Gary Payton a Laker?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jan H, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

If ESPN's report is correct, Gary Payton will sign with the Lakers on July 16. Karl Malone has said he will also join the club if Payton is on board. If true, this is a glorious day for Laker fans. Especially welcome, in light of the Kobe situation. With 4 Hall-of-Famers in the starting line-up, look out NBA!

2. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Assuming Kobe's not in prison, that's going to be a pretty scary team next season. Especially if Shaq decides to show up in any kind of shape other than round.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Gary would count $4.9 million towards the salary cap. Now, the big question is whether Karl will play for a pithy $1.5 million just to get that ring.

4. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

He will.

I think he cares more about the ring than he does about another huge paycheck.

He'll sign.

Michael.

5. Justin1

Justin1 Stunt Coordinator

I don't see this team doing that well if both Payton and Malone sign with the Lakers. That's just too much ego for one team. If just Payton signs, the Lakers could be terrific.

Every other team with that much free agent talent has failed to win the title (Portland, Dallas) because the leader role is always shifting. Totaling all four of their scoring averages comes to around 100 without the rest of the team. That's just too much testosterone for one locker room.

6. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Payton a Laker? Ooh, I can't wait until he comes to Seattle! Should be some noise that night. Remember what happened with A-Rod the first time he came back to play.

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I disagree. It would be different if Payton and Malone were joining an average team (like Indiana) and trying to build a superpower, that's what you have in Portland and Dallas. This is more like adding Kukoc and Rodman to the Bulls.

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:

"I don't see this team doing that well if both Payton and Malone sign with the Lakers. That's just too much ego for one team. If just Payton signs, the Lakers could be terrific.

Every other team with that much free agent talent has failed to win the title (Portland, Dallas) because the leader role is always shifting. Totaling all four of their scoring averages comes to around 100 without the rest of the team. That's just too much testosterone for one locker room"
    ------------------------

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But the reason it WOULD WORK is PHIL JACKSON. [​IMG]

9. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

It has been reported that Malone will sign for the verteran minimum of ~$1.8million just to get the 1 thing he doesn't have a ring. I think along with it he will accept a smaller role with the team.

10. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

What's the last team to have had four (potential) hall of famers starting for them? Or, if we don't count Malone yet, three hall of famers?

Houston a few years back had a combo of [Hakeem, Berkeley, Drexler] and [Hakeem, Berkeley, Pippen.] Of course, I think it's easily arguable that they were all past their prime.

11. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'm a Laker fan but I would say it's too early to call Kobe a HOFer. (Can you say, "Anfernee Hardaway"?)

I like the idea of Payton in the lineup. Derek Fisher is better coming off the bench to provide a spark. Payton's role would not be that much different than what he's been used to. He'll still have the ball in his hands a lot, although he'll be looking for more passes and fewer shots. I think GP brings plenty to the table other than scoring.

I'm not sure I like Malone in the lineup. He's used to taking a lot of shots and having lots of plays called for him. I'd rather have a dedicated banger who's used to doing dirty work. Maybe P.J. Brown. Although someone like Brown probably will want a bigger contract than the Lakers can afford.

I think one of the keys to the Lakers' success is that Kobe and Shaq have learned to play together. Then when Shaq rests, Kobe can let his creativity and ego fly when he plays with the second unit. If you put another big scoring ego on the first or second unit, I see conflicts. I think the Lakers should make sure they have a good perimeter player to complement Kobe on the second unit. Looking at this list , Jon Barry would fit the bill.

12. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

13. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I keep hearing Payton being mentioned as a HOF'er but I am not sure. I'm in Seattle but not an avid Sonic or NBA fan so I don't really know his career fully. I think he'll receive a great reception here though, unlike A-Rod who I think was a bit unfairly boo-ed here. Payton was traded, and while he's not the nicest guy around, I think Seattle fans generally love him and what's he's done for Sonic basketball. A-Rod conversely, was only around for a few years, and hadn't left that much of a mark here.

Listening to talk radio around here, people were a bit sad to see Payton go, many vehemently objected to the mere thought of trading him, considering him Mr. Sonic basketball, but I think most came to realize it was a good decision for the team. A-Rod however, you'd think he snuck into people's houses at night and murdered their families the way people talked about him after he signed with Texas.

Chris

14. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The Lakers already have a problem with Shaq and Kobe both wanting to be the main man. Add the huge egos of Payton and Malone and you've got a big problem. Not enough basketballs to go around on that team. Besides, Malone's nothing without Stockton. [​IMG]

15. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Reason #38 on why I hate (envy?) the Lakers!

I don't think the egos are going to be a factor. Winning games and championships are always good for team morale. It would only become a factor if they were losing which I can't see them doing.

Besides, KM and GP are already putting their egos aside to accept lesser money to grab on the coattails of Shaq and Kobe. I don't think there is any doubt in their minds that Shaq and Kobe are the big dogs on the team. These guys are professionals, they know what their role will be when they join the team. If they wanted stats then they would have re-signed with their previous teams. On the Buck or Jazz, even at their age, they would be the alpha-males.

With that said, I hope they get every coveted free agent on the market, go through the season with no major injuries, and STILL LOSE!

16. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

17. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Payton is a definite future Hall-of-Famer. In fact, I'd make the argument that he was the 2nd best all-around guard during the '90's (next to MJ, of course). Great passer, scorer and defender. And, uh, yeah, Kobe is going into the Hall, too, eventually. As for the ludicrous Hardaway comparison, I've got two words for you: 3 Rings.

18. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Being a major component of three or six rings is a lock for HOF. If Payton wins his ring then he'll be a lock as well. I think he's going in anyway but I know it is possible that he could miss out. He is certainly more deserving than a good number of current members.

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

20. Sean Dilly

Sean Dilly Agent

whoever is saying Kobe is already a hall of famer, get out of here..i totally agree with Dan. You have to be dominant over your entire career. BTW, Kobe has not really accomplished much yet other than the 3 rings. Im sure he will before his career is over but he needs to get a few MVP's, some more rings, and more personal achievments to be even considered a HOF.