What's new

Garfield: The Movie IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
I have mixed feelings about a Garfield movie. I would much rather see a film version of "Monty" (formerly known as "Robotman & Monty").

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love interest? For Jon Arbuckle? Have these people ever read the strip? :rolleyes
Breckin Meyer is not Jon Arbuckle. :thumbsdown:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The only way a Garfield movie would work...

If it was done Winsor McCay style. Basically, make it animated in the style of the cartoon and have Garfield speak with thought bubbles while the rest of characters speak aurally.

I'm just glad that Bill Watterson isn't letting HIS comic get cheap-o-fied by a movie.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Love interest? For Jon Arbuckle? Have these people ever read the strip?
I'm all for it as long as her character is extremely weird and they split in the end. That's how it's been done in the strip at least once.

Nater

Grip
Production has started -- confirmed by the official Garfield.com website here.
20th Century Fox announced today that they have given the Garfield Movie the "green light" and production will begin as early as March 10th.
While the voice behind Garfield has not yet been cast, Breckin Meyer (Clueless, Can't Hardly Wait, Road Trip) has been cast as Garfield's owner "Jon Arbuckle," and Jennifer Love Hewitt has been signed to play "Liz."
The movie hits theatres December 19, 2003
Also, there's news on that page about the release of 121 Garfield & Friends episodes and 12 standalone prime-time specials starting this fall. At least we can be excited about this, even if the movie flops... :) They're releasing something on Home Video and DVD... but it's not clear whether that's all the episodes or the 25th Anniversary special or just what exactly. More info on that here

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I wasn't aware Lorenzo Music had died... that's too bad. I always liked him as the voice of Garfield and Peter Venkman on the Real Ghostbusters when I was a kid.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
That's good news indeed...until i heard it is going to be live action. I'd rather stick to the classic animated cartoons.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
A British site called thezreview says that Will Ferrel is the frontrunner to play Lyman, that John Goodman or George Wendt will be Garfield, and that Chevy Chase will play a character called Dr. Davis.

I still think Bill Murray would be the best Garfield (after Music of course).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chevy Chase will play a character called Dr. Davis.
So now we're creating new characters, too? Hell, while we're at it, why not make Garfield a girl and have him voiced by Wanda Sykes? If Chevy Chase were to have any role, it should be Doc Boy.
I think a better choice for Jon would be Daniel Stern.
I'm also officially uninterested. Sad, coming from a life-long fan. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>I liked Garfield as a kid, and I really liked the cartoon, but now I only read it out of habit, it never makes me laugh.>

Same here. Although it makes me laugh on occasion when there's a new joke, or funny visual that you havn't seen before. But after 24 years, it has gotten a bit stale.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I never thought of that option. Has it been confirmed w hat style they are using? A Scooby Doo-ish Garfield, or a Rocky and bullwinkle Garfield?

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Woohoo! If that's true, then it's great news! He was the only well-known actor who I thought could honestly pull the voice off.
My anticipation for this movie has just increased... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks