Garfield/Davis Book Tour? Anyone attend?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

IS it worth heading into NY to see this guy speak at a boko Tour? I've been a Garfield fan for a while now(Hell, we're even the same age [​IMG] ), and I'm wondering how entertaining the event is...

Thanks..

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmmm, unless you're a huge fan a book tour speech doesn't seem too thrilling. But you're only in NJ, plan on seeing a show with a group of friends if you do go.

3. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I don't mean this to be an attack on the thread at all, but I figured it would be a good place to ask. Can anyone confirm that Jim Davis even draws Garfield anymore?

I'm reminded of Bill Watterson's essay in the Calvin and Hobbes 10th Anniversary book, where he writes about how he wrote every panel and drew every strip. Anyone familliar with Watterson's views knows that he was against selling out, and in support of the artistic integrity of the strip.

Contrast that to the Garfield "20 years and still kicking" Anniversary book, where Jim Davis boasts that he spends "three days a month" writing the next month's panels with a group of story editors. I also got the impression that he just approved the artwork and signed it.

I used to be a huge Garfield fan when I was younger, I even wrote Jim Davis a fan letter, but after reading the 20th anniversary book it really killed the fun of it.

Bob