Gary Cooper Collection in May!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  2. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

Another wait and see set....but I'd sure like to have it.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    While Universal doesn't really put a lot of effort everywhere, they DO take great care in remastering the Paramount films.

The remasters on the Marx Bros. and W.C. Fields sets look incredible, in terms of transfer quality (even if some of the films had less than optimal film materials to work with).

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Not necessarily true in regard to some Paramount titles. Case in point, "The Plainsman" a Cooper/Paramount film and "Whispering Smith" Ladd/Paramount film, both of these titles were released by Universal last year. I don't know for sure that Universal is totally to blame for video presentations that I think could've been better, but I'm not as confident in Universal's output of Paramount films like I am in Warner's output of MGM and RKO titles.

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I'm quite pleased with this announcement, particularly since PETER IBBETSON and LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER are in the set, reason enough to get it, IMHO. An interesting move by Universal, as this and the upcoming Brando set move these collections beyond "franchises" like Universal Monsters, Abbott & Costello, Ma & Pa Kettle, etc, as a way to get some good, but somewhat lesser-known titles out there by bundling them under a star's name.

Hopefully, they'll do a Fred MacMurray Collection along these lines, so we can get some good stuff like REMEMBER THE NIGHT and MURDER HE SAYS (though I'm pretty sure DOUBLE INDEMNITY is something that would be released as a stand-alone title, or in a film noir set).

6. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

7. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Universal for these wonderful Gary Cooper titles.
    If only this could be the start of a commitment to the great Paramount movies/stars and directors of the 1930/1940 period. Sets of Claudette Colbert/Marlene Dietrich/Mae West/ Fred MacMurray/Wilder/Lubitsch/Leisen/the Cecil B. DeMille titles and more.... could keep our collector's wallets empty for quite awhile.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

While I'm glad I'll finally get Beau Geste & LOABL on DVD, I'm a little apprehensive about cramming 5 feature films on 2 discs. I'm not one to purchase low quality, bargain basement releases just because it's a deal.

Hopefully this turns out OK, but let's face it this is hapless Universal so I'll be watching for reviews in any case.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    These will almost certainly be on two DVD-18s or one DVD-18 and a DVD-14 like the Universal Monster and Franchise collections, so I am not all that worried about the available bitrate as long as they don't run into technical glitches. The total running time for all five films comes to less than 8-1/2 hours.

Regards,

10. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Nice to see "Peter Ibbetson" (1935) being released. I'd get the set just for a nice copy of that. I well remember in the 1970s, as a kid, watching that on a late show one night, not knowing anything about it, and becoming quite astonished by it, as it descended further and further into some rather wild fantasy elements. It's indeed an old favorite; as is "The General Died at Dawn" (1936).

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Not one bum note here; here's hoping Universal's transfers are up to snuff.

12. Armin Jager

Armin Jager Stunt Coordinator

Again like with Fox' Noir Collection it's for me as a fan from Germany more exciting to see this release than Warners essential classics simply because they are quite unavailable here.
    Design for Living and Peter Ibbetson aside, none of the other films is shown on TV (and German TV is quite good). To get General, Bengal Lancer and Beau Geste ... that's simply great!!!

That's something I strongly support, Universal has a real treasure with Paramount's 30's and 40's movies, maybe the release of the Cooper collection and The Palm Beach Story are good signs.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    As long as the moviews look good and the discs actually work, I'll probably get this. The A&C and Ma and PA sets both look really good. My problem is Universal doesn't seem to have a good track record with me and their flipper discs. I've had to return almost everyone at least once to get working copies.

14. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Does this sort of release from other studios signify the beginning of a snowball effect based on Warner's success with their classics and Star themed box sets?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I'm not sure if this is particularly inspired by Warners' success. It seems more like a logical extension of Universal's "Franchise Collection" approach from last year where they package several catalog titles into a single modestly priced release.

Regards,

16. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    BEAU GESTE is a Classic and is worth the price of the set alone.

Now if only Universal can bring out Mae West, Janette McDonald, Maurice Chevalier, Clara Bow, Helen Kane, Cary Grant, William Holden, Dorothy Lamour, Susan Haywood, Betty Hutton and of course more of W.C.Fields and please, a lot more of one of the greatest recording stars of all time, Bing Crosby.
    What I wouldn't give to see some of Crosby's early titles.

Universal has generally done a fine job releasing the older Paramount Titles.
    The quality has been mostly good and price wise they're exceptionally good value.