/oil prices should be government regulated. The free market has failed in this case and the gas/oil companies are abusing the public trust.

But hey, what corporation isn't these days.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
The biggest diffrence state to state is the cost of operating the buisness and the taxes. Georgia has state income tax but little or no gas tax. Florida has no income tax but does have gas tax. The same rule as why an engineer here may start at 45k a year but in cali. start at 75k and the real estate is the smae way. I think everyone gets it from the producers for the same amount though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
1.67 here in KC on the Missouri side, seven cents higher on the Kansas side..

The low of the country is way south of us.. an indian reservation with a gas station.. today's price: .84 cents :)

(That's what you get when you take all the taxes off)

I have a hard time griping about gas.. my wife drinks bottled water.. the cost of that for a gallon is something like $8.. and that's just freaking drinking water.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

This "zone" pricing that these companies use is a formula in and of itself. Two stations from the same company could have different prices on opposite street corners - just because they fall into different zones. Plus, zones can be established differenty by incomes. Some neighborhoods will pay more because their incomes are greater.

We could go on an on regarding zone pricing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
there is a town near me (hanover) that has two shell stations within 75 yards of each other on the same side of the same road (rt 53), and their prices differ about $0.07/gal. of course, the one closer to the highway costs more. while you are at one station, you can SEE the other one, and one costs more. :rolleyes

CJ

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yup, I've noticed that too. Kind of like hanging out at the beach. You can get sunburned in a few hours, but it takes more than a few days to heal from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks