What's new

Garmine 2610/20, Magellan 700, TomTom Go700??? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
George,

I think you made a smart, informed decision and will be happy with your selection. PDAs, while certainly functional (probably more so even), just can't offer the same ease-of-use as a dedicated GPS unit in my opinion. It's the same reason that I use an iPod instead of a PDA with some removable media. You'll have to keep us updated on your experience with the TomTom 700 unit!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
As we draw closer to the release date of the TomTom GO 700, a few more mentions are trickling in.

I've found the following at PCMag.com. In it, the reviewers rate the Lowrance and the TomTom GO 300 as the top of the heap, edging out last year's Editors' Choice, the Magellan RoadMate 700.

Own the Road This Summer

At another enthusiast site, the reviewer tears apart the TomTom GO 300 to discover why its sonics are head and shoulders better than the rest - the speaker is gigantic.

TomTom GO 300 Review @ PocketGPS World

But it appears that Magellan is not resting on its laurels - a site now lists the RoadMate 760 with a release date of September '05. The primary difference is the increase to 20 gb hard drive and a slew of other software upgrades.

RoadMate 760/700/300 Comparison Chart

Here is a discussion of software upgrades for the 700 with the advent of the 760.

RoadMate 760 discussion

I like the form of the GO 700, along with its speakers and satellite pickup time (based on its sibling the 300), so I'm still leaning toward buying it at Costco.com in a week.

I'm still hoping that a full-fledged review will make an appearance soon. If anyone can locate other reviews and link them here, that would be great.

Just recognized the confusing manufacturers' nomenclature - both TomTom and Magellan have current model lineups with the 700 & 300 designation.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for the links, Peter.

I was almost ready to cancel my preorder for the TTG 700, in favor of the Roadmate 760, based on its features, but the extra $300+ puts it out of my price range. The two features that I liked best were the Optimized route with multiple destinations, and the 7 million POI's.

But, I'm guessing that since TomTom has an Itinerary funtion, a future firmware update will allow a route optimization of the itinerary. If they don't, then it'll be a missed opportunity.

Nice improvements to the Roadmate, though.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks